Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New wagon has problem

Ok,

SO I just got this thing, its a carbbed 87 sub wagon. It had sat for a few years and as I tried to drive it home, it blew a coolant line on top of the motor. The lady also told me that it had an accell pump problem, which was clear even in my 5 minutes of driving. So, long story short, I rebuilt the carb(got a kit from NAPA) put new oil and filter and such in it, I also did all ign stuffs plugs wires cap and rotor. Car gets off the line ok, but about between 2k rpms and 4k rpms it lags. Above 4k rpms it has good power, I think. I used to the ER27 and turbo 4s, but it has slightly more power then the turbo cars bofore the boost. Crusing down the highway, its hard to get it to 75, but I'm going up and down hills in CO, so CO guy7s could help if thats about right. Anyway, back to the lag, its like the car is surging, like driving into gusty wind. It also stalls sometimes when cold, and it idles kinda high when warm, but that may be normal.. Anyway, I just kinda need ideas what it may be. First, my ideas are the float may be maladjusted. I did it by eye with the little ruler they provided, and with the measurements the kit provided. If theres a better way, please inform me. Second I was thinking coil, cuz it kinda does it at high load or ign timing is wrong, but not really a fan of these as it idles great. Third may be a vacuum leak, again due to the idle I'm not a big fan of this on either, but lots of the lines are old and moldy as it were, and maybe.... is there a line that may cause this? I've kinda looked it over for that kind of thing, even watered it to find leaks, but nada. I also might have forgotten a line, but I went back through it and found it was ok. Last idea was the fuel/fuel filter, the fuel was old in it, but it was empty and now has about 1/2 tank of fresh. This is very likely, but I cannot see it effecting the 2-4k rpm range. the filter might also be clogged, but I think the higher rpms would suffer. Any ideas?

I am not quite sure what it is, as it could be all of the above... It could be a carb problem most likley the float, sounds like fuel delivery problem to me. I would change out the fuel filter first, as that's the cheap fix. And won't go over 75 eh? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Sorry.

Rick

Are you at altitude there? (I am at sea-level, so no little of your fun in the hills.) Did this come from a higher-altitude area and had an alt-comp device, or maybe a home-made equivalent that is causing your mid-range to go too lean? I assume that the good high RPM behavior is because of a carb enrichment circuit (not sure if Subaru carbs use this).

I'm not very knowlegable at all, but just thought I'd throw this in...... I had a 73 3/4 ton GMC that I let sit on the side of my house for a few years, when I tried to drive it again it would "surge" when it was accelerating and under load. And not just surge, but sometimes bucking and dying. It would idle just fine and rev no problem with no load, but as soon as it started needing more power it would do it.

I cleaned the carb and replaced the first fuel filter from the carb, but no luck. I sold the truck and my buddy that bought it from me told me he had to drop the tank and replace it (easier than cleaning it, he had an extra one), and replace the other fuel filter. The gas had "varnished" (I think was the term he used) and stuck everything up.

Like I say, I'm not the most knowledgable person about cars, just thought I'd try...... :)

this was the last year for the carb being used on these cars

as a consequence they were enamored with many pollution control devises

I had an 87 4 wd carbed wagon that did the same thing.

Kerry at Roo Builders told tale of a solenoid mounted on the

air cleaner snorkel - possibly in control of the bowl vent

After changing that the 2k - 4k flat spot was gone and the engine well...

ran as good as a carbed car of this weight can run

or

you might just try a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank

Thanks for all the replies. Yes all the ign stuff is new, just put it on yesterday, NGK stuff. All gapped right. Yes the fuel is varnished, and I'll try to get to the filter soon, but I do not believe it is that varnished that it might cause something like this. I had an Rx7 that had sat for like 7 years and the fuel was blood red and would not burn. This car was almost dry and I put in 1/2 a tank, its only kinda yellow. Skip, what is this solenoid thingy of which you speak? Not the EGR is it? Also BTW the hose for the EGR is totaled as in broke to hel. I didnt think that mattered, but if you could get me more info on the solenoid thingy, that'd be great. Also, seafoam in the gas?!?!?! WOW! blows my mind, this stuff work for everything dont it?:cool:

Phil

You now know as much as I do now about the solenoid "thingie"

Please email Kerry, he will cut you the skinny on the thingie.

You can find his email on the "members" list.

He knows these carbs better than anyone on the board.

Seafoam has indeed been known to work miracles

be aware it may take 100 mi. or so to work it's magic.

HO!!

not to be rude - too late

I believe he does work for CCR engines

you could email Emily

or

try a search for posts by Roobuilders or rubuilders or Kerry

or

you could try and help yourself by looking for the "thingie",

I told you where it is located,

then test it.

one can only lead the horse to the water trough

Sounds like a plugged up fuel system to me. Try changing BOTH of the filters and also make sure your throttle cable isn't too loose, as that can also cause these symptoms. Also try and use up as much of the old gas as you can and keep putting new gas in it to flush out the system better. When gas sits for long periods of time it will get all thick and gummy and smells like vinegar.

I hope it starts working better for ya man!

also make sure your throttle cable isn't too loose,
MY throttle cable is REALLY loose and I found that strange, its like all limp and such.

Kerry at Roo Builders told tale of a solenoid mounted on the air cleaner snorkel
HO!!

not to be rude - too late

I believe he does work for CCR engines

you could email Emily

or

try a search for posts by Roobuilders or rubuilders or Kerry

or

you could try and help yourself by looking for the "thingie",

I told you where it is located,

then test it.

one can only lead the horse to the water trough

Geeze homes cut me some slack. You said its on the snorkel, and I asked if you were refering to the EGR as thats the only thing on the snorkel of the air cleaner box. How am I supposed to look for it if I have no idea what it's called/looks like/is or is not? You do mean on the metal part of the snorkel right, not down somewhere in the fender? I also remembered that I disconnected the metal part of the snorkel from the fender part mostly to make it louder (which didnt work) and because I figured that it didnt do much, like in my 6, just kept it quite under the hood. The only other thing I saw on the snorkel is the EGR, to which the tube is broke and really is not doing anything. I would think though that the EGRs biggest thing is emissions and would only marginally effect the running of the car. I'm sorry to inconvenience you with the Keryy thing, but I dont know that person and had no ieda that they worked at CCR. I did a search for kerry and posts by them, but I didnt get anything. I'm sorry I didnt think to search for ru builders. Thanks for the help everyone again, I reloaded the tank again today and the gas is looking better, but it sttill runs poor, but I took it wheelin and broke like a tranny mount or something so I'll be under it tommarow and I'll poke around and check/replace the fuel filters too. \

Thanks

Whoa - Jackson

I am sorry sir, slack has been cut

and

a chill pill administered.

I react a bit hostile before my coffee kicks in

when being referred to

like as a horse.

"HEY" is for horses ain't it?

Good luck with your problem.

BTW The EGR and the air cleaner "box" are not associated.

at least

on any of the cars I have seen.

and

carburetored cars do not have

an "air box" last time I looked,

now there is a solenoid "thingie"

connected to the EGR valve control line.

It does look like the one on the metal snorkel

that should be located on the air cleaner housing

"box" if you will.

I am sorry for the confusion

please accept my apologies.

I will retire now

Do you have a carburetor on this car?

Sorry again for being a putz

Happy New Year Sir.

Ok,

So I poked around under the hood a bit more today. Went to a yard to get "new" front lights and rear door struts... wagons all blinged out now. Yes it is carbbed, hitachi stock junk. Anyway I think I see what you are talking about. What I saw that I thought was an EGR is called the hot air intake baffle, which is more of a way to get the car to warm up faster using a switching air pick-up location. Switches between picking up air between the exaust and the fender. The thingie I think you are talking about is on the side of the snorkel right next to the air filter. It does go to the EGR which is on the back of the motor. You say this goes bad right? Is it common? I'm just wondering if it would be safe to get one out of a yard for like $1 instead of paying full price. Does any one know the testing method for this thing, or what its called? I'm dealing with a Haynes here and I could not even find a pic of the right intake in it, 1980-1989 my backside indeed! Its like they took apart an 84 GL sedan and thats about it. I adjusted the throttle cable and that did help a little bit. It responds a ton better, but the missness is still there now more like between 2300 and 3000 RPMs. Its annoying, but lots easier to drive now. Also if anyone has a pic of the top of the mid 80s carbbed cars engine, mostly around that area, I could use it to ask around. I'll check the members photos too, but thats a long search.

Thanks for all the help people.