Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch replacement fun and much more....

well lets see lets start out with the environmental parameters....

sunny clear crisp 21 degrees at sunrise...45+ by 11 AM just ate breakfast and went out to put subie in garage to jack it up and swap out the clutch kit.

removed the front wheels, popped out the CV pins at the tranny stubs; disconnected the shifter arms at the tranny and pulled out the rear drive shaft middle support(vibration dampener) two bolts.

layed the shaft off to the side, loosed the tranny support bar 19MM bolts then disconnected the cables at the top of the tranny and the speedo cable(oops almost for got this one); disconnected the electricals -obviously- and then finally took out the starter and the 2 bottom nuts and the top two bolts that hold the tranny to the engine case.

then the slow process of dropping it out, under, and arround the exhaust pipe....

removed the offeneding PP, throwout bearing, and disk....yuppers it was toast... it was within a mm of the rivet surface... had some mild spots of polished flywheel and PP surface... went in for dinner at this point as it was chilly again and the sun had set by now....

Ya see i had this overwhelming urge to take my time... neaver mind the total removal time(according to the family is 2.5 hours for removal last night)

okay now today i was to get started at the ripe ole time of 10 (ish)AM... nope... today was the first day of rifle deer season.... and Larry(Step-Dad) got a nice one.... so i was asked to go help take it to the processor. this took time so about 1:30PM I finally got started on the install...

cleaned the flywheel and scuffed it up a weeee bit with #0000 grade steelwool and a green brillo pad.

.. i had to remove the flywheel to get the pilot bearing out and in the process broke 3 cheapy 14MM sockets on the flywheel bolts as i had misplaced the craftsman socket last night.

Okay so now that its back in and asked Mom to provide a little third arm and hand assistance while torquing the flywheel back in.... i was then able to spend the next 1.5 -2 hours dinking around with the hydralic and different agles to slide/lift/manhandle the tranny up into a position for the CV's to be slid back on the stubs....(I ended up sliding under the car and then sliding the tranny up onto my knees and chest) once there i used the knees to lift the tail section and my arms to scissor(sp) the front up and into place. Well its resting on the exhaust and the CV's installed and ... its time for hot tea(Ginger) and a break... its chilly out there.... and soloing a clutch swap in this weather -scratch that- solo period... is not fun by ANY stretch of the imagination.

see the weather where I'm currently at:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalStd.asp?loc=usmict1713&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=Forecasts&product=Forecast&prodnav=none&pid=none

oh yeah and the joy of knowing i have a preplanned load out of Muskegon,Mi tomorrow for Kansas City [picks up between 8 AM and 2 PM](YEAH a load away from the NY/NJ arena of freight)!!! ...and I was planning on recieving a wonderful massage trade this evening to boot! Alas it looks to be a no go on the massage and i'll just head to Grand Rapids once its reinstalled later tonight.

alright now back to the tea as it needs to be nuked again to be really warm this time of night.

Unless its absolutely necessary i don't recomend a solo adventure of this variety.

Side note:

*IF* anyone happens to run across or have a spare set of relay's and vacuum parts to the vacuum actuated Locking Rear Shaft on this FT4WD tranny out of a XT6 I'd like to talk to ya about financially(or other wise) trading with you for them... granted the rearend isn't a LSD rear yet..... but that's in due time as well.

OKAY Subject tangent!!!!! ....there is this individual who lives in PA that was wanting to aquire the 14" pug's that Calebz has? and you have/had some Aluminum 15" pugs? Well now you'll have to deal with me on the Pug rims for when next i get to Texas I'll be picking them up from him for a cost to me... and then i'd consider trading the 14" steels for your 15" alum's *IF* your still up for it...... the only catch is I'll have them with me on the truck(18 wheeler) so you'll have a 48 hour warning for everytime I'm able to roll through your neck of the woods in PA. So get in touch with me or Calebz for my cell # and we'll see how easy it will be to swap out the rims and when over the next few months it will occur. Fair enough??????

seems fair to me to be this up front about the situation so how about it dude? you still on the board and will you see this thread before the end of the year? (wry grin)

[Tip's the hat and gentlemanly bow to the Lady's in the house] then[waves to all the guy's] "Seasons greetings ya'll!"

okay folks looks like i completely lost my brain cells that had the memories for drop and install of the tranny. I can't seem to get that puppy in to save my life.

I first tryyed the "single jack with a block of wood to hold the rear of tranny up as i lifted and guided the splined input shaft into the clutch disk... had used the clutch alignment tool that came with the kit and the disk was correctly aligned .

the lower two studs were clean and the tranny did take a little effort to get up on to them.. but would go no further.

took back down and tried it "manually using my legs to support the tail section and the arms to lift and guide into the disk but this next hour of effort was exhausting and frustrating... oh yeah and it was kinda chilly too.

last attempt was with a second body to help(Mom) and we just couldn't get the top front "Tranny to engine block" bolts to pass all the way thru the engine block section for a nut to grab any threads and pull the tranny the rest of the way on... I almost once had the lower studs in far enough to put nuts on them.. and that was when the clip ring that holds the throw out bearing to the folk arm popped off. Yeah so it had to be pulled back apart to put the clip ring back on....

well i am going to bed now... night night.. will check in the AM to see any other advice... sage or otherwise.

yes i know how to laugh atmyself but i'd prefer to wait till after the car is back on all fours if you don't mind waiting till then to make any wise cracks please.....(grumbles at self for letting an inanimate object best him)

I did a solo tranny install this fall and had to bolt a 2x4 onto my floor jack, strap the tranny to it, line every thing up and from the front of the car I rocked the crank back and forth with a 22mm socket on a breakerbar while pulling the tranny forward on the jack. once the splins lined up the tranny slid into place like butta. Hope this helps

be patient - a break, like this sleep you're getting right now is probably all you really needed. getting the manual trans in is annoying at times. you sound calm so far, i'd be cussing the subaru engineers telling them that i'm flying over there and taking over their jobs cause they're idiots.

i don't think you need to do this, but it is a last resort if you have a lift and get pissed. you could eventually say screw it and lay the motor and transmission on the ground and do it that way. then use the lift to install the entire thing. it's super easy to install that way, no hassles at all.

good luck,

put a jack on the front of the motor, to point the rear of the motor down. that angle helps to get it in there.

Right, Subaru actually makes a special tool that goes in place of the pitch-stop mount, and it holds the engine at a certain angle for removal of the transmission.

You need to play with both the jack under the engine and the jack under the transmission until they are both holding the engine and transmission at the proper angle. Once you do that, the input shaft should slide right into the clutch disc. Once you can put the two nuts on the bottom studs on the engine, you should be able to just tighten the two together...

I pulled the tranny once to change the clutch. I wouldn't ever do that again. Much easier to pull the engine.

Replaced an auto-trans recently... (slightly) easier to line up, but much heavier.

Good advice from everyone about lifting tranny and tilting engine. :)

I've done a few solo tranny R&R's, and its usually the shaft end thats not lining up with the pilot bearing. Make sure the car is secure and once the engine is tilted push the tranny in till it stops. Then you need to get physical with it and shake it around to make it slip in (dont go there guys). This will help it thru the clutch splines also, you might try turning the axle stubs to get the shaft to turn.

You do have a way with the written word. Wonder what happens, where the mind wanders, on the lone prarrie, moon lit night, wind chilled windshield, nose fozen shut, kick the tires, listen to the diesel purr, take a last swig of coffee, purchase the butt cheeks into the seat,and roll down the highway? Oh sorry I digress.

I wondered why you pre-installed the cv's before the tranny was seated? Unless I misunderstood, seems like they would be one more restriction in the way.

I pulled the tranny once to change the clutch. I wouldn't ever do that again. Much easier to pull the engine.

I honestly don't see how. You can drop a tranny with a floor jack, you need a cherry-picker to pull the engine. You unplug about 4 wires dropping the tranny, you practically unplug the whole wiring harness pulling the engine. Then think of all the stuff you have to remove off the engine: power steering pump, A/C, etc. etc.

WOOOHOOOO! Craven you rock!

Thanks a bunch big guy. after a little frustration and some jostling.... its in place.

Now to put all the small nuts and bolts back together on the shifter arm, rear driveshaft, yada,yada,yada.....

Glad I could help.

P.S. Tell C.C. she makes a great cup of Joe.