Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cut off swithch!!!

how do i go about installing a "kill switch" on my '86 soobie GL wagon 4 cyl.? i want the switch to not allow the car to start when i park it. is that a good thing? i know it may be an easy thing to do, but when it comes to electrical stuff, i tend to shy away from fear of short circuiting something! thanks guys baggyshorts!

you can buy a kill switch that is commonly used for heavy machinery through napa .it hooks up to your positive battery cable and is literally a keyed switch that kills all power to the rest of your car.it mounts anywhere you would like and when the key is with you there is no power to anything .i was thinking about mounting one under the spare tire area.you open the car, pop the hood,and you are able to stick the key in and there you go.i do not know of there is a specific name for it, a friend showed me one that he installs on the heavy forklifts that his hoddies use.around 50 dollars is not bad for the peace of mind that it could give you.

The problem with that is that it would kill the power to the computer, clock, and radio memory. You do want to "wire" something in, and there are a zillion ways to do it. I like the fuel pump idea, but I would install a double-throw switch with one side being between the relay and the computer on an FI engine and the other side cutting off power to the coil. That way, it doesn't spark or flood if someone tries to steal it (if you just cut off the fuel pump, it will chug for a few seconds).

I am an Electrical Engineering student, so leave it to me to find the most complicated (though thorough) solution :)

Is yours SPFI or carbed? If it's SPFI, you could just cut off power to the ignition relay, which would turn off spark and fuel. I'm not sure how the carbed systems are set up, but since there is already fuel in the carb, you won't be able to do anything about flooding. You could cut the ignition by installing a switch in the black and white wire going to the coil.

Probably the easiest solution would be to cut the starter control power. It could still be roll started, but it would still be a significant deterrent.

monstaru - OK, the only ones I had seen like what you were talking about, but it cut of the ENTIRE system - the ad was in reference to MG's so it was probably not a bad idea!! After all they are wired by Lucas Electric - prince of light :lol:

I restored an MG Midget once - wasted time - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

another idea i had, just look for the ign. fuse, i think its like a 15 amp fuse, second row down and the third fuse from the left, i think. just pull that out and your car will not start, i found that out the hard way trying to get my rx to run.

Prolly the best and least invasive idea yet :drunk:

monstaru - OK, the only ones I had seen like what you were talking about, but it cut of the ENTIRE system - the ad was in reference to MG's so it was probably not a bad idea!! After all they are wired by Lucas Electric - prince of light :lol:

I restored an MG Midget once - wasted time - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

85sub4WD, I did too, my sentiments exactly!

how do i go about installing a "kill switch" on my '86 soobie GL wagon 4 cyl.? i want the switch to not allow the car to start when i park it. is that a good thing? i know it may be an easy thing to do, but when it comes to electrical stuff, i tend to shy away from fear of short circuiting something! thanks guys baggyshorts!

If you don't mind popping the hood to start it, you can pull the coil wire. I left my car in a hotel parking lot for a week one time, and just threw the coil wire in the trunk before I took off. If someone really wants a vehicle they can just drag it onto a car hauler, but pulling the coil wire will at least slow down the guys with a brick and a screwdriver.

I had an ignition lockout installed on my new truck when I lived in Houston. They wouldn't insure it without one. It was about $100 bucks at a place north of you near Louetta and Spring Cypress rd. It automatically engages when the the vehicle is turned off, and you have to put a little plug in and out of the device to turn the vehicle on. If you leave the plug in, or wait more than 20 seconds, the ignition gets locked out; so they call it a failsafe ignition lockout or something like that.

- James B

Damn, I got it now! Add a switch below the driver seat to cut between the acc. power on the ignition switch! It will save the info and kill the power without having to jump start.

Only problem there is that somebody could still crank it for quite some time, leaving you with a dead battery. Better than having the car not there, but problematic nonetheless.

I'd try to find a dual-circuit switch that can shut off two independant circuits. I'm not sure where you'd find one, but there's got to be one for something. Then run coil power through one and starter control power through the other. That way, they can't do anything (besides vandalize and jack the stereo:rolleyes: .)