Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can I find a factory cat back exhaust for a 78 Brat

Another board member (Todd) and I are contemplating buying a load of such exhaust parts and entire systems.

Price for the rear section would probably be under $80.An entire system,hopefully under $200,all three pieces-Y pipe,mid-can,and the lengthy exhaust/muffler section.

There's no promises here,but I'm fairly close in location to the source,so it's extremely tempting to take the lot off his hands.

Todd and I are dedicated to the 70's Subarus and really help the others who are into keeping them going.We'll do the best we can on price,within reason.

Ok, I just need to know what a Brat had for emissions on the exhaust in 1978. I work at a exhaust shop where we build headers. I should have no problem making a new system. I just need to know what a California Brat has to have on the exhaust after the y pipe to make it pass emisions.

The exhausts we are looking at are NOS. They almost look like SUBARU parts. They are complete with heat shields and the proper hangers.

The 78 went from the Y into a "premuffler/resonator" and then the muffler /tailpipe. It is an odd configuration with a top entering muffler and a side outlet.

I also will be able to get Gen 1 4WD wagon/2WDwagon/2WD coupe and sedan. Paul and I will be discussing this. Hang tight. Here is a sample of what we will be acquiring in multiple #s

Toddmuff.jpg

I assume you just want all stock for the OEM look?

If a 78 Brat was not required to have a CAT you can put what ever you want on it as far as california emisions inspections is concerned.

I have smoged multiple vehicles with Incomplete exhaust systems no problem. just needs the proper cats if required. ask subarujunkie about the exhaust on his car. I put it together in an afternoon using stock cats (2) and a pipe running out to the side in front of the rear wheel. passed no problem.

now noise emissions. thats only an issue if you get pulled over for it.

edit: there are plenty of aftermarket exhaust companys that sell bolt on OEM style exhaust if thats what you really want. usually more money than the Good muffler shop can do it for.

Now I am not sure if I need a cat or not on my Brat. It is a 78 but it has a replacement door on it from a 79. It says non catalyst. But I do not think that will fly with the smog techs. Any other way I can figure out if I need a cat or not?