Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Subie died...

:confused: Alright, drove 45 miles into town, liven the country life. Stopped, no problems at all, running good. Go to a friends house, still no probs, went to leave and no power, accessories wont even turn, no lights. nothing. got good connects to starter, batt 12.9v, coil, dist., whats wrong :banghead: checked for continnuity (sp)

Subarus, got to love 'em. Learn to cope 'em!?

OK checked it all, took off the batt posts and term. good. checked for broken or loose not connected wires, none. looked at all in line fuses, good. Agh Subarus always seem amaze me in some way or another.! turned key on and left it, batt. has 12+ volts, but acts like no power. sitting there screwing with wires and it just turned on. my ignition wires were loose under the dash! Got r dun! Subarus:-\

my hatch and wagon have done this before, just make sure and get a good connect on the batt posts and it works, on the Hatch this time, my ignition wires touched, melting them a bit, just seperated em and drove her home. got to fix it more perm. now. thank you guys , my car seems to do mysterious things, like its messin' with me or something?!

83 Wagon GL 4sp, D/R 167k

84 Hatch GL 4sp, D/R 145k

No power as in NO power when ignition switch is turned to On or Start ?

Don't stop at the battery post terminals. Follow the main power cables all the way to the other terminals; be sure to check them all as you go.

Check all fusible links. Again check both terminals and also follow it through the middle where it tends to fry out. Makre sure they aren't fried or corroding apart.

You've obviously checked all fuses ;)

My '91 Loyale did that to me a couple of times a year or two ago. Turn the key and literally no power, as in no idiot lights, no radio, no anything!! The first time I cleaned the battery posts, turned the key and still no power, turned the key again and everything worked as normal. Couple of days later, same thing: no power what so ever. Tore the steering column apart and started tracing wires from the ignition switch. I did find that one pin on the connector to the ignition switch had got hot and melted the plastic. Sorry, it's been a couple of years and I don't recall which pin, other than it was on a corner of the connector, I think. Perhaps it had some carbon that was not allowing continuity. Unfortunately, I can't say definitively, because when I repaired it and plugged it back in I still had no power. I left the key in the run position and started shaking and twisting wires and suddenly had power, and it hasn't done it to me since.