Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru vs scout

well my scout motor blew a while back and today i had an offer on it so i drug it from my boddies house to mine in my subaru12448P6180045_2_.JPG12448P6180047.JPG

12448P6180046.JPG

yeah it rode pert good except in turns it pushed me through them (well my back end)it wasnt a bad twenty miles though i was really impressed expecly when i pulled it out it had at for 8-9 months and was in a bad place .....pulled out easy (with 4wd)

ps i made that rack out of 3/4 emt and me (200)and my friend (160)(=360) can jump up and down on it at the same time it dosnt budge ........ i love it

these cars do ok towing i give credit to their gearing....

i have been pulling tow duty with my 88 gl sedan spfi fwd 3at to 5spd 4wd d/r conversion. in fact i just picked up a loyale today, i dont have room fo it so im leaving ot on the dolly till i get it running, so i;ll be towing whil running my local errands...

the car doesnt notice an empty dolly

i towed my rx 3oo miles on the interstate from fort wayne, in to milwaukee wisconsin. until i got to fort wayne to begin with i towed the dolly from milwaukee to springfield ill to indianapolis to fort wayne. rx=2700 lbs + 400 lb dolly + all my stuff + parts to 3 motors, probably a good 3500 lbs behind me with a bolt on hitch from an ea81

towing is fun i wouldnt doubt towing again some 3 or 4 hundred miles, i can do 5th gear and 55-56 on the hiway, and get 300 miles out of the same tank of gas

that baja-ized wagon is sweet!! And I too want to know how you killed that motor. I've run a 345 at full throttle straight underwater and all I had to do was dry out the disty cap and keep going for a second water crossing attempt (the water was 5ft deep, I never did make it through)

• 2 weeks later...

it got hot on me and gave a little clack clank and then it sounded like the rear bearing took a break......so the crank maybe good maynot it is a 172 4 cyl its the same engine as the 345 but it is missing driver side bank all the basic parts are interchangeable.

same as taking rear hatch off a 3dr?I thought I'd seen pics of someone in the states with a 3dr that had no back hatch... I know it's legal for me to drive my jeep without the top completely, but that might be apples and oranges because it has a factory installed roll cage

its completly legal its just chopped ive still got a tail gate its the hatch but the tops cut off of it ive got trailer light hook up going to it to give me license plate and brake lights (the gate is a lift off)

doesn't sound like it would be illegal here in the states, then

SWEET!!

Your wagon rocks!!! Any more pics? What tail gate did you use? Looks like you cut it at the front of the rear window, what did you do with the seam at the roof? Do you have any type of removable roof for it? Has any body intregerty been comprimised at all that you can feel? I think if I were to do this I'd cut carefully and make the top have smaller windows yet be replacable with latches. That'd be sweet. Thanks for any info, I love your wagon.

ok well i cut it behind the windows and put in a 1 1/4 square tubing and then cut out metal (from the roof) to put in the corners. then i beat down the ledge left from where the windows where with a hammer it looks perty good (ive worked alot of metal) in the back i just cut the pillers off the hatch and rear of the vehicle. then i cut out metal to put in the holes left from the missing pillers. the tail gate is held on by snaps like on lunch boxes and the original handle (it lifts off)

pics: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?mcats=all&si=&what=allfields&name=muellerdeal&when=&whenterm=