Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pedal assemblies are the Devil!!!

I'm working on pulling out the whole pedal assembly from my 1986 (?) turbo parts wagon, its a clutch, 5spd trans, that i'm swaping parts from into my 89 turbo auto. So, i get around to pulling the pedals and all, need to get that clutch peddal, and smaller brake pedal into my car, so i get the clutch off, after quite a while of strugling with it. And i figure i'm going to need the entire rod that all the pedals attatch to considering it needs that inch of extension for the clutch pedal to bolt onto. Btw, the cluth has the funny spring deal on it to assisist clutch movement or something, diffrent that other loyales that i've changed clutch cables on before. Now, i can't figure out how to get the whole thing out, do i need to pull the entire braketing asembly that practucly bolts to everything under the dash? Or is there a trick to pulling the whole assembly? I don't know if there's going to be room to slide the bar out of either side of the mounting brackets, its a long rod, and a small space. Any one done this before?

Or....any one know how else i would rig up a pedal operated piece to move the clutch line, as a peddal, but a diffrent setup...custom style?

You are talking about installing the clutch pedal on an A/T to 5 speed conversion, right?

I watched Miles Fox do this recently. He pulled the steering column, and took the pedal box out as a single unit. Then, reinstalled the proper pedal box for the conversion. Only the lower dash cover had to be removed using this method.

About 1 hour from start to finish....

good luck, John

like the alleyboy says-

the whole pedal box comes out as one unit, do not take it apart. there are 4 bolts holding it to the firewall- then 1 or 2 bolts kinda way on top in front with a funny bracket , kinda connected to a wiring harness.

disconnect the rod that goes from the brake pedal to the master cylinder through the firewall.

you can leave the clutch cable connected to the box if you want, feed it through the firewall as you pull out the pedal box.

it is a real pain to get out, but it is possible to get it out without removing the steering coluum, just loosen it. it takes a lot of twisting and turning.

however, it should be real easy to get it out if you want to take out the coluum.

the only thing you may have to remove from the pedal box is the gas pedal, if i remember correctly.

others will pipe in if you need more info.

Yup:)

You are talking about installing the clutch pedal on an A/T to 5 speed conversion, right?

I watched Miles Fox do this recently. He pulled the steering column, and took the pedal box out as a single unit. Then, reinstalled the proper pedal box for the conversion. Only the lower dash cover had to be removed using this method.

good luck, John

good luck, John

^^ What he said, with one added observation. That stupid spring on the clutch pedal will cause you nothing but heartache down the road.. take it off ;)

good luck, John

Yup. He's right!^

okay, so heres one...having come back with a clear head, i re-tackled the peddal box, figured i'd take out everything in my way so i could see what i was looking at, considering this is a parts car, will never run again any ways, and i needed to have a clear understanding of whats goin on so that i can put it into my car without tearing everything apart. So, after removing the ecu, all the plastic covers, the front seat (jus for fun :) ) and dropping the stearing colum; i got the box loose, got the brake peddal all disconected, and tried to shimmy it out over the steering colum, but its either going to take a whole lotta effort, or its not comin out.

so how do you pull a steering colum? new one for me. thanks for the help.

At that piont very easy. Go under the hood, find the steering link, 12mm bolt (pull it all the way out), then spread it a little, column will take some pulling as there is a gromet in the fire wall. If it is a parts car and you've got it that far PK davis would probably take the steering link off your hands, Just a thought. Later, Tim