Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Seats for a Gen 1 Brat?

Does anyone know of any aftermarket seats that will fit a 1978 Brat? Mine are toast and need to be replaced. I have some experience in upholstering, but after really looking, they may be a bit out of my league. Any help is appreciated, especially if you have changed yours out with modifications.

Thanks!

Mary

I can make anything fit, just gimme a welder and a cutting torch:D No Aftermarket seats won't bolt right in but if you had brackets made, they would. What kind of seat are you look at putting it? I might be able to help out and make the brackets for ya and ship them to you for very reasonable. My Brat has nothing left in it so it wouldn't be a problem for me to make them without having to pull the seats:D

I can make anything fit, just gimme a welder and a cutting torch:D No Aftermarket seats won't bolt right in but if you had brackets made, they would. What kind of seat are you look at putting it? I might be able to help out and make the brackets for ya and ship them to you for very reasonable. My Brat has nothing left in it so it wouldn't be a problem for me to make them without having to pull the seats:D

That'll work... when I get the Brat back, it's at the VoTech having the tranny installed. I'll measure the seats and see what's available in late-model junks at the bone yard and let you know. The upholstery man will want an arm and leg to redo the seats, the innards are a bit worn... (Adam Sandler's "Ode to My Car" describes them pretty well). I'm getting prices of $400 and UP to redo the dash, a new reproduction is $600. Yikes!

Ohh! Who redoes dashes and what exaclty do they do to them? I'm figuring there has to be something out there we can do ourselves to repair dashes.

I'm gonna try mounting a pair of SVX seats in my 78, We'll see how that goes.:)

There are a few places... one is in Australia. The problem with trying the repairs yourself is the foam expands and contracts and it opens up again, it actually needs to vacuum formed again. I had limited success with repairing mine... cut out the cracks and fill with wood filler, sand them down and use Truck Bed Liner for a pebbly finish... it looked perfect til it got in the direct heat of the sun... it bubbles up... it may have happened because I put a few coats on one area. The places I hit once were fine, no sun damage. Using a sunshade stopped any further bubbling. It looks better than it did before, even with the bubbles. They sell set ups for people who want to get into the business.. There's a special filler available for DIY. I'm trying to find a useable core to try it out. Anyone have one? I'll let you know how it works out. Let me know how the seats work out too! Thanks!

Mary

Hag and Freak-you guys gonna make it down to my place this coming weekend?Freak-Sunday,I'll make time for you since you can't make Saturday.

I will be attempting to go to Maine to take care of that '81 Brat I told you guys about.JunkyardGabe is not responding to my emails,calls,etc. so I'm not sure of what I can do with the Brat.It'll need to be taken off the property where it is now.I was hoping to have Gabe bring it to his yard and meet up there.That way he can have the carcass to crush.

Once I get my blue dash,provided it's in the shape I need it to be in,I'll gladly let that black dash go.Hag spoke up about it first,sorry Freak.Then,I also have some other stuff for you guys.There's some blue seats,some trim,etc.....stop down if you can.

It's not looking good for me right now. I'll feel like an ***** if I blow off my daughter and my wife has been on me all summer about house and yard work and I already told her we do that this Sunday:(

Anyway like you said the doors won't be closed yet, and there's still the matter of the Loyal.;)