Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bendin stuff!

SakoTGrimes

So my stepdad keeps telling my that my car is not a Jeep (duh, it still runs) and that if I offroad it a bunch I will bend the unibody. Do we really need to worry about this happening, and if it does, would it really screw the car up that bad anyway? I dunno, that why me ask

i have fed alot of hp, with big tires to my subaru. i have noticed a couple seems around the front strut towers pulling apart a bit, but im not worried about it. i think the windshield would crack if i was bending the body that bad, right?

tell him to look at the stinkin cherokees, they have unibodies, and you can run circles around those dorks.

People don't give credit to how durable or capable these vehicles are. It's understandable; they are used to crappy American econo boxes that fall apart if you close the door to hard or hit a pot hole instead of swerving around it. Like the Aries, Shadow, or Cavalier.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38033&page=2

Look at the pictures of my rust holes in this thing. Then look at how hard I offroad it. The unibody is holding fine. It still goes straight down the freeway at 80mph. Will it last forever? No; and neither will a Jeep XJ unibody cherokee! :lol: Yet people wheel the piss out of them. There are lots of beefed up XJ's here in MN. There are lots of beefed up Subarus around the world.

She'll hold!

He's correct, your subaru isn't a jeep, your subaru is better than a jeep :drunk:

I've done some pretty harsh stuff to my roo... nothing's come of it.. besides the normal stuff that happens when you get large rocks stuck in moving parts :rolleyes:

I think Jumping will probably take it's toll over time...

However the body on these babies are solid.

I've sawed them in half and cut them in two, down the middle lengthwise.

They are a whole lot more solid than you'd think.

If you don't have any major rust issues...

I'd think your Subie will take some punishment with out hurting the integrity of the unibody.

However...once you tweek your unibody the car would develop major handling and suspension problems. It would screw the car up big time!

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I'll need to do a lot more mild mudding and trail riding before I get cocky enough to make all 4 wheels leave the ground. Only 2 at a time for now

Good plan. Get your rig trail ready, put some miles on it offroad doing some easy trails, and go from there. Learn how wide your vehicle is, how long it is, what you can and can't do.

You wont be bending anything irreplacable! :lol:

The other day I took my lady's little brother wheelin' n John's Peak - see: "took the Loyale 4wheeling... for real this time" - I was amazed how well my car did. At one point I got a little lost and thought "Hey, I think this trail goes back to the one we want to be on!" Well, that trail apparantly hadn't been used in about 10 years or so and contained a fallen tree, but Darth Soob (temporary name) went through it just fine. The next day I washed it and got about 3 pounds of mud from above the front skidplate... all of it from the previous day. Getting sideways in mud is a blast

my friend filmed me jumping my soob about 20 feet across the ground over some train tracks. It was #^%#$ scary. But wow.... didn't even bottom out the suspension.

I've got the perfect tracks for that in Tucson... I jump them 80% of the time I go over them. 62mph is perfect.. smoother than goin 10mph over them.. I'll get pics and vids when I get a chance! I've jumped the legacy in a few other spots.. One was REAL scary I thought I was gonna hit the next up and flip end over end... doin about 80... but I dropped.. perfect in the bottom of the wash.. all 4 tires .. didnt bottom out.. I was thrilled. JUMP YOUR ROO! They like it.