Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Hesitation Problems

I have the same problem with my 1991 Subaru Lgacy 2 wheel drive....hesitation..hesitation and more hesitation.has 134 k miles on it................replaced air filter .... spark plugs .... wires .... fuel filter still hesitates.........

my friends who has a garage checked the fuel plessure looks good ,,put a meter on the line after the fuel filter and looks good........

here is what happens..:

first time on the expressway around 50 MPH or so.....cruising ......... the car starts to have no power when I accelerate .I press on the gas pedale and it shifts down to 3 gear and starts to hunt on the tach from around 2500 to 3000 RPM's ...........???

then the othwer day just on local street driving no power untill I get on it .........

some one suggested checking the TPS unit.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTION HELP >>!!!!!!!!!!please e-mail me at

HMich.ny@netzero.net for some info I could use

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father's Chrysler Sebring was having horrible hesitation problems. It would downshift and rev high and bog down on inclines. I sprayed some Valvoline Synpower Carb and Throttle Body Cleaner into his throttle body and cleaned it out really well. He called me the next day thanking me profusely for fixing his car. :cool: There is one particular hill he goes up on the way back from work where it always hesitated and downshifted. It didn't do it after the spray.

My girlfriend was getting a CEL on her Volkswagen Cabrio, along with a hesitation. Autozone OBDII scan said Idle Air Conrol Sensor. I cleaned her throttle body with the Synpower stuff...CEL went away that evening and hasn't come back yet. Hesitation is gone.

I'm a big believer in the TB cleaner. :banana:

• 1 year later...

I'm having the exact same problem with the 1988 GL. Only with light pressure on the gas pedal; if I give it a lot of gas it zooms, after a moment or two hesitating. But if I'm trying to creep along in first, it bucks.

Feels like an old mechanical linkage would with rust or crud. Lord, I miss the old days before electronics got into cars sooooo bad.

And I got a code 31 yesterday AM -- yep, Throttle Sensor.

Jim check out this thread pub1.ezboard.com/fultimat...D=36.topic

Should help ya out.

Still available but without images, here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030718140757/pub110.ezboard.com/fultimatesubarumessageboardsfrm6.showMessage?topicID=36.topic

Sounds like a classic case of plugged fuel filter (or air filter for that matter). I assume these have been changed though...

I'm having the exact same problem with the 1988 GL. Only with light pressure on the gas pedal; if I give it a lot of gas it zooms, after a moment or two hesitating. But if I'm trying to creep along in first, it bucks.

Feels like an old mechanical linkage would with rust or crud. Lord, I miss the old days before electronics got into cars sooooo bad.

Still available but without images, here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030718140757/pub110.ezboard.com/fultimatesubarumessageboardsfrm6.showMessage?topicID=36.topic

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the Subaru world and came here looking for solutions to the issues I've got with the brat I just purchased. I had a toyota 4runner for many many years that did something very similar to what you are all describing. I found there were several circuits in tha alternator that produced output based on RPM. The midrange circuit went bad so the 4runner ran fine at low RPM's, hesitated at about 2400 and cleaned up past about 3500. Sometimes only when it got wet. Do the subaru alternators work the same way?

• 2 weeks later...

------

Later in our story ....

ARRRRRRGH! The rebuilt engine came back from CCRinc, and the garage in Berkeley didn't replace the TPS, like I told them to do, before putting the engine in.

And I have the same problem, except worse. I called them and they told me they "cleaned it" instead of replacing it.

And I'll just bet they "cleaned" it with WD-40 and blew it out with compressed air, two things they could do wrong according to the instructions here. And I told them about this thread, heck, I probably left them a printout as I usually do.

What part of "Replace The TPS Before Reinstalling The Engine" isn't clear?

I imagine something like "Hey, I don't see no toilet paper spool, owner's crazy ..."

Dang. If anyone comes across an old 1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 wagon in good shape, I'm ready -- I'd like to back out of the computer age entirely, it's defeating me.