Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I fix this??? Wheel question??

I bought a set of 4 steel wheels with 185/65/r13 studded snows on them for 50 bucks lastnight. They are the common grey steel wheels and supposedly came off an 83. Well, I put them on my 88 and the calipers rub hard on the wheels. Can I grind the calipers down a little?? I thought all sub 4 lugs would work?? Didnt realize there was a difference?? Any ideas??? I suppose I could do the Idaho unmount and remount on my current rims??

There is a difference between the wheels. The offset is slightly different.

wagdiff.jpg

As you can see there is a measurable difference. You can grind the caliper to clear but it could cause problems down the road. I would suggest that you just remount them.

BTW, the older wheels will not hit on the rear drum or discs.

It might be excessive corrosion on the new wheels - or on your drums.
There are no drums..... simply rotors and calipers. The wheels are rubbing on the outside of the calipers. Should be able to grind it down with no problems. Whats strange is they look identical to my 88 wheels, just grey instead of black??

You can grind the caliper to clear but it could cause problems down the road.
I only need a little room and the calipers have plenty to spare. Im curious how much I could shave without having future problems??

I would suggest that you just remount them.
But then I have a set of wheels that dont do me any good ;)

yep...they work just fine. I have them on the rear with my originals on the front...looks ghetto...LOL

Thanks for the information and diagram

Well...I fixed it. They were barely rubbing so I did some grinding. Hardly any grinding at all....mostly the casting marks is all I needed to grind. Soooo, should have no future reprecutions (spelling???) from the grinding.

Woohoo I have studded tires!!! :banana:

Well...I fixed it. They were barely rubbing so I did some grinding. Hardly any grinding at all....mostly the casting marks is all I needed to grind. Soooo, should have no future reprecutions (spelling???) from the grinding.

Woohoo I have studded tires!!! :banana:

I would be concerned about clearance when actually driving on them. Cornering flexes wheels enough that hubcaps pop off, so you might want to think about if you really have enough clearance...

I would be concerned about clearance when actually driving on them. Cornering flexes wheels enough that hubcaps pop off, so you might want to think about if you really have enough clearance...

good point:) I will do a harder road test tonight

you sure wheels flex that much? im just thinkin about how rigid aluminum is, and how it would break if it was flexin for 100k miles.

Good stuff Ken...

Sorry bout the mis-information Powens, I wasn't aware of this difference

John

There is a difference between the wheels. The offset is slightly different.

wagdiff.jpg

As you can see there is a measurable difference. You can grind the caliper to clear but it could cause problems down the road. I would suggest that you just remount them.

Well....I tested it hard last night and got no rubbing or vibration in the brake pedal. Before I did the grinding I could feel the "contact" while braking and hear it. Now I cant hear anything nor can I feel anything. I think it will be fine. Besides its temporary until I get the GL10 put back together....which should be this weekend.

Thanks again everyone

you sure wheels flex that much? im just thinkin about how rigid aluminum is, and how it would break if it was flexin for 100k miles.
True, cast aluminum would crack before it flexed much. But we are talking steel wheels here.

And non-cast aluminum flexes just fine, depending on treatments and composition... just look at how much airplane wings "flap".

Glad to here that your wheels worked out. I ran across the same problem a few years ago after student driver destoryed a tire and I had to "borrow" wheels for our '84 (*edit -should be '85 - end edit*) GL-10 from an '82 GL. Lovely noise.... :rolleyes:

Glad to here that your wheels worked out. I ran across the same problem a few years ago after student driver destoryed a tire and I had to "borrow" wheels for our '84 GL-10 from an '82 GL. Lovely noise.... :rolleyes:

that shouldn't have been a problem, as long as EA81 steels are going on another EA81 they'll fit just fine

that shouldn't have been a problem, as long as EA81 steels are going on another EA81 they'll fit just fine
Oops!!! This is what happens when typing after double-shift...

Should have read "85 GL-10", not '84. I will edit original post.

Thanks for catching my brain-fade! :)

Whats strange is they look identical to my 88 wheels, just grey instead of black??

Look carefully at any one of the spokes. If you start at the hub you'll find the spoke has a smooth curve all the way out to the rim on the EA-81 wheels. Compare that to the spoke on the EA-82 wheels and you'll notice a definite "kink" in the spoke just before it gets to the rim. Qman is correct, all EA82 wheels will fit on the older cars, but the EA81 wheels will rub on the EA82 front caliper. This general statement is not true for the alloy wheels which seem to work on either generation of cars (at least I haven't found a set that don't). The EA81 wheels tend to be more robust than the newer ones. The EA82 wheels can bend at the "kink" more readily and will start to wobble when that happens. I once had collected 3 sets of the EA82 wheels and took them to a local tire shop to have them checked for "trueness." Only 4 out of the 12 were okay; that's when I switched to alloy wheels on my EA82 wagon and still use the older style wagon wheels on the Brat or older wagon.