Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"now this time it wasnt me, i swear!" (heater smell problem)

cant find too similar posts on thread, so...

its hot

my car overheats w/ a/c on sometimes

i turn on heat to bring the temp down

eery smells of black-death-infested rats enters through vents

upchucking begins

heat goes off immediately

most of the probs ive seen in other posts is that its actually cold when this happens. is my prob most likely the heater core, or is some animal infesting my hose lines? thanks, skeet

Probably lots of mold and mildew inside the area of your heater core A/C fins inside the dash.......U gotta take it apart and spray it down with cleaner you can get just for that purpose.........Good luck!!!!!! P.S. Does your drain tube drip properly after running the A/C???? If not then the line is clogged adding to the problem you now have........

If it smells like something died in there, then most likely something did. You will need to take the ducting apart and drop the squirrel cage out of the housing to find the deceased varmit. Then clean liberaly with the strongest disenfectant you can find. You may still have to use air freshners for a while. Winter is coming, you dont want to gag everytime you turn the heater on :dead:

thanks te ye all fer de help.

rob, i really hope it isnt a dead animal. that would be just nasty. im friends w/ the guy that sold me the car, maybe he knows if it smelled last winter and ill get his opinion. if the problem is pretty deep then ill just buy a space heater and use an ext. battery source, or just wear a thicker jacket. thanks again.

Have had the dis-pleasure of mouse nests in the heater systems on all 3 BRATs. The '84 had a real "fresh" nest in the blower and flex tube. HuuuWeeee!!! Did it smell rank in there when running the heater.

I pulled the blower unit out, and washed everything I could get into with some Murphy's Oil Soap. Squirted a bottle or two of Fabreeze all over the interior after washing all of the plastic trim with the oil soap. All of this helped, but it stil took some time for all of the smell to go away.

Once I get the intake manifold back on, me thinks I'll run the heater for a bit, to see if the smell is there for this years use. Hope not.

Good luck!