Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much do tires affect mileage?

Been wondering about this. I can't seem to get my Loyale SPFI AT above 20-21 mpgs. Now with my configuration which includes performance coil, wires plus new filters, cap and rotor I should at least be able to hit 23-24. In the beginning my tires were 3 of the same brand and 1 of a different brand. Even tire wear, still had a year or two of driving in them. Due to unforseeabel circumstance, I now have 2 balding front tires of the same brand and two different yet decent rear tires of different brands. Could this be affecting my gas mileage enough that with new tires I could easily gain a mpg or two?

depends on the quality of the tire, and if you keep them inflated, rotated and have your car's alignment in good order, plus the way you drive, but for the most part id say its your P.O.S. automatic trhats the biggest problem.

~Josh~

Yah, I actually tried running all tires at 35-40 just for kicks to see if by lowering the amount of tire hitting the road I could create less drag. Didn't help, though. It hardly matters if they're at 28 or 40 psi.

Timing has been tried at 18 as well as 22 and 24 degrees. No change either, maybe a mpg less at higher timings. Now it's at a solid 22.

I don't think I'm running to rich either, at least it doesn't smell like it and my O2 is new. MAF? TPS?

i kinda have a similiar question, when i get my car back, about how much mpg am i gonna get.tires are 215/75/15's wich calc at 27.7 the rims are 15 inch pug alloys. engine is a ea82. stock exhaust too, but will have replaced shortly. pretty much everything else is stock. a rough estimate would be nice.

i kinda have a similiar question, when i get my car back, about how much mpg am i gonna get.tires are 215/75/15's wich calc at 27.7 the rims are 15 inch pug alloys. engine is a ea82. stock exhaust too, but will have replaced shortly. pretty much everything else is stock. a rough estimate would be nice.

afraid your mileage will be pretty horrible, compared to a stock one.

well i am running 185/70-13 stock size tires at 44psi(max for those) and the timing set somewheres around 14btdc, and just straight mountian driving im getting about 33mpg, ive never even had my sooby on the highway.

im gonna have to agree with ballitch and say its prob the auto tranny thats killing your milage, is it a 3 or 4 spd??

I have a 3AT. See, everyone keeps ragging on my Automatic and Jebus knows that I hate it too, but 20-21 is really off the wall for a car which seems to be in relatively good condition. My plugs are gapper wider, I have a hotter spark and more airflow than stock. So something MUST be off. What sensors contribute to the injection system's calculations, if the tires are not the main culprit?

Don't know much about your car, but I replaced the pcv valve in my 00 OBW a couple a months ago and I have consistantly been getting 30-40 miles more per tank of gas. The car has 118,000 on it and the the old valve I took out had old oil in it.