Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clunking 2wd not in 4wd

This morning my 4wd loyale started making a "clunking" sound from the rear end. Sounds like drivers side but could be coming from the middle. This afternoon I put it in 4wd just to see what would happen and the noise seemed to stop. Any ideas what could be causing the noise and would engaging the 4wd having anything to do with it stopping? It is a 90 loyale s/r 4wd. The clunking sound corresponds with the rotation of the wheels.

so if i take a chance and try to fix this problem myself any other things to do to pinpoint the problem. i have a hayes manual. i will check the lug nuts no problem. how do i check the u joints and drive shaft? would the brakes or wheel bearings be causing this noise? any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Jack up the rear, slide underneath, and wiggle the drive shaft at all the U-joints. Check for play.

To check wheel berrings, grab the wheel from the top and bottom and try to rock the wheel. If it does, check your axel nut, if that's ok, then it's prolly a wheel bearing. Dat make sense?

i'd check the driveshaft. they can also seize, meaning the ujoints are almost stuck in place and will feel tight by grabbing it. you can visually see damage or pull it out and the joint won't budge....actually it might even be hard to get out because the joint is so stiff.

does this thing have hub caps or a center cap? lug studs/nuts could shear off and rattle/clunk around inside as well.

I looked up Concord on mapquest (there are something like 7 Concords in NC). I am planning a trip to Charlotte, I was going to go today but my car was disagreeable, to pick up some Pug wheels. There is a place in Charlotte and all they do is sell old Puegots. I am usually off on Mondays so I am planning to go next week.

PUGS!

I remembered when iwas working at some scam of a company in charlotte I seen atleast 4~5 Pugs crusing around with the 4x140mm 15 inch alloys I wanted, in ONE day!....outside of the center of charlotte...I see....maybe ONE pug a year.