Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine of choice??

I've been reading and researching all the diffrent engines that came in subs and while knowing my EA81 is very reliable what is the engine of choice for more offroad power? I've read that the EJ22 is very durable so I just wanted everyones input on the subject.. thanks!!

Out of the EA-series engines, the EA81 is generally considered the most reliable, and there are a few hop-up parts available for it. Its prevalence off road is also partly because the EA81 body style makes for a better offroader.

Out of the EJ-series engines, the EJ22 is considered the most reliable, and the 91 legacy which had that motor was voted the easiest car to work on by some mechanics association. Unlike the EA81, these also make pretty decent power out of the box. The only real downfalls are that it does have a timing belt and the computer stuff needs to be well protected if it's going to be used off road.

As far as which to use, a lot depends on your application. If you've got an 80's subaru, the EA81 will be a lot easier to hook up (or keep if that's what you've got). The EJ swap has been done many times, and Mudrat79 recently started production of a kit to use the EA dual range tranny with an EJ motor. If you want to do this swap, the best way is to find a complete wrecked legacy or front clip and swap everything over. It is a substantial amount of work, but if that's what you want, it's worth it.

There is no one size fits all answer, different vehicle types, uses and the very important aspect of owner preference and budget. For a slow yet lightweight crawler I would say EJ25, for a bigger rig, an H6 is a great choice for high resolution low RPM use. For a high speed buggy style with power that hits like a hammer, I would go 2 or 2.5Ltr turbo.

Out of the EA-series engines, the EA81 is generally considered the most reliable, and there are a few hop-up parts available for it. Its prevalence off road is also partly because the EA81 body style makes for a better offroader.

Out of the EJ-series engines, the EJ22 is considered the most reliable, and the 91 legacy which had that motor was voted the easiest car to work on by some mechanics association. Unlike the EA81, these also make pretty decent power out of the box. The only real downfalls are that it does have a timing belt and the computer stuff needs to be well protected if it's going to be used off road.

As far as which to use, a lot depends on your application. If you've got an 80's subaru, the EA81 will be a lot easier to hook up (or keep if that's what you've got). The EJ swap has been done many times, and Mudrat79 recently started production of a kit to use the EA dual range tranny with an EJ motor. If you want to do this swap, the best way is to find a complete wrecked legacy or front clip and swap everything over. It is a substantial amount of work, but if that's what you want, it's worth it.

What hop-up parts are you refering to? That would be of great interest to me, alot less work than an engine swap.

im crazy for the er27 since i got to start driving one on a daily basis.big and loud! =] but the 2.2 pulls very good too, and is extra cheap in junkyards.

all you realy need is the motor, with the intake, and harness, and the wiring, that goes from the motor to the computer, a front clip would be overkill imo.