Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler Installed!!(pics)

Hey, thanks to everyone that helped me get this done.:drunk: Next up is the hood scoop.

subeintercooler.jpgsubeintercooler1.jpg

That's a close one aint it?

Now, I haven't changed the timing...should I? I noticed I lug around 4grand sometimes.

Oh yeah, I was going for the "Cleanest Intercooler Install"...but that dude with the front mount owned.

[HTi]Johnson

man that sucks hot air - soto speak

even when you add a scoop you are going to

need something to assist the air flow through it

and breathin' the output from the rad fan

ain't too kewl, if you catch my drift

Don't sweat the hot air too much. The hot air really takes it's toll during idle. While moving, it won't be much of a factor if any at all.

I tested this out on one of my XT6s at the dragstrip. Running an open air cone style air filter netted a 3-4mph gain in my trap speed vs using a stock air filter setup. The open air cone style filter still had a 1-2 mph gain in trap speed over a stock intake setup with no air filter and ducting going out to the front foglight. Off throttle response 'felt' a tad slower but pickup and top end with the cone style filter was noticable. And this says a lot since these XT6 engine bays get HOT.

As for an RX, I noticed a 6ft gain in torque in the midrange through dyno testing. This wasn't tested with a closed hood. However, I did remember reading a SCC (Sport Compact Car) article at one time that had a car lose hp/torque due to the cone air filter sucking in hot engine bay air. The fan that came on was blowing hot air directly on the air filter. I just haven't experienced this with a Subaru.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27996&page=1&highlight=dyno

Believe who you want and whom ever numbers you want

but

it is a simple matter of the physics of the situation.

Cooler air is more dense and thus contains more 02

&

the combustion temps and detonation are a direct function.

I believe you have a rad fan on that side.

Many after market intake units now come with a partition

to keep the engine heat "at bay" so to speak.

My filter is located in inner fender area.

For your IC to do it's job effectively

it must have air flow through the coils.

I have a rad fan mounted over mine to assist this flow.

J

good to see that your ride is still moving under its own power, skip has a valid point, the radiator fan will force air up the spare tire shelf, get some sort of shrouding attached (thick innertube, conveyor belt... Mudrat has some) around the IC to seal the gap between the hood scoop(when you get one) and IC, otherwise, watch out for filling the IC with mud, not to mention that nice big cone filter ;)

-N