Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator Whathaveyou's

I'm trying to figure out what exactly happened, so I'll describe:

I was driving on the highway last night and like normal, my lights were getting a little brighter when I brought the rev's up. Well, one of those times, the lights got very bright, and the voltmeter went high then it gave out. Volts dropped and continued to drop and the lights were dimmer, but fine for driving. All systems worked fine and the engine lights were on.

I was pretty concerned about losing power completely and wrecking my car and killing us, so I pulled over thinking the car was about to die (I figured it was running off batt. power and no alternator charge) When I pulled over, I didn't shut off the car and saw the volts drop down to about 10 (I think it was) When I started moving the car again, the volts went up to about 12.

I drove all 200 miles fine - car starts and everything. Is this a fuse or something? I thought I had blown up my alternator but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't want to get stranded anywhere not able to start my car now.

Any thoughs as to what is the culprit?

Sounds like the alternator itself. Time to get yourself a spare one. No more than a 15 min job on the side of the road if need be.

Quick test to see if you are running on battery next time. Pop the hood while engine is running. Pull off positive terminal from batter; car should stay running off alternator only. If it dies and all electrical systems die then you are running on battery alone.

Every time my alternator has gone on a subaru thats exactly what happened for the 2 days or so before hand. Its the voltage regilator(sp?) going out which is internal to the alternator. So I'd say you are on borrowed time with it, find your self a new one soon.

Ditto. When one of my previous Soob's started doing that, I drove straight to the auto parts store and had them test it. Changed it in the parking lot - easy easy. I just noticed on this latest Soob a couple days ago that the volts were down to 9-10v. I changed it with my spare as soon as I got home and all is well again.

I went through a stage where I fried alts on a regular basis. Got to the point where I could change one on the roadside in under 10 minutes, and carried a spare at all times. I saw the effects you describe many times. Just like everyone else said, get a new alt ASAP.

I recently had the same drop to 10 volts and got a remanufactured one... well it didn't work... after 3 hours on it I had the same problem. I returned it and they replaced it and so far so good. I had my Pops go to a pull a part on the washington coast and pick up a spare... he did and brought it to schucks and they tested it. It's in my trunk for a spare with a new belt just in case. Good luck. by the way, I paid 75.00 for the reman and 15 bucks for the pull a part one pluse 12 bucks shipping from my pops to here so for 102.00 I got a replacement and a spare. The belt was 7.00 so 109.00 total. Some times the "T" connector needs to be cleaned and I recommend that you try that before anything else. Good Luck, Boing

personally, I wouldn't bother with a JY alt - you can get lifetime alt's at parts stores and never have to buy one again....

A junkyard one can be hit or miss; this is true.

The liftetime warrenty on parts like alternators doesn't mean you get free replacments until you die. It means you get one free one after the first one breaks. Now if that new one you got from the return breaks; SOL and time to buy another.

well, after fighting w/ my car for a bit I got the J/Y alt. in. I had it tested and it was pumping out 14V w/out trouble.

There is no change from the previous alternator that I can notice. I am still getting slightly under 10V even when it is brought up to speed. I also had a hell of a time getting the drive belt right and now that it isn't squeaking any more, my power steering is lagging at low revs.