Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Locker/LSD - Phantom Grip

After reading Phantom Grips website: http://www.phantomgrip.com It appears that its only offered for the Hitachi R160 diffs (rear diff) for $300 but I heard that Mudrat79 can install these in the front diffs. Is this the same part number but just retro fitted to fit the front carrier? Does anyone have a good picture of both carriers side by side? Are they basically the same or WAY different

Also is this the only aftermarket locker/LSD that is available for a Soobie? (not including factory LSD)

I haven't talked to Mudrat but a couple years ago I talked to Phantom Grip about front diffs and they said "send us your stock open diff and we'll convert it to a Phantom Grip and send it back to you."

As for Subaru front LSD's, as far as I know, none have ever been available for our old EA style dual range trannys. New style trannys (like WRXs etc) sure they have LSDs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am ok, and Still around......:)

Verizon and I are having Issues right now, So I apologize For not getting your calls......

Here is What I found Out from Phantom.....

They have a Front LSD to fit all 5 speed AWD Subaru Trannies.....

Well, I have investigated the Old school Hi-Lo Tranny, and Detirmined that the diff carrier is the same, so The Phantom Grip will go into a 5 Speed Hi-Lo with no issues....... :grin:

I haven't had the time to tear down a 4 Speed Hi-Lo yet, but will put money on the fact that it is Most likely the same as well......:)

And I can Re-Build a 5 speed Hi-Lo with Phantom LSD for $650.00

E-mail me if you want One....:)

Later, John

I am ok, and Still around......:)

Verizon and I are having Issues right now, So I apologize For not getting your calls......

Here is What I found Out from Phantom.....

They have a Front LSD to fit all 5 speed AWD Subaru Trannies.....

Well, I have investigated the Old school Hi-Lo Tranny, and Detirmined that the diff carrier is the same, so The Phantom Grip will go into a 5 Speed Hi-Lo with no issues....... :grin:

I haven't had the time to tear down a 4 Speed Hi-Lo yet, but will put money on the fact that it is Most likely the same as well......:)

And I can Re-Build a 5 speed Hi-Lo with Phantom LSD for $650.00

E-mail me if you want One....:)

Later, John

Hey John,

How about sending me the title for the brat I paid for over 4 months ago?

As a person that started out in Datsuns (and still have my first love), I also look at stuff for my 510. One of the things I found a couple of years ago was a site that has a page on putting Subaru LSDs under Datsuns.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

(It uses frames, so you have to navigate to the Technical Dept., Drivetrain section.)

On this page they also discuss other options, and one of the options is the Phantom Grip. This site, however, did not have anything complimentary to say about the Phantom Grip. In fact, they warned against it as being ultimately destructive to the differential.

Now, I do not know diddly about the Phantom Grip yet, but it might be nice to hear what somebody who does know says about the description and criticizms.

This page might also give some ideas for other sources of LSD. And, no, my 510 does not have a soob LSD under it, but not for any moral reason, just hadn't known before this article, and haven't looked since. It does have an r180...