Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommend an all season tire

Hello, this is my first post. I'm in the market for a new set of all season tires for our '02 TS wagon with 90k+ on the originals. With so many tires to choose from I was wondering if you have a good tire to recommend or a bad one to stay away from. Car is driven in Ontraio, Canada.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with Michelin Harmony tires on my '99 Outback Wagon. They are very good all-around tires for a daily driver. The Harmony is billed as a tire that is very good under all conditions, but doesn't excel at any one thing. I find that to be an accurate description. Handling, ride and traction are very good in dry and wet weather. Snow/ice performance is good, but not on par with dedicated winter tires.

You are of course the ultimate judge of what you want to put on your car's rims but more and more the consensus is that if you happen to drive in sub zero temerature a good winter tire is a must. The main problem is the rubber compound of all seasons tires become much harder around -10C° and at that point you loose much of your traction on icy surfaces and your braking distances will be much longer.

Just my 2 cents.

Hello, this is my first post. I'm in the market for a new set of all season tires for our '02 TS wagon with 90k+ on the originals. With so many tires to choose from I was wondering if you have a good tire to recommend or a bad one to stay away from. Car is driven in Ontraio, Canada.

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A - best tire ever, 60k miles with no problem, no road noise, chews up ice and snow.

Not sure about smaller size availability though, as would be needed for a Subaru - I guess I will be finding out soon.

90k miles on the originals??? Wow! Do they use the same OEM tires in Canada as here in the states (195/60/15 Bridgestone RE-92's) ? We took those tires off our TS with about 2000 miles, and got a set of WRX takeoffs with low miles for $250. I'm trying to sell the OEM 15" rubber since I have removed them and replaced with snow tires, too bad you're not local cause I'd sell them for $100 for all four.

IMO: I'd recommend getting a set of brand new WRX wheels and tires from somebody local, shouldn't be more than $300 US or so, then you have a set of nice alloy rims plus tires for less than the cost of some all season tires. Check www.nasioc.com for regional forums and I bet you'll find someone selling a set, they're always on there, you just have to look around. Then, you can put some snow tires on your 15" steelies. You'll have the best of both worlds, better looks and handling for the warm months, better snow / ice performance in the winter.

Steve

getting a tire recomendation is so subjective (michelins are the best! michelins suck! etc)

I don't think tire selection matters that much if you are choosing an all around all-season tire for a passenger car. (now if you compare summer/winter vs all seasons, that's different). Before you choose a brand or a make, choose some criteria that are important to you. You can choose a tire that's geared towards dry performance, tread life, noise, low price, snow/wet traction, whatever, but youre not going to get it all.

on my other car, I went from a potenza re950 to a goodyear affinty comfortred- and contradictory to what I just said, I noticed a differnce in just about everything. But I went from a "performance" tire to a "touring" tire. If I slap on some michelin harmony's, I doubt I would be able to tell the difference to the goodyears.

I would first determine what factors are most important and go from there.

on my other car, I went from a potenza re950 to a goodyear affinty comfortred- and contradictory to what I just said, I noticed a differnce in just about everything.

Bjwirth,

Could you please elaborate? I recently purchased them based on good reviews and I consider them good performance tires but not truly "all seasons".

Take a look at the new good year assurance..you can go with the comfort tread more of an all season or the triple tread which although is rated an all season has the snowflake designation for winter driving..probably a better choice for ontario...i run pirelli P3000 cinturato for summer and just put on GY icegrips with rims for the winter on my forester and am very satisfied. I am in Ontario also near ottawa. I have heard nothing but good things however about the new assurance tires...

I have had great luck and can recommend the Michelin HydroEdge. It's excellent and one of the top-rated ones on the Tirerack Reviews, BTW.

There's a new Goodyear M&S rated all season that's also an assymetrical M&S all-season tire. It is also highly rated on the Tirerack Reviews.

I just put the new Nokian Hakka MRI's on a Honda Accord with traction control and ABS. We just did a three-way test of the Honda (2005 V6) versus my 97 OBW and a Honda Civic (no snows or ABS or Traction Control). The Subaru with Nokians would be the best, but the Honda with them did very well - it steered much better and stopped a little better than the Scubie. I have 31,000 miles on them and the trad has worn from 11/32nd new to a little over 9/32nd.

on the 93, I have a set of Cooper Trendsetters... Good traction, got about 6k on them now. Been through Snow, Ice, Rain, Mud and more just today alone. They didn't miss a beat...

on the 01, I have a set of Lee All Weather (made by Goodyear) drove it today as well, not a problem with them either.

Based on my own personal experience, avoid Dunlop SP SportA2 and Uniroyal American Gold. Had bad times with both of these brands.

This is just my 2 pennies... (ching, ching)

I'm in S.Ontario as well. I have a 97 OB.

As stated, you really need to determine your criteria. For me, long life is at the top of the list as I do a lot of driving. Performance criteria (ultimate grip, cornering, etc) is not near so important.

I've gone thru a few different tires over the years. I've probably had the best luck with Michelin overall. I've had some very good Yokohama tires, but then I've had a couple of defective ones from them as well. I don't really have much experience with Bridgestone or Goodyear.

I put 160,000 km on a set of Michelin X-Ones. Very good overall tire. Not the greatest in the winter, but ok with AWD. I keep hearing good things about the HydroEdge which has replaced it.

I am just approaching 200,000 km on a set of Toyo 800 Ultras. Very similar overall to the X-Ones in character. They were even better in the winter I'd say. However, I've had to battle a slight vibration / balance issue at highway speeds from time to time, so I'm a little hesitant to recommend them.

I've been looking around myself for tires as I am again in need. I'd like to try the Nokian WR all season tires. One thing I don't know is treadwear rating. I suspect it is a lot less than the 700ish rating of the X-One and 800 Ultra. I've heard very good things though about this tire. Equals most winter tires, but is an all season tire (that sort of thing).

Call a few places and give them your criteria. 3 years ago, I had 4 out of 6 places recommend the Toyo to me as a result. Other than the slight vibration issue, they were bang on what I was looking for.

Commuter

Bjwirth,

Could you please elaborate? I recently purchased them based on good reviews and I consider them good performance tires but not truly "all seasons".

I was just rambling. I guess what I meant to say was that given tires that are "classified" the same, sometimes the average driver cant tell significant differences between them (maybe one tire will have a marginally better grip when pushed, or ride a little quieter).

when you take tires that are on opposite ends of the spectrum, then yeah, you'll definately notice (like the potenza and affinty example). but when you take tires that are comparable in features, then maybe you wont notice, or the difference will be so insignificant, you wont care.

now about your statement saying potenza's aren't all-season tires, I would have to agree with you. I bought them b/c I thought I wanted a "performance" type tire at the time. now I just want a quiet all around long treadlife tire.

Michelins are very good tires but imho I believe they are overpriced and overrated. There are tires just as good if not better than Michelins for far less money.

~Howard

:rolleyes:

Name away!

I took the last Michelin off my OBW with 57,000 and they still had 6/32nd" of tread. We just replaced the tires on the cargo van at work - 95,000 miles on the front and 75,000 on the rears and still had 5/32" tread.

The HydroEdges on the OBW now have gone 32,000 miles and have 9/32nd of tread left - new was 11/32nd. They're fantastic in rain, very good in snow and have good dry road cornering power. There isn't a tire on the market that's cheap enough to make it worthwhile cutting corners. The last OBW we sold went in a day when the buyers expressed confidence that it had been well maintained. Why did they think so? "You bought Michelins."

I've had excellent luck with Goodyears as well, but they're not much less expensive, tire-to-tire. If you have specific data that shows that another less expensive tire has the snow traction, ice traction, wet braking power, and dry cornering power of the HydroEdge and costs less, I'm all ears. Certainly the tirerack surveys listed above indicate otherwise.

Tires are one of those areas that if you "Cheap Out" you are going to think about it every time the weather gets bad.

BTW NTB will give you a tire tread depth gage to measure your trad for free.

• 7 months later...

The Bridestone Potenza RE92 taht came on my Mom's '03 Legacy GT Sedan are JUNK! They at AT the wear bars at 29k, they have been rotated every 7,000 miles keep at correct pressure and my MOM DROVE IT!! They have also developed dry crack inbetween the tread and on the outer egdes of the side wall!

Does any one have any experence puting the Hankook or Kumho tires that tirerack.com loves so much on a Legacy GT sedan? How are they holding-up. I just want a quiet, soft riding, long wearing tire for my Mom's car.

Howards11, The do not sell the Discverer II in a 205/55R16 size? Also a Light Truck tire would be ill suited for a sports sedan!

The Yoko Avid TRZ and the Fuzion tire brand by Bridgstone on tirerack seems like a nice tire but I can't find dealers in my Mom's area of New York?

If I were buying tires right now I give COOPER TIRES a shot. Check out the DISCOVERER A/T.

~Howard

:)

I've a bad experience with Cooper tires and wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. The same thing with "house brand" tires. I agree with Ranger83 about not "cheaping out" on tires. In the long haul, over the years, Michelin has consistently produced the best tires. I don't bother to price-shop for tires anymore, I just go to Discount Tire and buy Michelins.