Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Positive experience at the local 4x4 shop

singletrack

So there's a offroad shop near the bicycle shop where I work, place called Barney Brothers Offroad. They've been there a while, have a good reputation, and certainly aren't hurting for bussiness.

My boss is a Jeeper, and he was picking up his truck the other night and introduced me to the welder. He checked out the Subie, I told him I wanted to get my diff welded and he says no problem.

So I tore it down and took the clump-o-gears in to him yesterday, today I pick it up.

The damage? $15.

That wasn't the end, before I could leave he brings everybody in the store out to look at the Wagon, there was much crawling about and questions asked. It was generally agreed that 20 year old Japanesse station wagons are cool. All this whilst I'm parked in a row of Jeeps, all of which could easily run my car over.

Anyway, he's gonna weld my diff hanger for me now too, and anything else I need.

SOOOO.... if you happen to be in Western Colorado and you need work done, that's the spot.

:headbang:thats rad It just proves that cool people get stoked on cool things.

SOOOO.... if you happen to be in Western Colorado and you need work done, that's the spot.

What are their weekend hours? I need both my mustache bar and spiders welded.

Did you drop that block in yet?

I have gotten 95% thumbs up from everyone who's checked out my wagon. My friends drive BIG scouts, jeeps, and toyotas, and they are genuinely excited about it, especially now that I've gotten a chance to show em what its made of. I've actually gotten a surprising amount of respect from the guys on Island4x4.com (local wheelin' club) considering they havent even seen it in person yet. They will soon enough though.

Showed a local guy with an STI my subaru and he though it was wicked. I told him about guys modding the old cars for performance and off-road and such, told him about the rx, the granddaddy of the wrx, and really opened his eyes to the old school generation of subes.

What are their weekend hours? I need both my mustache bar and spiders welded.

Did you drop that block in yet?

I dunno what the hours are, but they're literally like 100 feet from work so I can drop off or pick stuff up for you if needed. Lemme know.

I haven't done the motor yet, it still adourns the coffee table. I need my tax refund to get a clutch, and I was gonna wait till spring break (middle of March) to do it anyway. Working in the driveway sucks right now.

you will love the welded diff...

Hell yeah! Time to get stupid!

Glad to hear they liked it!

I've found the people into offroading are truely about offroad; its not what you wheel but where and how often :) They enjoy seeing new rigs on the trails and get a kick out of seeing a station wagon out there hitting obsticles. Sure some freindly ribing is expected but to them its all in good fun.

The guys that wont even give you the time of day are pansy web-wheelers who are more into the bolt on bling and talking about where they think they could go.... if they actually wheeled it offroad :rolleyes: They are more into tearing you down verbaly so that they look that much bigger and badder to all the other wussy web-wheelers. The good thing is you wont find these dorks out on the trails :lol:

it nice when people actually say something about offroading in something that not many other people will offroad in. i got a lot of respect from the local offroaders here in my astro after i had to pull there 4x4 toys outta the stuff i just went through with no prob. about the only people that i think really give you hard time about that stuff are the people that dont even hit the dirt with their 4x4's