Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dumb 4wd question

Super-dee-stupid question:

The loyale's 4wd is it an all wheel drive style that can be used on dry pavement (like the full time stuff), or is it the 4X4 truck style that can only be used under slippery and loose grades (like my buddy's ford exploder)? I've only pushed the big red button in the snow just in case.

jim

Push button and the lever style dual range 4WD is a locked "center diff" when engaged. I would highly recommend AGAINST use on hard dry sealed surfaces (pavement, concrete). Any loose/really wet surface is fine.

50/50 locked split in 4WD. LSD rear diff was an option. Standard on RX's tho.

Coming from the "modern" Subaru camp...in my mind this is how it breaks down...

AWD = center LSD (for front and rear difs, either locked or LSD). In other words, good for on road and "decent" for mild off road. Can be electronic (ie Sti), liquid (ie 2.5RS) or torsen (ie Audi)...or something altogether different.

4WD = locked center dif, no slip at all between front and rear (again, front and rear difs can be open, LSD or locked). Better for pure off road (especially with lockable front and/or rear difs).

Using a "locked" or no-slip dif means bad news for the road. Granted you can drive like that...but ever tried to turn a car with a locked dif...especially a locked front dif? Not happy at all. Around an arc two wheels would much prefer to spin at different speeds!

But this appears to have cleaned it all up. The GL-10 4WD is a "true" 4WD, no slipage at all, with open front and rear difs (unlike RX which is rear LSD...wonder if it is 1 way, 1.5 way or two way...probably one like the RS). Coolness.

AWD = center LSD (for front and rear difs, either locked or LSD). In other words, good for on road and "decent" for mild off road. Can be electronic (ie Sti), liquid (ie 2.5RS) or torsen (ie Audi)...or something altogether different.

4WD = locked center dif, no slip at all between front and rear (again, front and rear difs can be open, LSD or locked). Better for pure off road (especially with lockable front and/or rear difs).

Not coming from the old school subies I can see why you left out FULL TIME 4WD as came in some GLs and the RX. Open, but lockable, gear type center diff, when locked its 50/50.

But this appears to have cleaned it all up. The GL-10 4WD is a "true" 4WD, no slipage at all, with open front and rear difs (unlike RX which is rear LSD...wonder if it is 1 way, 1.5 way or two way...probably one like the RS).

The RX has a spring loaded clutch type LSD (not the viscous type in the later Subes) and I believe it funtions as a 2 way.

Gary