Ultimate Subaru Message Board

experiment for keeping out mice

i have 4 soob wagons, 2 for summer- 2 for winter. i live out in the woods and if i park one of them for more than a week, it usually gets a mouse in the heater. and from the heater, inside the car. i have cleaned out the ducts and removed the blower motors numerous times to get them out. and the smell! ugghh. i am sick of stinkin mice.

so, i am hoping they are getting in through the vent ducts that are under the hood. where the heater system sucks in the air from outside. i cant see anywhere else they could be getting in, since they usually end up in the heater. the factory holes in the vent are big enough for a mouse to get in.

my solution is to get some metal screen, cut it to fit nicely over the vent holes, and glue them on with some clear glue type of gunk. i did two cars tonight. i am gonna do the other two tommorrow.

if i dont get any mice in any of the cars in a few weeks, i will consider it a success cause the dirty stinkin buggers are lookin for a home this time of year. its gettin cold out.

I have been battleing mice in my Trooper.

They have been eating the fluff thats under the carpet :banghead:

I now have two mouse traps in the thing. That's going to smell good! (In two weeks when I get back to check it). :-p

I found out they were climbing up the trailer hitch wires and crawling along the frame and entering through the shift boot area.

I hate mice.

I have plans for a great resetting mouse trap if anyone's interested

Glenn

88 Trooper mouseless

90 Trooper mousehouse

where is the vent under the hood? I would like to screen it in on mine as well, I had my brat parked in my basement for a week due to alt. problems, and a mouse made a home in the fan, I had to tear it all apart, I don't want this happening again over the winter.

i dont know about a brat for sure but on a wagon they are right at the bottom of the windsheild- in front of it on the cowling. you can see them with the hood open. you can feel air sucking through them slightly if you have your heat or defrost on high.

i was checking the oil on a beater lincoln town car for a friend today- they have screen over the heater intake right from the factory. so there must be something to this.

if i had a digi cam i would take a pic. sorry no got. but you will be able to figure it out.

There is also meshed over inlets under the quarter panels, but the mesh may not be fully alligned to the hole. I wondered if this was the entrance to the cooling ducts, but there is so many holes in my cars body its not worth the trouble. They may also enter through the recurculate air passage, because the outside air is closed off when the engine is off, its door is vacccum opened. might want to mesh over that while the dash is apart.

"i dont know about a brat for sure but on a wagon they are right at the bottom of the windsheild- in front of it on the cowling. you can see them with the hood open. you can feel air sucking through them slightly if you have your heat or defrost on high."

man, I never thought of that, it was obvious.

It's funny all the sudden there is mouse posts everywhere. It kinda makes sence now you think about it. It's the time of year the cridders are looking to find shelter. :confused:

Can't really blame them for trying :rolleyes:

Get a bucket half full of water attach a ruler on a piece of coat hanger wire to form a diving board/teter totter. Make it so the ruler can pivot freely but rests/resets to a horizontal position. Place smear of peanut butter on the end of the ruler in the center of the bucket.

You now have a resetting mouse trap with the optional drowning attachment.

Don't forget to add stairs to the end of the ruler for easy access and your on your way!

Note: In winter use Antifreeze or they just jump back out off the ice.

I have used one of these for 15 years and only baited it when I first made it! Mice line up to go swimming! Everytime I check it I have a bucket of Mice :eek: Smells great in the summer time....

Disclaimer: If they wouldn't eat the rubber hoses on the Quads or snomobiles or carpet in the Trooper, I wouldn't do this in my garage. But they do! :mad: