Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift is done... now I can't shift!

singletrack

Ok, so i got the lift in - It was a bear. But it's done, it's solid, the car is siting on its wheels.

I just took it for a test drive, and everthing was more or less ok.

But I can't hit third gear! It doesn't want to stay in 1st either. Second, forth are fine, as is reverese. I didn't try 5th but im guessing it won't work either.

I also didn't try 4x4.

Anywho, I guess its the shift linkage, but I dunno what the hell I'm doing at this point.

A lil' help, PLEASE!

Oh yeah: 88 SPFI EA82 3" lift

This seems to be the dirty little secret of subie lift kits. I built my own kit for my EA-81 and had similar problems once I got it all together.

I know you have an EA-82 but on the EA-81 you can heat and bend the shifter so you can hit all your gears.

Also on the EA-81, the 4wd lever linkage ends up pointing at an angle in normal 2wd and will pop the shifter out of reverse when you engage 4wd. I found that fabbing a modified linkage for that was absolutely necessary. That was with a 4" lift in a hatch.

Anyway, just know that it's normal and fixable, just take apart your console and boots and everything and have at it.

Good Luck!

Wish I could be more specific but I just know the EA-81s...

Usually, the only shift difficulties come with the 4/3 kit. I haven't had feedback about the EA82s and that problem, but none the less, often with the kits the shift boot hampers movement and sometimes the boot hole requires some hammering just a wee bit to allow the shift rod full movement. Other have like Hatchmonster, heated and bent the shift rod a bit to do the same.

I can call you and discuss. r/ PK

Usually, the only shift difficulties come with the 4/3 kit. I haven't had feedback about the EA82s and that problem, but none the less, often with the kits the shift boot hampers movement and sometimes the boot hole requires some hammering just a wee bit to allow the shift rod full movement. Other have like Hatchmonster, heated and bent the shift rod a bit to do the same.

I can call you and discuss. r/ PK

The weird thing. . . I just put a 4/3 in my hatch. 0 problems shifting into any gear. Had to extend my front brake lines, but no shifting problems.

often with the kits the shift boot hampers movement and sometimes the boot hole requires some hammering just a wee bit to allow the shift rod full movement.
It's working fine now with the boot and plastic off. I guess I'll be trimming more than just fenders.

Everything is working, included 4x. I didn't try 5th, but I get the feeling that I won't ever use that gear again [with big tires] :)

It's working fine now with the boot and plastic off. I guess I'll be trimming more than just fenders.

Everything is working, included 4x. I didn't try 5th, but I get the feeling that I won't ever use that gear again [with big tires] :)

My friend has a lifted hatch with a variation of a 3/3 or 4/3 lift, and still uses 5th. Custom console and shfter boot mods as well.