Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo questions

i thought that the rx and gl-10 had an ihi vf7 turbo, i saw the badge on the urbo under the hood of the rx and the one i pulled from it, both say vf4.. any idea whats up with that?

i know it isnt the old school unit, it has the oil and water lines running in it.

odd thing is that the first one i had fit the down pipe perfectly and the second one doesnt. any one know whats up with that? i looked at the listings for ihi and they have vf1 through vf14 assigned to subaru.

thats odd that i would have two vf4's that both came on newer ea82t engines, the one i just got came with the engine from 1988. the whole thing was pulled from a car as a whole, not peiced together at the yard. now im curious, i want to get ahold of a vf7 for compairison. btw, i think the first engine and turbo i had came from a gl-10 from either 87 or 89, i not sure which one i got when i put it in, i just know it had new heads on it.

My ea-81 turbo is a VF-1

FWIW,parts book shows 4 different turbo part#s almost by year as follows:14412aa002-85,14412aa003-86,14412aa031-87-march 88,14412aa032-march 88 up

I`m thinking some may be VF-4,some VF-7,

How about a poll?