Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ahhhh time to learn to weld!

Well it turns out the buyer I had lined up for the brat needs a car, like now! and the brat just isnt ready now... still needs more metal work... so...

Looks like I get to go buy myself a welder and learn to weld. I was probably going to look for a hobart or lincoln wire feed welder that plugs into normal outlets. One that has adjustable wire feed speed as well ad adjustable power output. Is chicago electric any good???

What have others used on their brats to fix the rust damage??

When I pick it up anyone in the portland area willing to show me the ropes of welding?? Do's and do not do's?

Hell anyone got a unit they wanna sell used??

* Welding will be done as rust repair on an 82 brat in case you are wondering the nature of it.

I wouldnt go with the hobart. Ive got a Lincoln Mig Pak 10 and it works great, adjustable wire speed and current. Fitting in the back for gas, but I haven't got a reg and tank for it yet. It was 499 cdn at Canadian Tire. For 600 cdn I could have gotten the 220v mig pack 15, but I've got the arc welder for big stuff so I just stuck with the 110 model. Anyways, it's worked great for welding up the rear fenders of my wagon. You just have to be careful because subaru sheetmetal is thin and burns easy. Using gas makes welding sheetmetal alot better, it burns the metal less.

I was looking for a welder to build the buggy with, I talked with the folks at Harbor Freight about their Chicago Electric welders and the guy there told me they got about 25% back. That end that idea real quick!

I ended up getting the Lincoln at Home Depot for $325--great welder. You can add the gas attachment for $100. I have never done it yet. Flux core wire works fine for me so far.

Good luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

DON'T get the chicago electric. Trust me. I have one that actually works OK on thick material, but to weld sheet metal you need much more adjustment capability and a more stable arc than the Harbor freight model can provide. I suggest a Lincoln SP-135 Plus or a SP-175 Plus. (because I have not used either a Miller or Hobart in comparable size, I can't comment on those, other than to say Hobart is owned by Miller and is the less expensive brand with less bells and whistles) These have infinitely variable voltage and wire feed, come all set up for gas. I suggest NOT using flux core on sheet metal. Good luck, welding will open up a whole new world of fabrication for you. You might be the next Jesse James! :drunk:

the sp135 is not infinite, it's a 6 position wire tap. It's all the adjustability that you'll need though. unlike the POS ones with a "high/low" switch :rolleyes:
HOW DARE YOU,SIR! Questioning me? ;) The SP-135T and SP175T have six position taps, The SP-135/175 Plus both have infinite voltage control. I have the 175T, and have never really missed having infinite control. Someday I will get a TIG and that will give the really fine adjustments needed for the very thin metals. And TIG is much better for aluminum, stainless and chrome-moly.

Last I check, northern tool Company has Lincolns and Miller welders. They can break up the payment into several installments on a credit card. That way you can get a better welder w/o having to sink all of the cash right away.

I forgot their website, but you can google it to find it.

BW

I use a miller 135 at work and a miller 175 at home. both are great welders the 175 is more expensive but does a better job at a wider range of thicknesses.

dont buy a cheapo welder if you can help it it will only frustrate you. go with a lincon or miller. and yes you NEED fine adjustment. espically on sheet metal. that is in my opinion some of the hardest stuff to lay a nice bead on.

you may want to consider gas or tig setups too.

HOW DARE YOU,SIR! Questioning me? ;) The SP-135T and SP175T have six position taps, The SP-135/175 Plus both have infinite voltage control. I have the 175T, and have never really missed having infinite control. Someday I will get a TIG and that will give the really fine adjustments needed for the very thin metals. And TIG is much better for aluminum, stainless and chrome-moly.

okay okay you win, my bad :)