Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone in WA good at cuttin springs?

I know, bad idea.. but better then the dead air suspension now. I got a set of struts/coils goin on a xt for air replacement. But would like it to be lower to the ground then higher off it. Im thinking maybe 1 or 1 1/2in cut off. Struts and spring are still in boxes and arent mounted yet. If anyone In WA could make the trip up and cut my springs for a small amount that would be cool, money is kind of tight but maybe i can work with something.

I have to strongly urge you not to cut springs, it will make the car act like a springboard, and will reduce the capacity of the car, but being an XT its not like you have room anyway. Once a mechanic always a mechanic, better to wait and do it right then to do it wrong and then do it again.

That said, its your car, its just my .02 take it or leave it, not trying to preach.

ok then build me a new suspension kit:brow: My friends dad did it on all four struts of his mustang and it didnt seem bad at all. I would just need on the front 2, becuase i can flip the top mount on the rear struts to drop the rears an inch. Just want to even it out.

I know, bad idea.. but better then the dead air suspension now. I got a set of struts/coils goin on a xt for air replacement. But would like it to be lower to the ground then higher off it. Im thinking maybe 1 or 1 1/2in cut off. Struts and spring are still in boxes and arent mounted yet. If anyone In WA could make the trip up and cut my springs for a small amount that would be cool, money is kind of tight but maybe i can work with something.

You can cut the springs, but its not a good idea to do so. You are much better off putting uncut springs in now and lowering the car the right way when $allows it. Its better to be safe than sorry.

by cutting the springs, oyu are also cutting the rate the spring can handle, giving the car worse handleing than if you left them stock. It will bottom out easier, and the springs will be worn out alot quiker.

I have no opinion either way....just make sure you either have a replacement set before hand, in case you don't like the result.....or make sure you research the idea well and have a good idea of how much to cut, FIRST.

I did my front and rears on my 89 5.0 coupe. It worked like a dream....on my Mustang. I also had to long slot the lower mount to my front struts to adjust the camber to prevent spending a bunch on overpriced camber plates...that option isn't open to Soobies.

If you DO decide to cut, I would limit it to 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time and try it for effect. Also, the best method (for someone without access to a machine shop, at least) is to use a DREMEL tool to cut them. If you don't have access to a DREMEL, a second best method would be by a hand-held (Weld-Hog) grinder with a cut-off wheel.

Unless you find someone who has mucho-mucho experience, do not even think about using a cutting torch. Too much heat and will, even with heat sinking, ruin the temper of the metal and you'll end up with a nice set of heavy duty ink-pen springs.

Besides, the Dremel or hand grinder method take less than 5 minutes and take really no prep other than safety issues.

Just remember the 6 P's (actually there are 7 but 6 will suffice here)....

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance

That's my .02...

Good Luck!

HbL

Ok, do any of you know they dont make any aftermarket crap for the xt? and im only 16 and cant modify stuff without screwing it up.

I remember a company called Subspeed that make custom parts for older subarus, I don't remember the web adress, though. I'm going to look for it right noe.

Yea not to mention i could have one of my friends dads maybe do it, He can do anything, he deserves to be on overhaulin or something. Works at littlemonsters garage. You should check it out, i think they might have a website, anywase! He would prolly charge me to much.

Another thought... since you havn't installed them yet how do you know you wont like the height they will give you. Sure its a bit more labor but I am in the school of thought that you should install them, see where the car is now and where you want it. Then if you choose to cut the springs, cut em a little, put em back on and see where you are... repeat until you are as low as you want.