Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boost question

nkx

Sure you can...

When I installed my turbo gauge...right after, when I was very first testing I sat in the car, put it in neutral, and leaned onto the gas. Granted boost didn't build until much higher revs but it was there.

I'm not EXACTLY sure...but this is a guess.

Ever tried walking a dog? Let go of the leash and off it goes running. Hold the leash and he'll pull against it...building power. I'm guessing the engine needs that sort of "resistance" to really build exhaust flow.

Like I said...guessing here.

The turbo responds to gas flow through it. At idle, the engine doesn't produce enough gas flow to spin our turbo enough to produce significant flow. Without a load, opening the throttle has the same effect as increasing the idle speed: The engine speeds up until the internal drag balances against the power produced by the increased intake flow, a point that still does not significantly increase exhaust gas production, and also produces relatively high-vacuum in the intake once equilibrium has been reached. If the throttle is opened fully, the engine speeds up as much as it can until internal drag matches the power produced, either due to limited intake flow or valve float. It doesn't take significant power to maintain no-load valve float, and that probably won't produce enough exhaust gas flow to spin the turbo to positive boost.

It DOES take power to accelerate the engine, which acts as a transient load that could get the turbo spinning. But once steady state rpm is reached the load drops off and so would the power and the resultant exhaust flow.

Well, if you can get boost in neutral, that'd be cool as I'm trying to deal with a hesitation during boost. I was hoping to get fuel pressure readings but didn't think I could get the boost to kick in neutral so I could get readings.

simon

if what they're saying above is true, then I don't think you'll get accurate readings building a 'lil bit of boost in neutral... I don't own a turbo, but it would make sense to me that fuel pressure under tiny boost in neutral wouldn't necessarily be the same as fuel pressure under higher boost under load.. slap me if I'm wrong

get a simple medical syringe a large one and tee in a vacumgauge/mechanical fuel pump gauge

or a vac/boost gauge with it and hook i to the regulator and push/pull on the plunger to simulate vacum and boost conditions

btw go to a vet place or feed store and get teh large ones used for giving mediacation oraly to cats doges horses ect

fairly cheap