Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T mods, lets get the list going for the USRM...

Ok since this RX that I am getting has an EA82T in it (duh) I'm planning on making this thing a major sleeper. I went through searching for someone who has laid down the mods they've done to their EA82T and there wasn't much on them but there have been a lot of people who have done mods to that motor such as SubaruTex, garner, WJM, Dr. RX, Subaru_Styles and many others. Well I want to get some info together of the mods that each one of them has done to their cars and see what is similar and what is different. Also besides a list of mods, give what parts were used to do that mod, price of them, and how long it took to install it, what kind of bugs they ran into, and then the overall outcome ie. "How well did it perform". So lets here the ideas guys so we can make our USRM a little bigger since there has been a lot of complaining about how the new guys don't always use the search function;)

Maybe the cost of the mod could also be included. Like the cat gutting was free and the airbox mods was also free. The sky's the limit on other stuff.

I noticed a power difference gutting the cats. The first cat was the hardest to do. I ended up removing the downpipe form the car. Pulling off all of the heat shielding, cutting the cat in half with a chop saw, removing everything, and then migging it back together using the seams as a guide.

87 gl-10 turbo

megasquirt and edis programmable fuel injection and distributorless ignition

apc boost controller at 10 psi may change over to megasquirt controlled boost not sure yet

cone filter no maf . yay

eventually intercooled

founf somene elses downpipe in a junkyard with bigger than stock pipes and hi flow universal cat on it

will get changed out for 2.5 inch all the to the back exhaust

btw.. i felt left out to... :(

Odd, i'm writing a book about this...:brow: sr. prject at school....all my listed stuff is on the school network, but i'll see what i can't do to remember as much of it as possible...

Cold air intake, short ram style, cone filter, 3" HD pipeing

Open exuast

Hollowed Catalytic converter on the Downpipe

Manual Boost control

Wrx intercooler

Wrx blow off valve

Clutch fan removal

A/C removal

Spider intake

Fuel system mods (ask tex :) )

Turbo timers; other electronics

XT6 suspension swap, including brakes, (5- lug swap)

Accel coil

Grounding Systems

XT6 alternator (or was it a GM alt?)

Delta Cams

XT6 fly wheel and clutch

Tdo4 turbo's (oooohhh)

Rx body kits

Rx mirrors

Impreza Hood scoop

FWD switch (4EAT's only)

alright, thats all i can think of for now, if iget my hands on my list from school any time soon i'll post it up for you.

Later,

Dan

well the list is going to be nice but unfortunatly, no one has really described what they did, just listed off a few things and not any sort or price range either. I'm going to make seperate categories from the "free" upgrades to the most expensive types of upgrades. Examples are cutting the airbx and gutting the cat which are free upgrades to installing an intercool which will run in the neighborhood of 100 bucks for a WRX top style....does this help a little?

Oh and for you guys such as Skip, oddcomp and many other people who have done lots and lots and lots of mods to their car, you can make your own write-up and I will incorperate it into the post in the USRM. Just PM it to me guys if its a nice long list of mods which are complicated:)

ok so now I'm starting to complie a list of things and this is what I have so far...

Motor mods:

WRX top mount intercooler ~$100

TWE 2.5" exhaust (up pipe and down pipe, catless?) ~ $600

TD04 turbo from WRX (direct bolt onto TWE exhaust) ~ $100

Delta cams ~ $120

carbed shortblock

87.5 - newer XT spider intake

XT6 throttle body (WJM, wanna enlighten us on that swap?)

gen 3 heads, port-n-polish (Miles wanna discuss where to p&p them maybe with some pics?)

lightened XT6 flywheel

lightened crank pulley (garner, wanna go into detail about this mod?)

port matching - I will cover this more when I do the write-up

manual boost controller - Caleb?

turbo timer - also Caleb?

Blow off valve - I know there's a few of you here with them;)

Cold air intake - SubaruTex?

Megasquirt & EDIS - oddcomp?

5-lug conversion - myself and some of the others who have done it:D

brake and suspension upgrades to both stock EA82 and XT6 - WJM and Subaru_Styles

oil cooler - not a clue who has done it but maybe someone has:)

gutting cats - I've done the midpipe but who has done the downpipe?

mechanical fan removal - I can discuss this since I've done it like a million times

XT6 alternator swap - Skip?

GM alternator swap - oddcomp?

A/C removal - anyone besides me?

Fuel system mods - SubaruTex?

Accel Coil replacement - anyone?

Grounding kits - anyone?

Installing an RX bodykit on a sedan, wagon or 3-door - myself

RX mirrors? <-- is lost?

hoodscoops - anyone who has done them, gimme your advice:)

cutting the bottom of the airbox - I know a lot of people have done this s please share on how you went along and did it

ok I know there's more that can be added so please, add anything you'd like to it and if you've done one of the mods listed even though I didn't put your name next to it, I was tryin to remember some of the people that I have heard of doing these mods but please add away! I'm not trying to keep anyone's advice for these mods away, it'll actualy give people different ways to try some of these things!!!:D

I've done the down pipe. Heres what I did.

-Pulled the down pipe section out of the car.

-Removed all of the heat shielding from the cat by grinding the spot welds off.

-Chopped the cat in half with a chop saw.

-Removed all the guts.

-Welded back together using the seams as a guide. This turned out to be real easy. I just used vicegrips on both seams to hold it all together and then stich welded it up.

-put back in the car with no heat shielding.

I was going to pull the cat entirely and just put a pipe in its place. After looking at it, I decided that I didnt want to mess with alighning the whole thing back together correctly and getting the bottom pipe to mate up correct since the bottom turn is kinda part of the cat. It seems easier to just gut what was there. Without the cat, it does not get that hot anymore so the shielding is not needed so it went in the garbage. I guess if you had exaust inspection where you live, you could put it back on. The car still has the stock rear muffler although I plan on putting a Turbo version on there next.

well I dont exactly agree with all the mods listed so far but I will throw a little change in here.

I see a lot of people listing TD04 as an option. well yes it is. but its no direcet bolt on for sure. this is for the fabrication capable peoples out there. I want to see what others found but it took me close to 15 hours getting things all figured out and I dont want to type about all the things that dont fit and how I overcame them because I dont feel my system is proven yet and its not full complete. just drivable.

for the stock turbo my VW 1.8T intercooler was verry efficent and not to dificult to install. verry simple plumbing. it does require a hole inthe hood and a hood scoop as it sits rather high but why would you want a TMIC without a hood scoop. during testing I found It droped about 100 deg f.

I have to again say avoid the accel coils. the newest ones are known to be defective. if you find an old one before the moved production. great. the stadard NAPA replacement coil is made where Accel used to build its coils. someone posted a great link explaining why the NEW accel coils are junk. please dont ad them as a upgrage. I have a dead one in the garage if any one wants it.

exhaust side. I personally have built systems to run without cats and without. If done properly a good down pipe mated to a 2.5 inch cat and 2.5 inch exhaust flows just as well or better than a hacked open/gutted stouck DP. yes I have run both. the DP I used to run was a Subspeed unit. it is expensive but it is a geat unit that bolts to all the stock trany locations, the lowerhanger and all the factory heatshielding that protects your trany and cv boots from the heat.

the up pipe was modified to eliminate the restrictive bend up to the turbo and opened the ports to match better with the heads.

I run a mostly complete air box with a K/N air filter. drop in type. opening to the fender is cut bigger in both air box and body with silencer removed.

I do run a turbo timer but I am more interested in a electronic boost controler to be installed some day.

i do run a oil cooler (adapter provided by WJM thank you) cooler is off a volvo turbo 240. the lines are custom made hydraulic hoses. you dont have to go that hard core but I do recomend using a good quality type of hose designed for oil coolers and routed well. a failure here can mean you just lost a motor.

well thats more than enough for one days spouting.

skip what size tire are you running?

for the stock turbo my VW 1.8T intercooler was verry efficent and not to dificult to install. verry simple plumbing. it does require a hole inthe hood and a hood scoop as it sits rather high but why would you want a TMIC without a hood scoop. during testing I found It droped about 100 deg f.

This is an interesting read. Do you know what year/model VW 1.8T you took the intercooler off of (or just what VW it came off of)? 100F is a very, VERY significant drop in intake temperature.

This is an interesting read. Do you know what year/model VW 1.8T you took the intercooler off of (or just what VW it came off of)? 100F is a very, VERY significant drop in intake temperature.

It came from a 2002 jetta 1.8t but I think all the vw mk4 1.8t cars use the same intercooler(Jetta, Golf, Bug? 1999-to current) yeah I have not completed the ducting to the WRX intercooler for better air flow but when I do I will have to make a comparison. my hunch is that if I measured temp drop and pressure drop the VW IC set up is more efficent. problem was it would not work well with the TD04s outlet to the side. thats why I had to go with the WRX unit. If I knew how poorly the WRX unit would have fit I would have gone FMIC. the biggest problem with a FMIC is that It has to sit out in front of every thing else on an EA82 car.

XT6 throttle body:

take the sypder and trace the XT6 TB over the stock TB location...and bore the stock TB opening out for the XT6 TB....then...drill holes to bolt the TB onto the spyder.

There is an adjustment screw on the throttle linkages to adjust idle...primitavely. The cable will need to be re routed and a new bracket made...very tricky to do if a TMIC is in the way...ive had hte IC lay on it and hold the throttle open so it idles at 3k.... :-\

The TPS is something I have not figured out yet...as 85-86 has 3 wire, and 87+ has 4....and ALL of the non ER27 engines with TPS has a different style TPS than the ER27...it wont interchange on the TB...so far the car seems fine running w/out the TPS hooked up....fuel mileage seems to suffer tho...

Front Suspension:

KYB GR2 2WD struts with camber/castor plates (any legacy/impreza/WRX/STi will work...just widen the bolt holes a teeny bit...WRX and Leone is clocked the same), springs are 250 lb rate, 10 inches tall, and 5.5 inch dia...very common spring size in circle track racing...its a ford size mostly. Solid control arm busing...not perfected yet so no details. GC8 (non RA) steering rack bushings are 95% direct it...sqaure one fits perfectly...the 2/3rds round one needs a teeny bit of trimming.

Rear Suspension:

Carerra Legends car dampers with the stock Leone top hats...bottom simply add busings to center the bolt up on the bottom. 350 lb spring...has height adjustable collar. damper is proper dampening up to 500 lb spring new. The Bilstien units also fit.

XT 2WD turbo 5spd 19MM front bar

XT6 4WD unknown trans 20MM rear bar

Brakes:

TWR braided stainless lines on the front (direct fit from stuff for impreza/legacy)

EBC green stuff pads for impreza/legacy (1990-early 1996) with 14 inch wheel-brake package

Standardly avalible DOT 4 fluid

'85 XT turbo, 3AT, drag application only

14.91s @ 93mph quarter mile

*Gutted rightside light housing = Ram Air

*K&N panel filter

*Boost Controller = drilled out plastic "Tee" in the boost line to the wastegate. Running 16 lbs boost

*Boost, Temp, Oil Pressure gauges

*Oil Cooler

*Saab 900 TM intercooler, Home Depot piping

*2.5" downpipe personally made, to a DynoMax Race Bullet muffler

*Weight Reduction = 2220lbs w/o me in it

*C5 Race fuel

My Brother's Car:

'92 Loyale Wagon with '85 EA82t 5speed Drag only

15.28s @ 90mph

-he just got it together and got two runs on it on sunday... big delays cause there were a few oil downs and one guy in a chevelle had the left rear wheel come off at the launch.

Same modifications as my car, should be faster, but it has a really badly slipping clutch.

*Blow Off Valve

-Matty

Russ the tires are 225/50 15's

The Pug rims have custom fitted Subaru center caps using welded studs and "AL wings"

On the mods might as well add the cockpit to the list

as I think if

one is going to "hot rod" one needs to keep

an eye on the engine

willydashbig.JPG