Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza big front end....

Vfrazz

Hello Forum...after viewing responses to my "all wheel reverse" question (below), I thought I'd drop in one gripe that maybe Subaru might pick up on if they're really marketing this baby for off road capability. My 2002 Impreza Outback wasn't two weeks old when I bashed the corner on the bottom of the front bumper on bank while making a tight turn. Since then, I've had maybe a half dozen hits all over the bottom of that thing. I think the front end plastic is way too low, or way too far forward for even the mild off roading I do. Hello Subaru, do you copy?

Well, I'll chime in on this as well, because I feel your pain. I don't have an impreza, but on my 98 Legacy L there was this black lip on the front, I guess for aerodynamics (but I have the feeling it is more to make the outback look taller than anything else). Since I was hitting it on curbs and dips on road, I knew it would be bad off road (I will be lifting my legacy soon), so a couple of dremel cutting wheels later it is no more, and I am much happier. Once I get my lift and skid plate in, I will be cutting more, to get the best approach angle.

I'm not sure Subaru really wants these cars to go too far off-road. In my mind, they are set up for gravel and snow.

I think Subaru would prefer them to stay there.

If Subaru really wanted to capture an off-road market niche, they would sell the D/R tranny in the US.

The adjustable suspension is also no longer available.

All they really have going for them is great clearance relative to their two wheel drive counter parts.

I'd love to see Subaru make a real attempt at producing an off-road capable car again...

...they have done it in the past...

ya, i can assure you subaru, and your insurance company would not like to hear about any offroading done in an impreza =]

You could hardly call it offroading when in an impreza. :lol: No D/R means keeping it pretty mellow off pavement.

But, I'm betting they'd rather hear about the minor stuff I've done in the impreza instead of the gnarly rump roast stuff I've done in the ea81 types.

My rigs are always insured.

IIRC the direct quote from every owners manual is

"your Subaru is designed as an all road vehicle, not an off road vehicle."

i don't know about anyone else but,i don't always do what is said in the manuals :grin:

don't get me wrong,i know my legacys limits an don't plan on crossing them at this moment.i did use to take my 86 gl wagon with d/r 5spd places that some trucks would get stuck.:grin: