Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 justy questions...

I just bought a 92 justy 2bl in Feb. lately i have been having problems with the chek eng lite coming on. i noticed that the coolant was low and added. the lite went off for one day and then has gone back on. how can i chek the codes for this car. where is a good place to order parts from as well. i work for a major auto parts store and every thing i need for this car has to be special ordered so i dont get a discount on any of it. also what motor mounts are adaptable to my engine cause i noticed that i need to replace one of them. thanks.

well ever other car made from 85-92 have the computers located under the steering column. I'm not sure abouta justy because the whole setup is different. But start by checking under that plastic cover where your knees would hit in the drivers side. pull the plastic trim off and a computer should be up underneath there. Should havea little red light in the middle of the computer. if the check engine light is on, the code will come off that light.

long flashes acount for 10, 20, 30 etc.. the short flashes are single numbers.

It will flash lets say: Long Long short short short = Code 23

ummm.. a haynes manual has them in it.. I'd just post the codes on this thread. someone online right now has a FSM or a manual sitting at a arms reach.
I've been looking for a couple of years for ANY manual for my '88 Justy. The only thing I've found is a Chilton's :banghead: that mixes in info on the Justy amongst everything else made during that time frame.

It (Chilton's... blech!) does have a list of codes for the '91 Justy. Find your codes and we will try to figure it out.

Ok. Drivers side kick panel below hood release, look for 2 connector plug-ins. With switch off, plug them together. Turn switch to ON, only, & start counting the flashes on the serv. engine lite on dash. flash,,flash= 2.

flash,, flash----pause--- flash,, flash,, flash =23, etc.Post back with what you come up with.

Well I finally got a chance to really check the computer for the codes. The chk eng lite goes on and off. But I was finally able to check it while the chk eng lite was on and the code was 21. If the codes I have are right then it has to be the coolant temp sensor or circuit. Now can anyone tell me where i can find this sensor. I think I may hae found it but am not sure. Is it mounted(facing the engine) on the left side of the radiator and has a single wire attached to it? anyone have a diagram or picture that they can show? thanks for all the help so far.

Well I finally got a chance to really check the computer for the codes. The chk eng lite goes on and off. But I was finally able to check it while the chk eng lite was on and the code was 21. If the codes I have are right then it has to be the coolant temp sensor or circuit. Now can anyone tell me where i can find this sensor. I think I may hae found it but am not sure. Is it mounted(facing the engine) on the left side of the radiator and has a single wire attached to it? anyone have a diagram or picture that they can show? thanks for all the help so far.

NO,

. The sensor on carb engines is located just beneath the radiator hose on right of engine. Just below thermostat housing. Look for the one with TWO wires. Sometimes they get gunky with oil. Clean inside connector,etc.,,, disconnect battery for a few minutes,,, then reconnect. If engine light comes back on, then change it & disconnect batter again while doing it.[ clears codes] Many discount auto parts stores have those or can order.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I work for an auto parts store and the parts for my car all have to be ordered and because of that I don't get a discount cause there not in stock. So that sucks. Any way I think I know what connector you are talking about and if it that one then your right about the oil and gunk on it. I have to clean and see what happens.

by the way anyone know where i can find an trunk cover for the justy and what motor mounts i can use for it as well The mounts I can't ind them and it seems that the catalogs I use at work don't have a listing for the 92 justy. Any other vehicle that I might be able to use to replace them. Thanks again.

Dealer only on the motor mounts. I work for a napa and we cant get them, believe me I have done the research. I also run into the same problems with having to special order even a darn air filter for the thing. I was planning on grabbing a junkyard set and re-molding them with some kind of urethane compound... If I get frustrated enough I'll just weld the stinker to the body :brow:

Yeah, I work for auto zone and the best i can do is try and eyeball a look a like from our paper catalogs. Luckily I can get the simple stuff but anyhting else i have to make plans at least a month in advance to be able to get the things and do the job. thanks fo the info tell me how that mold goes maybe i'll go that route be fore the dealer.

Yes, motor mounts are dealer or junkyard items. ASK dealer for a discount, & many will comply. I have OEM part numbers for you if needed. The top mount," dogbone" is the most often needed. It is;

Rod rump roast't/ptg stopper OEM # 7410-40280, all years are the same.

Some Justy parts are outrageous, but then the next part you need is cheap.Muffler is over $300, but you can easily adapt a $20 stock one from Autozone, etc.