Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AA lift and honda accord rear spring question..

TurboSPFI

So far I've heard of a few axles coming apart on people using the AA lift which increases the CV angle...

What about the accord springs? are they going to do this?

Whats the difference in lift between the two? I heard the springs give about 2" of stress on the CV's..

What bout the AA method of suspension lift?

i recently did the accord rear spring swap and it is impressive. the springs i got shipped to me were only like 1'' taller than the stock springs(compared springs off the struts) but since they are so much stiffer, the car only drops down like 1.5'' when you put the weight back on the tires. so you might want to take about an inch or so off them if you do that swap. as far as the lift eating cv's, its probably the 4'' lift huh? the 4'' comes with 4'' strut extensions and 3'' body lift blocks, which is an extra inch of angle on the cv's, thats where you get your problems, but remmeber cv axles are cheap at JY's, just grab a new one for like $15 or however much they are.

~Josh~

So far I've heard of a few axles coming apart on people using the AA lift which increases the CV angle...

What about the accord springs? are they going to do this?

Whats the difference in lift between the two? I heard the springs give about 2" of stress on the CV's..

What bout the AA method of suspension lift?

I am running the accord spring in the rear of mine and have not had any trouble since I bought the car in February. I have wheeled in it the mud and snow. No problems. I probably would not want much more stress then that on it tho. The axles have a changed angle but not that much. It's still within normal limits when the car is sitting flat.

one OR the other...period

The AA rear lift is 4 inch strut extensions in the back, with and adjustment that allows for up to another inch (don't do it if you're hardcore at all!), and ONE inch blocks under JUST the rear diff carrier mounts, which brings the stubs on the diff down just less than an inch.

The front has 3 inch blocks under the crossmember, leaving the front joints at very close to stock angles, but the rear end has big angles.

If you're going to lift it a couple inches, go with just accord springs, and adjustable front struts, you should get a healthy couple inches out of that combo. problem being that the accord springs are quite a bit stiffer, which hurts your suspension travel severly.

If you're gonna be doing some real offroading, get an AA lift, and leave it adjusted down all the way, and cut your fenders to fit ~27" tires. and carry an extra rear axle....or 2. He says he's put ___ miles on his test vehicle with no problems, but he must not hit stuff as gnarly as we did, cuz I, literally, blew up a rear DOJ, and dismantaled another.

of course, if you intend to drive it solely on the road, then, by all means, put both, and take advantage of a possible 7-8" of lift.

Chux you put your extensions all the way down :brow: thats some hard core for wheeling. I just keep mine at the 4" inch level. Ive done some serious 4 wheeling at the 4'' inch level and still haven't broke an axle. Hey have you got your bumper yet?

one OR the other...period

The AA rear lift is 4 inch strut extensions in the back, with and adjustment that allows for up to another inch (don't do it if you're hardcore at all!), and ONE inch blocks under JUST the rear diff carrier mounts, which brings the stubs on the diff down just less than an inch.

The front has 3 inch blocks under the crossmember, leaving the front joints at very close to stock angles, but the rear end has big angles.

If you're going to lift it a couple inches, go with just accord springs, and adjustable front struts, you should get a healthy couple inches out of that combo. problem being that the accord springs are quite a bit stiffer, which hurts your suspension travel severly.

If you're gonna be doing some real offroading, get an AA lift, and leave it adjusted down all the way, and cut your fenders to fit ~27" tires. and carry an extra rear axle....or 2. He says he's put ___ miles on his test vehicle with no problems, but he must not hit stuff as gnarly as we did, cuz I, literally, blew up a rear DOJ, and dismantaled another.

of course, if you intend to drive it solely on the road, then, by all means, put both, and take advantage of a possible 7-8" of lift.

Chux you put your extensions all the way down :brow: thats some hard core for wheeling. I just keep mine at the 4" inch level. Ive done some serious 4 wheeling at the 4'' inch level and still haven't broke an axle. Hey have you got your bumper yet?

So the rear, bottom, strut extensions are adjustable? Beyond 4" of extension?

So the rear, bottom, strut extensions are adjustable? Beyond 4" of extension?

yep, here's a pic of it all the way down, a few days before we left, I put on the adjustable fronts (couldn't get the rears off the parts car), and adjusted them up a bit less than an inch, and then adjusted the blocks in the back to match.

3242PICT0129.JPG

see at the bottom of the block, there's a nut welded to it, and that joint actually unscrews out of the lift, I only had mine out about 1/2-3/4 inch (turns out to be a bit more on the side that broke...). I'll be putting them back down before I do anything else like that!

The advantage of having 7-8" of lift for onroad only is what ?

I don't know...really...not for me, but it would look pretty cool now wouldn't it?

i really dont like the looks of that AA lift personally.. as far as my suspension being much stiffer.. thats ok, i haul hundreds of pounds every morning for 45-50 miles... the stock springs just arent enough..

For hauling weight all you would need is the Accord struts.