Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more ea82 motor probs!!!

okay so about a week ago i had my timing belt snap so i fixed that and for the rest of the week it ran beautifully, then on sat i was taking a friend rallying around my property and hit a small jump type spot, meaning about a foot straight dropoff while going downhill doing about 20, onto a flat area. and ever since then it wants to keep sputtering, and the only way it seems to want to drive is to put the pedal down enough to open up the 2nd barrel. i double checked the belts to make sure it hadnt slipped time and checked all the vacum lines and both are still fine. my carb was a little rough and was kinda needing a rebuild but could this have broken it more? also engine was running quiet before this happened, now it is ticking like a bi&%$. and missing as well. dont have a compression tester but when i pulled the plug wires off 1 at a time on each 1 it made it run crappier when i took them off so i assume all the pistion are still working ok.btw its the pass side head that is ticking real bad. any thought would be greatly appreciated, i tried to figure this out myself but cant seem to.

is it making any funny sounds other than the ticking? I ran into a concrete block once and punctured the "Y"-pipe and made car run like crap, check underneath the car around the exhaust and all the way back to the muffler, might find your problem under the car. my thoughts.

~Josh~

OK, when you describe the driveability probs, I think carb rebuild, but consitering the shock, I would also check the distributor as it is the only other culperit - save the exhaust system, but I found with carbed cars that exhaust system holes are not much of a problem (no O2 sensor to confuse); except for loudness (then again I never busted my Y-pipe, but I have run with it disconnected from the rest of the exhaust system) - ticking makes me think oil pump seals - may be time for replacing those anyway.

yea the ticking is from low oil pressure. reseal the oil pump and get a feeler gauge and make sure the oil pump parts are within in spec. I resealed my oil pump 3 times before finally checking the parts with a feeler gauge and it was out of spec.

And yes, you could have damaged your carb in that hit, but I doubt it. I've rallied pretty hard and never hurt by carb. Possibly smashed the exhaust shut? check that

well im posative it didnt even touch the exhaust since not 1 part of the body touched, and its 2 in from the cat back and still has plenty of air flow through it.

im really starting to think its the carb since last night i took my wife to work and me and my kids decided to hit the dunes, (a bunch of hills and mud) and on the way home it would idle ok but as soon as i tried to give it any gas it would sputter real bad, no matter how much gas i gave it.i ended up having to limp it the 5 miles home.

i will recheck the disty today to make sure i rule that out as well, i do know it has no up or down or side to side play in it.

does anyone know where the hell the # is on the carb??? i know its the stock hitachi carb on an 85 and it has no idle air adjustment screw at all on the front, the auto parts places have 2 different carbs listed for that year and cant tell me crap about it, they give me some long #'s that i cant even find anywheres on the carb.

ok this damn thing is still running like crap, i got lucky and the carb rebuild kit i order was the exact 1 i needed, so now the carb is rebuilt but is still isnt doing sh#%. i notice that it will idle pretty much perfect other than a miss that ive had 4 a while, but as soon as i push down on the gas it sputters and dies if i dont let off it, but if i rapidly push the gas pedal i can get it up to redline but as soon as i try to hold it down it doesnt wanna do anything but die.

shawn not really sure what i was supposed to check on the hose but from what i can tell they are working fine, but i have below 0 showing on the oil pressure gauge inside and i made sure it was still connected.

torxxx i gotta ask where is the oil pump on this thing? i cant seem to find my useless haynes manual right now

im begining to get a little pissed off with this car i was bragging to people for years about how good subarus were and now that i finally got another 1 ive had more problems with it that any pos ford i have owned!!!!! im begining to regret even buying this car!!

sorry subaru dude but this wagon spend more time with the hood open that any ford i have ever owned, and i hate fords and would never own another 1

torxxx i left my timing covers off after doing my belt change so it should be easy to see. i wonder if maybe thats part of the prob?

miles that was the first thing i checked was the electrical and all the vacume lines, and when i rebuilt the carb i left the float the way it was so i didnt take a chance of over adjusting it

what do you gotta use to reseal the oil pump, just permatex or do you gotta get a gasket 4 it?

all i know is if i keep having these problems this thing is gonna go up for sale with the carload of parts i got

it's ok, i guess i can understand why it'd piss you off so bad having to put aside so much time to get it running right. been there done that.. lol.... you said you didn't touch the ground when you did the "jump" so this probably isn't your prob... maybe the oil pan got nudged a little and now it's plugging the end of the pickup tube? And yeah like Miles said... just recheck all the electricals.

Jordan

dragon yes timing is probably the problem. I wrecked my car this winter (drinking and driving.. one of my worst decisions yet)

I did a jump. hit a 6 foot tall gravel pile at 45 mph. flew 20 some feet before I landed. Just the impact of hitting the bank that hard spun my belts. Car ran like dog************ after that. They are easy to check if you got the covers off. The passenger cam mark should be 180 degrees off from the drivers side cam mark. If those are on, check your firing order. Put #1 on TDC then pop off the disty. see where the rotor is. I wonder if your plug wires are 180 degrees out....

just an idear

torxx that was actually the first thing i checked the only way i didnt do it was checking tdc( although im not sure my memory is kinda crappy lol)

didnt have a chance to look at it at all today since it was friggen pouring here most of the day today so hopefully it is decently dry tomorrow to look at it

ok... my car was running fine today, and then i decided to put some NGK spark plug and spark plug wires in the car. every one goes where it's supposed to go, but the car WILL NOT start for anything. the #4 plug wire not being plugged all the way on is the only thing I can think of... but I'm pretty sure it's all the way on. Could the coil have decided to give up on me while I was changing the plugs or what?

Jordan

It would seem you must have put the wires in the wrong positions. Did you replace them one at a time or remove all of them and then put the new ones on?

To make sure you have spark pull out the coil lead from the distributor and place the end near a ground point. Then see if you have spark when you crank the engine.

well got it runnign today, but not exactly sure which thing did it, i readjusted the float in the carb, and moved the disty 1 tooth, and had noticed when i went to unbolt the coil to look at it that the wires had pulled out that lead to the disty when i lifted it up so it might have been a really loose connection. so i put new connections on that as well and swapped in my extra coil just to be safe.

didnt have a chance to do the oil pump today so i still have no oil pressure on the gauge but did notice it goes up a little bit till it warms up, im gonna try to get that tomorrow.

i do have another question what is that little metal tube that comes up from the head on the pass side and bolts into the intake? i just noticed that i dont have a single bolt in it holding it on, but it dtill seems to fit up to the intake pretty tight. is it something important???