Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My plan, any comments?

What I have is a 89' Brumby/Brat with twin weber carbies, performance cam, bigger valves, 2" exhust, 2" lift.

I plan on upgrading the stock air filter to a home made foam filter with a rex like scoop on the bonnet. I need to get two pipes that would fit to the carbies and connect on to a alloy box which will be where the spare wheel normally goes.

I also plan on getting some new 9mm spark plug leads with some iridium spark plugs. Also thinking of a better coil, what should i look for?

I'm thinking of putting another inch of lift on the rear, I am looking into building 3" solid alloy blocks and replacing the square tube thats been used. Will I need to do anything to the shocker mount?

Ross, there have been a rash of problems on this side of the pond

with the Accel Super Stock coil. (the name given in Jeg.'s catalog)

(for proof please do a board search for "Accel"

you will see what I mean)

The MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) Blaster -2 coil seems to be an excellent choice with

no problems reported to date. (35 usd)

Jeg's I believe will ship international.

here is a link to it for refernce purposes

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1656&prmenbr=361

Hope this helps

I'm assuming that you are using the Subaru two carb manifold and that these are 32mm Webers. Everytime I read that someone has twin Webers on their cars I flash back to my Porsche (4 cylinder) with the twin 40mm downdraft two barrel carbs. I'd love to put a similar setup on a Subaru engine just to see how that would work.

I love the video thing you did, great for videos, but can see a usefulness to it, but it sure would be fun to see driving from a road level view.

Got and pictures of teh engine setup?

Ross, there have been a rash of problems on this side of the pond

with the Accel Super Stock coil. (the name given in Jeg.'s catalog)

(for proof please do a board search for "Accel"

you will see what I mean)

The MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) Blaster -2 coil seems to be an excellent choice with

no problems reported to date. (35 usd)

Jeg's I believe will ship international.

here is a link to it for refernce purposes

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1656&prmenbr=361

Hope this helps

Accell Super Coil #140001 and Accell Super Stock coil # 8140 are two different coils. You have to watch the MSD coils you listed also, depends on the part #. Maybe this will help.

(Taken from another site)

MSD/Accel round coil info

As most here know, I am in the ignition system business. That said, there is information I'd like to post on coils.

I used to recommend MSD Blaster II and III coils for my HEI conversions. They used to work well. These coils used to be manufactured at Andover Industries, Andover, Indiana, and were of superior quality. In early 2000, production of RED MSD Blaster II and III coils, p/n's 8202, 8203 and 8223, was moved from Andover to a company in Mexico, Pro-Bobbin.

When this happened, I started to experience HEI module failures for no apparent reason. Others did as well, and MSD box failures when the RED Blasters were used. It was so untraceable that the problem would only be found by changing the coil. The cause was the insulation materials between the wire windings was deteroratinf and falling away from the coils, causing a layer shorting of the coils, and change of resistance/load on the module/box and failure of same.

The 8200 chrome Blaster II coils remained at Andover, and had only the regular failure rates one would expect from a mass produced coil, functioned correctly. Sometime last year, production of the 8223 RED Blaster III coils with the HEI terminal,was returned to Andover.

When I finally figured it all out, I switched my recommendations on coils to Accel round Super-Stock, made at Andover. Good quality coils, problems stopped, up until about a month ago. IN the last month, numerous Accel coils, 8140 and 8140C, were coming up either new defective or had operating issues like missing, erratic idle, no performance. This was traced to a move in production in the Accel coils.

Accel was sold earlier this year, off the Dana Corporation, and the Accel coil production was moved form Andover to Taiwan. It was these Taiwan Accel coils that were having the issues. I have vended 19 Taiwan Accel coils in the last month, had 16 of them defective/develope problems with under 2 hours run time on them. No more Accel recommendations for me anymore.

To identify different Accel round Super Stock coils:

Andover Accels have segmented crimping at the top of the case to retain the top, with raised sections around the top.

Taiwan Accels have a clean full crimp around the whole circumfrence of the top of the case.

AVOID THE ACCEL TAIWAN COILS.

Coils and their origins:

MSD,

8200, and now, 8223 Blaster II, III series, Andover, good quality

8202, 8203 Blaster II series, Pro-bobbin, Mexico, avoid

Accel 8140/8140C, 8145/8145C, Taiwan, avoid

A good black coil with the same specs as the good Andover Accel is the NAPA IC12, same specs.

AVOID the lesser cost NAPA IC12SB, Mexico made, low quality

Crane PS20, PS40, Andover, quality

PerTronix, NO, Taiwan, reboxed with USA logo, avoid

Mallory round coils, no info

Jacobs coils, overpriced Taiwan, avoid

Hope this info stops someone from getting a problem coil.

Craven

Got and pictures of teh engine setup?

my subie page is here

I'm not sure if there 32mm. I'll have a look in the morning and post here again.

Has anyone put a pod filter on a subie carbie set up? Any pics?

Any thing on the lift? Do i need to change anything for another inch of lift? I'll get a picture of the shocker mounts in the morning too.

Why am I the first to ask about your bigger valves :brow: Are they swaped in from something else or did you buy them as an aftermarket upgrade? Still running stock valve springs? What valve guides did you use with them? Did you port out the heads or intake manifold runners with those bigger valves?

Sounds like you got a hopped up Brumby !_!

I messured the carbies. They are 55mm on the inner top of them. (does that make any sence to you?) Does this mean there 55mm webers? or did i messure the wrong thing?

Would a Mr. Gasket Mallory Promaster coil #28720 do the job? I can get one off a friend, What would a second hand one be worth?

Why am I the first to ask about your bigger valves :brow:

I would love to tell you what they are, what was done. But that;s how I got the subie. I know a subaru mech done it up, and all the previous owner could tell me was it had bigger valves put in it... Its not going as well as when I got it a few months ago. It keeps burning out old spark plug wires :banghead:...

Would a Mr. Gasket Mallory Promaster coil #28720 do the job? I can get one off a friend, What would a second hand one be worth?

It should work just fine. The only thing is you will have to use a new style coil wire end on it. They sell new for around $80 US so you should be able to get it for half that or less.

Craven