Ultimate Subaru Message Board

jumpy rpms and missing

when i'm either going up hill or i'm over 3000 rpms the rpms needle does a sort of "surging" or "jumping" motion and it misses, it's an N/A ea82. If anyones got even a good guess, by all means post, I'm thinking i have a cracked head or blown gasket or somethin because it was over heated last summer several times, but then again, there is no smoke comming from the exhaust. The raidiator cap leaks very small spirts like every minute, I think this is from pressure build up, I do have the thermostat out because it stopped working. dunno if that has anything to do with it. Also, when i tightened the plugs on cylinders #1 and #3 they just kept threading, so the head is stripped, dunno if that has anything to do with the rpms jumping either, any ideas or help is greatly appreciated, thanx in advance, -Jesse (85glwagon)

a slack timing belt can cause backlash at the cam which drives the distributor, prevalent under load. check the timing belt tension

sounds like the spark plugs are strupped, they should be only hand tight and 1/8 turn after

having coolant spit out the cap could be a sign of combustion gasses leaking into the radiator over pressurizing it. you can run with the cap off to get you by if it becomes too much of a problem

you may want to conseider a haead gasket job, and replace or re tap the head with the stripped plugs

Thanx everyone for the great input, I am going to start with the plugs since thats going to have to be done either way, if i do a helicoil do i have to remove the head in order to avoid metal shavings getting into the cylinder? also, do the head gaskets from an ea81 fit on the ea82? thanx again, Jesse

P.S. the rpms ONLY jump up, never down.

T if i do a helicoil do i have to remove the head in order to avoid metal shavings getting into the cylinder?

No - you don't have to pull the cylinder head, though it is prolly better if you do

I had to REDO a helicoil in my head that some A** HOLE screwed up - and he even used an OFF-BRAND one that was pure crap - shot a spark plug out of the engine on that cylinder :eek::eek:

anyway - use some HEAVY grease - helps with cutting and will catch metal shards - especially put it on the 4 wells in the helicoil tap and in the hole - BE VERY CAREFUL!!! - make sure you have cleaned ALL the grease away before you try to install the helicoil, or else it will come out at your next spark plug change

I vote with the crowd - either a bad connection inside the disty, or way too much slop in the bearing

Good Luck!!

well, turns out the head isn't stripped, I was tightening the plug and it was just spinin and spinnin so i thought it was stripped, but it's just a long plug :rolleyes: so anyways, i thightened that up, i looked at the cap and rotor, it was ALL KINDSA mangled and messed up. so i replaced both cap and rotor, but none the less, it still does to sputter rpm jump thing. allot of you say it's slop in the dizzy bearing, never run into something like this, do i just order a new bearing, and how much are they ussually? i hope thats all it is, i have to admit though i have my doubts because it wont do it unless the rpms are high or under stress, if I drive down the road in lets say second gear when i get to about 3000-4000 rpm it will start jumpin and it misses slightly, if i shift to second on wet pavement and stomp it and spin the wheels at like 3-5000 rpm It won't jump at all, it's like it only does it when there is resistance, in neutral it don't do it, if u all still think it's the bearing plz post a note and i'll call around and see if i can't get one, anyone know where i could get one btw anyhoo, plz post back,

Jesse

I would've made my own thread, but since the issues are so closely related (granted, I've got an EA81 instead of an EA82), I'd rather bump an existing than make a new. So...

edrach - care to elaborate on what worn bushing would feel like?

Before I put the brat down to investigate the strange noises I have coming from the flywheel area, I also experienced similar symptoms that were described above. Jumpy tach, light misfire, but I have an additional symptom.. I hear vibrating sounds coming from the dizzy assy, and can feel the vibes through the dizzy cap. Sounds a bit like the bearings on your roller skates when the locknut isnt torqued down enough. The tach jumps when the vibes are made, so I know they're related. It only occurs when cold, and very rarely when at warm cruise.

I've concluded before that it has to be the bushings worn, but I've gone out and grabbed the rotor and can feel only the slightest movement.. as in much less than I'd expect to feel if something was worn out. A guess by feel would be about 0.05" of play. Whats the "limit"?

.05" is almost 1/16" and I would consider that too much; a good bushing will not wiggle at all. I know there's no real spec but this is a personal opinion.

I would've made my own thread, but since the issues are so closely related (granted, I've got an EA81 instead of an EA82), I'd rather bump an existing than make a new. So...

edrach - care to elaborate on what worn bushing would feel like?

Before I put the brat down to investigate the strange noises I have coming from the flywheel area, I also experienced similar symptoms that were described above. Jumpy tach, light misfire, but I have an additional symptom.. I hear vibrating sounds coming from the dizzy assy, and can feel the vibes through the dizzy cap. Sounds a bit like the bearings on your roller skates when the locknut isnt torqued down enough. The tach jumps when the vibes are made, so I know they're related. It only occurs when cold, and very rarely when at warm cruise.

I've concluded before that it has to be the bushings worn, but I've gone out and grabbed the rotor and can feel only the slightest movement.. as in much less than I'd expect to feel if something was worn out. A guess by feel would be about 0.05" of play. Whats the "limit"?

• 1 month later...

I have no idea what they charge but people in Portland have reported they are quite reasonable. Call them up, I'm sure they have a 'phone number on their website. Good luck with it. ---ed---

Send your disty or another to http://www.philbingroup.com/fhhistory.htm and have them rebuild it. They are quite reasonable in cost and would easily get rid of the bushing wear.