Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update.

Okay, I tuned up the Soob, plugs (NGK), wires (7mm silicon), new disty cap and rotor, new fuel filter, new exhaust, new fuel pump. Mileage still at 21-22 MPG. I am getting better mileage with my Explorer. I looked for the "other" fuel filter by the firewall, did not find it. Old fuel pump was leaking, entire area was soaked. Whoever put that one in there, really did a good rig job on it. The new one was made for my car and went on in less than 10 minutes, replaced the lines while I was there. Had the exhaust fixed, the cat was totally clogged, replaced with straight pipe, both the front and rear are gone, sounds pretty good. Now, why isn't my mileage getting any better? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What car? engine? Trans?

I have the original EPA window sticker from my '87 GL wagon with a carbed EA82 and the 3AT, says 22mpg hwy... thats all they ever got and mine will get that with easy freeway driving (below 70mph). Now if its a FI engine or a manual trans you should do better.

Gary

P.S. Actually, My wagon got around 24mpg before I rebuilt the carb but I was way lean and would detonate on the hills.

What car? engine? Trans?

I have the original EPA window sticker from my '87 GL wagon with a carbed EA82 and the 3AT, says 22mpg hwy.

That's what I'm getting with my 5-speed EA82 (22-23MPG, mixed hiway/town) and I am rather dissapointed. I am a very ''docile'' driver most of the time too. My 4-speed EA81's I had for the past 10 years would give me nearly 28-30MPG regularly!

I put the carb on last May. It was bought new/rebuilt from O'reilly's. I have adjusted the jet and it doesn't help the mileage. I also have a vacuum leak that I cannot find, and it is pissing me off. The car is a 1987 GL, 5man, d/r, It really runs a lot better now, just can't get the mileage thing nailed down.

did you ever replace the O2 sensor. those can suck your mpg's. out here in montucky we have the winter blend (10% ethanol) gas right now, and that drops me down to about 23-25mpg mixed driving. have you changed the gear oil recently? a good gear oil can give you an extra 1-2mpg's if your other stuff was old and wasted..

A couple of tricks you can use to find vacuum leaks:

1. A piece of heater hose or garden hose about 2 feet long. With the engine running, hold one end against your ear and scan around the engine with the other. It helps isolate the sounds. Listen for hissing.

2. A squirt bottle full of soapy water. When you find a hiss, but can't quite isolate it further. Start squirting individual connections and mating surfaces in the area. Look for places where the bubbles are sucked in and listen for the engine to falter.

As another point of referrence, my 87 GL Sedan, 3AT, SPFI got 25 MPG no matter how hard I flogged it. I couldn't get lower than 25 MPG. I got 32 on the highway once. My average was in the 25 to 27 MPG range in mixed driving.

Another way to search for vacuum leaks is by wafting propane or butane with an unlit torch over the hoses and gasket locations. The propane will richen up the mix and the engine will perk up for a a moment. Not for the squeemish about fires though, but I've had good luck with it. DO NOT Use an OXY ACETALYNE TORCH FOR THIS.