Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 Brat brakes works tooo good... HELP

When I bought the Brat the old owner put a new master cylinder in. He said it needed calipers because the front brakes dragged and you had to release the pressure by opening the bleeder valve on the master cyl. Anyway I got the Brat home and installed new calipers, pads, rear shoes and cylinders, bled the system and everything worked great, about 10 miles later front brakes dragged so bad that the brat wouldn't go over 20 MPH. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, all I want to do is drive my new Brat. Thanks Trudy

Based on your description, I cannot think of anything obvious that would cause this situation to occur, as you've already replaced all the possible culprits.

Well, I guess the first thing would be to verify its the correct master cylinder. Limp it up to the parts store and get them to pull one off the shelf for you. Walk outside and compare.

Also look into the rubber lines that are in the wheel wells. In the mid 80s Fords, they were known to swell themselves shut and cause a similar situation.

And uhm.. thats about all I've got this early in the morning.

Is it both front brakes or one? I have no idea why both would act up unless a proportioning valve or combo-valve went bad or something along those lines. Also if both brakes locked up, im not sure you'd even be able to hit 20 MPH.

My advice, check your Hill Holder cable, if its adjusted too tight, it will cause one front and one rear brake to lock. that was the problem with one of my wagons, the front brake dragged to the point that it was barely movable, untill you opened the caliper bleeder valve. loosen it up and check it out. The swollen line is a possible culprit but i would check the HH first. Its a bit easier.

Well, i found out that I don't have a hill holder soooooo I guess I'm looking for another master cylinder. It's the only thing I can think of because I went through the whole system again after everyone's suggestions, re-bled everything and again this time it dragged after about 10 miles. Total frustration !!!! Thanks for all the help! :) Trudy

I had a car do that once, it was like the brakes wouldn't release all the way. I changed the caliper no change. Turned out to be the brake line hose that had collapsed on the inside and wouldn't let the fluid return. Since a Subuys brakes uses a X pattern, instead of a front - rear brake bias. I would make sure the hoses going to the front brakes are not twisted or in a bind.

Hey Twowagons, if you cant find a mastercylinder for that year brat(80 Gen 1... right??), I believe I have a new one thats just sitting around as an extra backup part that Im willing to sell to you if you really need it and cannot find one. Ill double check to make sure. Email me at tbag1331@yahoo.com if you need my help. Tommy.....

You should also check to see if you have the correct rim on the vehicle for that year. The rim could be dragging on the caliper. If you jack up the car,see if the wheel will spin. If not loosen up the lug nuts, and check again. If it does, that is the culprit.