Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to disassemble CV

Well I know I'll be breaking something tomorrow!

1. remove complete axle from vehicle.

2. undo clips retaining outer CVJ boot and slide cv boot up axle shaft out of the way.

3. Fix axle in large vice, axle vertical, with outer cv joint pointing straight down.

4. Belt outer cvj off the end of the shaft with large, heavy hammer. Try to strike squarely , with as much of the hammer hitting the centre 6-point star section of the joint as possible, rather than hitting on the outer edge.

5.Usual Disclaimer: This technique works fine with most FWD vehicles including Toyota, mazda, ford, nissan and later model subarus. I have never acutally had to try it on an early model subie thou. The cv is retained by a round-profile circlip, you need to apply enough force to pop the circlip closed. Re-assembly is of course the opposite: align cvj with axle splines, endsure that the circlip is sitting square and true, and smartly smack the cvj onto the shaft.

Yep, ya beat um off.

I've done a few for re-boots, some go hard, some VERY hard, some dont go at all (a press would do the trick). On the really stubborn ones I just disassemble the inner and reboot from that side. The parts are very hardened steel but I normally go at them with a brass or aluminum drift, a helper to hold the drift with vice-grips is a big plus. And like mikie said put the force into the center star.

Gary