Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch/Hillholder adjustment question for the experts (86 Brat)

I replaced the clutch on my Brat about 3,000 miles ago, I noticed that the hill-holder stopped working about a week ago and now I am getting a bit of grinding when I go into reverse. It also just seems to be taking a bit more effort to go into all gears.

So to my questions:

1) Is this the normal indication of the cable needing adjusment?

2) Is this "normal" mileage for the first adjusment? (I dont ride/slip the clutch)

3) When adjusting the cable, how many turns of the nut are typicle?

4) Any tips or tricks when adjusting them both?

I remember years ago I had the same issue, and what happened for a while is that the hill holder would start sticking untill you gave the clutch pedal a jolt... if your HH has tighened up cause they are annoying like that, then its probably just stretching your clutch cable.. just wait another week or two and the hillholder cable will snap like mine, and all will be good...:drunk:

-Mike

(I suppose you could also just take the hillholder cable off to prevent any problems too)

Disconnect the hill holder first and then adjust the clutch cable (about 1/16" to 1/8" of play at the clutch fork or about 1/2" of free play at the clutch pedal) and see if the tranny stops grinding; if it still grinds you have other issues than the hill holder. If it doesn't you can reattach the hill holder cable and adjust it until you can just slip a dime between the coils of the return spring on the hill holder (that's the proper tension). Your hill holder also acts a a return spring for the clutch fork so you should really reattach it.

So if I'm understanding what I'm reading.....The HH may be sticking and that is causing the clutch issue??????

From what I can tell, it seems that the clutch is not fully disengaguing when I depress the pedal, and that is why I get the slight grinding when going into reverse and a bit more resistance when going into each gear.......How would the hill holder affect it not disengauging when I depress the pedal? Wouldnt it be the opposite problem?

Someone tell me if I'm wrong here or slap me silly tell I get it !

Your clutch adjustment is the problem.

Your HH is just one of the symptoms.

Adjust your clutch first to where it feels right. Make sure it double nutted on the end where you adjusted it.

I had mine done years ago and the next morning it was doing just what yours is doing. The adjusting nut was not doubled (locking it in place).

After you get it adjusted properly then remove the HH cable permantly!

It can be a real hazard off-roading as it will give you unanticipated results trying to roll backwards.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer W/O HH it's entire life!

01 Forester glad not to have one.