Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob, 84 Brat

Hi All, Wow, neat site didn't know it existed. I am posting for my son as he is busy doing nothing (teenagers).. I am sure this topic has been beat to death but please understand, first time posting, noob on the block!

Any way, I bought this 84 Subaru brat last year for my 17 year old, it is all right shape but will be needing a new clutch, and it shifts a bit rough too, kind of grinds trying to put in reverse, engine drips oil and well... I may be looking for a rebuilt eng or tranny and curious how to come up with those?

Any one in Pacific North West do anything with these Brats?

I would like too keep it as original as possible, my son wanted to use this as a trash it/tear it up vehicle but I found that it is harder to find them and worth more working then in pieces, plus it is fun to drive!

He will have to save some $ to get these but thought I would start finding contacts.

Parts are hard to come by on the Eastern Side of Washinton State.. I buy most parts from E-Bay but no luck on these big items.

Engine has 184 K, miles. Runs good, drips oil so probably last another 20 yrs.but?

So I guess I am looking for a rebuilt EA-81 and tranny?

It is a 84 Brat, 1.8 EA-81. Manual trans, 4 wheel drive.

Been a great little car, cheap to run and runs all over for next to nill for him to run, exspecialy when dad is buying the gas and insurance!

Lousy at navagating in these sites and sorry for no flashy stuff on screen, I will let my son take over as I logged him in and he can do all that!

Sorry so wordy, Thx, Mike

P.S., I paid $700. Been driving it a year, changed bearings in front left axel and new shaft. My son and I have bonded over, tinkered with, scratched our heads over this car.. but been worth every penney as he gets his hands dirty once in awhile and good experience for him!

I'd say the engine just needs to be resealed(Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, water pump and gasket, oil pump and gasket) not hard to do yourself. You are probably dripping oil from the front, if so, It's probably the oil pump seal or "Mickey Mouse Gasket" because it looks like mickey mouse's head.

As for the tranny? How's the gear oil look? You said the clutch is slipping? Could that be why it kinda grinds when you put it in reverse. Or could the idle be too high?

I wouldn't be dead set on getting a rebuilt engine/tranny just yet.

If it was me. I would replace the gear oil in the tranny. Pull the engine and reseal it, and replace the water and oil pump...or have it done if time/space do not allow for yourself to do it. When the engine is pulled, i'd get a new clutch pack (Pressure plate, clutch, and pilot bearing) and get the flywheel turned or a new(ish) one. LIke from the junkyard...or even a fellow board member. Then I'd put it all back together and see if it still has the reverse problem.

Welcome to the boards and we're glad to have you join.! Don't be afraid of asking what you might think are "Noob" questions. I ask them all the time, they don't seem to mind.:drunk:

[HTi]Johnson

Welcome to the Board!!

Have to agree about pulling engine and doing a re-seal on it. Would take a good look at the clutch pack, and maybe change it while the engine is out.

The hard shifting, and grinding into reverse, could be caused by the Pilot Bearing heading south on you. Or, it could just be the clutch needs adjusted, maybe install a new clutch cable as that one could be stretched enough that you can't adjust it, and it won't move the pressure plate enough to fully release the clutch disc.

:grin:

I was thinking the same thing! What AREN'T we doing with these things up there and around here? Glad to have ya, its always nice to see new people with older cars! I can't offer much advice on your troubles, other than to listen to what the above posters' commented on the re-seals and stuff, just wanted to drop by and greet the new guy! Anyway, search through this site and you will see exactly what we are doing to these cars. have fun!

I'd say the engine just needs to be resealed(Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, water pump and gasket, oil pump and gasket) not hard to do yourself. You are probably dripping oil from the front, if so, It's probably the oil pump seal or "Mickey Mouse Gasket" because it looks like mickey mouse's head.

As for the tranny? How's the gear oil look? You said the clutch is slipping? Could that be why it kinda grinds when you put it in reverse. Or could the idle be too high?

I wouldn't be dead set on getting a rebuilt engine/tranny just yet.

If it was me. I would replace the gear oil in the tranny. Pull the engine and reseal it, and replace the water and oil pump...or have it done if time/space do not allow for yourself to do it. When the engine is pulled, i'd get a new clutch pack (Pressure plate, clutch, and pilot bearing) and get the flywheel turned or a new(ish) one. LIke from the junkyard...or even a fellow board member. Then I'd put it all back together and see if it still has the reverse problem.

Welcome to the boards and we're glad to have you join.! Don't be afraid of asking what you might think are "Noob" questions. I ask them all the time, they don't seem to mind.:drunk:

[HTi]Johnson

Thanks all for the warm welcomes! Not sure how too reply to posts so I am just going to try this out. Good info and probably yes to all the little leaks and the clutch pack replacement.... the stuff I have worked on the Brat it is not too bad.. tight but very forgiving! I replaced the clutch cable last month as it broke and not much adjustment left, leaks on engine, yes looks about in that area so may try your idea..I may have a project when it warms up!

This is excellet starter info and thanks to all that replied!

Hi Mike This is Jerry, i live in Selah and drive to Sunnyside every day to work. Your brat is not hard to find parts for just got to know where to look for them. The engine needs to be resealed to stop the leaks. As for the clutch and tranny it would be better to install a 5 speed tranny when replacing the clutch. You will be much happier with the 5 speed. Also i make a 5 speed kit for your brat and it keeps the brat stock looking. Have any questions call me at 509-952-2855 Thanks Jerry