Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old tricks on newer Loyale and Toronto Soobers

Hey People:

Does anybody know if the old trick used on the carbed GL's; Using the 2WD Distributor cap (different advance curve?) and using a 170deg Thermostat will provide the same kind of improvements on a FI 93 Loyale?

Also; are there any club members in Toronto? If so I'm moving back from Jersey and would like to hook up.

Cheers,

Gareth

I've heard the trick about the thermostat (and I would like to hear people's 2c on that as well) but I think the deal with the distributor was that you used a whole different 2WD disty instead of the 4WD one. However, since the Loyale's used a newer kind of disty that functioned without points I don't think it will matter what you use.

Since you've got EFI, dont even bother with the thermostat swap. All you'll end up doing is waste fuel.

Why?

Because when the engine is "cold" the computer tells the injectors to run rich, to get the block up to operating temp. With a low thermostat, the block will never get up to operating temperature, forcing the computer to keep the system in "warmup" mode...dumping more fuel.. wasting it away.

---

AFAIK, the dizzy swap was only applicable to the EA81 models. Your Loyale is different, and there are no other options.

Hmmm, what about using a 180 degree stat? The change isnt drastic but might be enough to keep the engine just a little bit cooler. I've noticed pinging using even premium gasoline...I believe my thermostat is faulty (hangs around 1/4 to 1/2 of the temperature gauge) and is keeping the engine exceptionally warm.

Is "operating temperature" designated with that little bar above the lowest bar on the dash temperature indicator?

I've never seen a sube that stayed there. It might be thats the temp they want you to warm it up before use or something. Most sit at half or more. I doubt heat is causing the ping. Spark plugs of an incorrect heat range (too hot) are the biggest cause, along with incorrect timing. Running too lean causes the motor to run too hot and therefore ping, and heavy carbon buildup can cause it but it has to be pretty nasty I think.

The disty cap has nothing to do with advance, you have to swap the whole distributor. As far as a lower thermostat keeping the car in warmup mode, I dont think the change is enough to cause that, warmup enrichment stops a ways before full operating temp.

Dude, my car pings anywhere from 18 to 24 degrees, it doesnt matter. It is even starting to ping with *premium* and my car only has 80K on it, so I severly doubt it is carbon. Besides, I've used several fuel treatments to get gunk out. Since my water pump has been leaking profusely lately, I've had 1-2 times where the needle hit half and went a bit beyond before I could pull over and refill coolant. During that time, my car pinged like MAD even at low load. Heat is really the only explanation in my book unless there is something stupid I'm missing here. The plugs are fine as well, they are the V-type copper ones that NGK says is right for my car (BPR6EY or something).

Oh and before all this when my car was perfectly fine with 89 octane the needle never went beyond 1/4. EVER. I have reason to believe the gauge is correct, since the engine feels significantly hotter when the needle is farther up.