Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Short Throw 87 GL-10

Everyone must be getting tired of my 87 GL-10 questions...

but i was curious if anyone knew of a short throw kit that would be compatible with my car. any ideas?

thanks!!! :)

They definitely are out there.Whether it be homemade or kit,I know a few people have them.Brad in MA has one on his Loyale wagon,if the car is still together.

I have a short throw shifter in my wagon. I had an inch of rod added to the shifter between the ball at the bottom and the transmission linkage. I had to bend the metal up at the front part of the hole in the trans tunnel so it would clear, and I think I need to have the transmission linkage lengthened and bent upward a little, because it doesn't shift as smoothly as it used to.

i'm going to wait until after i put in the lift kit though, and see how the whole thing fits then, before i modify it any more.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother fabbed something up on his '93 Loyale wagon / '86 turbo motor car. Ill try to get ahold of him to ask about it. The throw is quite short, like only maybe 4" in the 1-2 direction. But the 1-3 direction is still long, but i dont know if there is much that can be done about it.

Maybe in a day or two i can have some info.

-matt

I have seen parts from an XT6 modified to make a short throw... worked really well but looked kinda funky as the shifter was slightly relocated.

My short shifter keeps the same degree of movement, but I just chopped 2 inches off the rod up top and put on a leather knob. Shortens the radius of where your hand has to move... though it still moves the same # of degrees.