Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How does hi-lo dual range work?

How does the DR work?

I understand transaxles (front and rear drive) and I understand the typical 4WD drive setup (stick a 2-speed transfer case in between transmission and rear end).

The subie dual range I do not understand. Is the dual ranging all done within the transaxle housing or is there some other magic going on.

Thanks,

JM

There are actually two sets of gears inside the dual range tranny: one for "normal" and one for "low". I've seen that job and I don't want it!! :eek:

When you shift into 4x low, you actually engage the 2nd gear set, I do believe. On the other hand, I'm not the total tranny guru, and I'm going on memory...

Not that i've ever taken a d/r apart, but this sounds a little odd to me.....

I would think that there would be a 2 speed g/box attached to the output of the main g/box.

The FSM for the d/r 5 speed shows the hi/lo gearing above the diff in the front housing; this is also where the hi/lo selector linkage attaches.

Far easier to do on the input shaft than the output, as the torque it has to handle is limited to engine's, not multiplied by gearing.

Far easier to do on the input shaft than the output, as the torque it has to handle is limited to engine's, not multiplied by gearing.

AND, if you were to try to do it after, you'd have to have to 2-speed gearboxes, or run a driveshaft withing the transaxle from said gearbox to the front diff. So... theoretically (though I can't see a reason you'd do this) you could disable the 4WD part, and still have D/R FWD. huh....

So.......

Which gears are regular and which are low range?

They kinda all look alike to me :rolleyes:

It would be cool to know which gears do what?

Anyone capable of labeling those parts?

Trannys are over my head!

:confused:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester