Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the price on the Tribeca is reasonable, the car IS as good or better than upscale rides. Subaru has shifted it's demographic, get used to it. Just because Subaru once was known for economy cars doesn't mean they are tagged to that role forever. Saying that a pricetag is too high for a Subaru is to suggest that the quality and features are somehow diminished by the nameplate. Car manufacturers do change demographics and customer bases. Look at hyundai, they did it, so did VW (big time), Subaru did, and there will always be an upcomer to fill the economy market. I believe that the next economy car will be the Cherry line imported by Malcom Bricklen the same guy who brought in the 360 and launched Subaru in the US. Give it 15~20 years and Cherrys will be upscale and something else will be economy.

Subaru has maintained it's core qualities and built on them to a whole new level. I am glad to see them move up market and produce cars with more features and performance. When Subaru know how is applied to the next level they get a hell of a result, such as the STI. I want to see them apply that know how to a mid engine, 6cyl STI tuned with 6spd AWD, composite body and a space frame, a 150k plus supercar killer for the price of a vette.

Shawn brings up a good point,

I kinda thought the mid 70's Subarus were ugly--Sorry Moosens

As far as that goes the late 70's Subarus were ugly too--I now accept/like them.

I also don't like the early 90's Subarus--still don't like them.

Subaru has not been real consistent with clearly good looking cars.

Back on point...I have not seen a Trebeca on the street yet...and this is a Subaru town!!! :eek:

There is at least one owner on this board but they have not fessed up yet...! :cool:

Subaru has always been unique, not neccessarily "good looking". Looks are the eye of the beholder, as we Brat owners have some to understand.

I like the uniqueness of the 05' outback wagons, however i'm not yet sold on the Tribeca.

Of course the Baja disgusts me, even though it is unique.

Sweet 82 is right. with 11,000 members, there has got to be a tribeca owner somewhere.

Come out, Come out wherever you are - we won't hurt you - we just want to talk...

:-)

Kurt

Yes please come out and play. There are some of us who like the looks of the B9. If you have seen my car then you can tell I'm not hung up on cosmetics anyway. Really if I wanted a sharp looking car then I would have bought an Audi or a Volvo or a Magnum. I think B9 is a step in the right direction to keep Subaru competitive in the market. Its time we hear how these things drive and feel.

d.

Okay, it's got a boxer engine, but it doesn't have frameless doors? It's not a Subaru.

Just like the Cayenne is not a Porsche.

Isn't this the honest-to-God truth???

I like Subaru because they AREN'T upmarket. I honestly don't like upmarket cars, because most upmarket cars are bland and boring, built solely for the interest of profit and not enthusiasm, and most people that drive them are rich poseur @$$holes. If Subaru suceeds in going upmarket, this demographic that I just described will now apply to Subaru when it didn't before, and I feel that the die-hard Subaru fans who loved them for their economy and durability will be left out in the cold.

If Subaru suceeds in going upmarket, this demographic that I just described will now apply to Subaru when it didn't before, and I feel that the die-hard Subaru fans who loved them for their economy and durability will be left out in the cold.

What's wrong with going after an upmarket crowd? Who do you think subaru was targeting when they were selling outback LL bean's for the past few years?

Here's a better way to look at it...if subaru succeeds in penetrating the "upmarket" demographic, then more profits will roll in and insure that they provide a complete line of cars for their core constituents. Companies like GM, FOrd, Toyota, Honda, etc all sell high-end cars, but also sell the entry level economy cars. When Honda started Acura, they didn't suddenly drop the civic.

If subaru only sold Brat's and GL's for the past 30 years, do you think they would still be in business today? Having a niche market is great. But unless you have growth, the company is doomed. The car I'm shopping for today is different than the car I was shopping for 5 years ago, vs that of 10 and 15 years ago.

Great point, that is what almost killed Subaru in the late 80's early 90's. Moving up market saved them. I would like to see them create a spin off brand and keep more of the economy cars but I don't know that they are large enough. I do disagree with subyluvr2212's assertion that people who can buy nicer cars are all #ssholes. Just because someone makes more or less than you doesn't make them any worse or better than you. The guy riding the bus to school or work probably has some choice words for you sitting in your car. I like to see Subaru durability and knowhow applied to nicer cars to achieve the incredible results that they do. Every STI owner that I know to include myself is very much a hard core enthusiast and the majority are old school fans as well. And I gurantee if Subaru produced a 60k plus super car that the folks who buy it would be as well. Trust me there is not much love for Subaru by the pretentious crowd, buying an expensive Subaru doesn't get you any kind of poser respect like allot of names. You can prove to someone that the STI flat out dominates their car and they will dismiss it as "still just a Subaru" and consider it no better than the mail ladie's 91 GL.

Another review of the Tribeca from The Detroit News:

In a sea of SUVs, awkward Tribeca fails to impress

Styling, confusing name, lack of space hurt Subaru

By Anita Lienert and Paul Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

ANN ARBOR -- The supersized B9 Tribeca -- the biggest and most expensive Subaru ever -- couldn't catch the attention of the 2005 Detroit News Consumer Panel.

As the panelists toured the North American International Auto Show in January, they hurried past the seven-passenger Tribeca, with its bizarre styling and ambiguous shape. They seemed distracted by other people movers, from the Kia Mesa concept to the new Pontiac Torrent, and no amount of coaxing could get them on the Subaru stand.

"I'd rather see the Saturns," said panelist Viola King, 37, a Detroit attorney. And that is the main concern about the new Subaru flagship, which the company is positioning against such products as the Volvo XC90 and the Lexus RX 330.

In the real world, the wagonlike Tribeca also knocks heads with such domestic competitors as the Chrysler Pacifica and the Buick Rendezvous. Therein lies the rub for Subaru: In a sea of sport utility and crossover vehicles, the Tribeca is struggling to catch the eye of consumers, who are confused by its styling as well as its name.

Subaru refers to the Tribeca as a "progressive SUV." We think it looks more like a minivan masquerading as an SUV. And the name? The B9 appellation was lifted from a concept roadster that Subaru displayed at the 2003 Tokyo show, providing the first glimpse of the brand's new styling direction. And TriBeCa is a hip Manhattan neighborhood near Canal Street on the city's lower west side. The name stands for "Triangle Below Canal."

Assembled in Lafayette, Ind., the B9 Tribeca is on sale now at a starting price for the five-passenger model of $31,320, including destination. The base seven-passenger model starts at $33,020.

We drove several pre-production prototypes in Michigan and California, but spent the bulk of our time -- seven days -- in a top-of-the-line, seven-passenger B9 Tribeca Limited with no options and a lofty $38,320 sticker price.

Grades from us in individual categories were all over the map. The Tribeca received high marks for its standard all-wheel drive and for the gutsy cabin, with its striking three-tone color scheme and unusual mix of matte- and bright-metal finishes.

We gave the vehicle low scores for seating comfort in the second and third rows, both of which are just too cramped for most adults, as well as limited cargo space -- so limited that we were unable to completely stow a week's worth of groceries for two people.

In terms of driving dynamics, the Tribeca performs well enough. It handles more like a tall wagon than a van, and feels extremely comfortable, even on rough roads.

The ride quality is enhanced by a wider track and a generous wheelbase that's 3 inches longer than on the Outback. Standard 18-inch wheels and Goodyear Eagle tires also contribute to ride comfort, and a thicker stabilizer bar helps compensate for the vehicle's taller height, minimizing body lean in corners.

The Tribeca is easy to park in tight spaces, although we encountered some serious visibility problems both in front, with the massive windshield pillars, and in the rear, from the wide D-pillars.

We found the steering and four-wheel disc brakes to be quite responsive. The engine, a twin-cam 3.0-liter opposed six-cylinder that is also shared with the Legacy/Outback range, delivers 250 horsepower and 219 pounds-feet of torque.

The Tribeca is considerably heavier than the Outback, and with two adults on board, the flat-six engine sounds and feels like it's working hard to keep up. A standard five-speed Tiptronic-style automatic transmission, with manual-shift capability, seems well-suited to the engine's torque characteristics and provides decent efficiency. The EPA rates the combination at a respectable 18 miles per gallon in city driving and 23 on the highway -- not bad for a seven-passenger people mover with all-wheel drive.

We had mixed emotions about the cabin. The interior is just as striking as the exterior, and is definitely not minivan-mainstream. The curvy, swoopy cockpit reminded us of such Nissan designs as the Murano and the Quest in terms of individuality and personality. We also appreciated all of the storage bins and nooks throughout the vehicle.

A rear-seat DVD entertainment system is also a welcome feature for families with small children. We were perturbed by the lack of such amenities as adjustable pedals and a power liftgate that can be found on a number of competitors. These are glaring oversights, particularly on a $38,000-plus vehicle that aspires to premium status.

There are minor annoyances as well. The shift lever blocks some of the key climate controls, including mode and air conditioning switches. There is no weather band on the radio, as there is on other Subaru models. The front passenger seat doesn't fold flat.

The more important issue, however, is one of space and access. The third row is extremely difficult to climb in and out of, and there is an acute shortage of leg room in both the second and third rows. For a vehicle that's aimed squarely at families, this is probably the Tribeca's cardinal sin.

Rick Crosson, Subaru of America's vice president of marketing, says the Tribeca's target audience comprises "inspired pragmatists -- practical people who desire simplicity and have a strong sense of community, a clear sense of identity and like to experiment in the kitchen."

Hopefully, they won't need as much people- and cargo-carrying space -- or they'll be sorely disappointed by the B9 Tribeca.

Fortunately for Subaru, there is an almost cultlike following of fans of the Japanese marque. Many of them appreciate cutting-edge designs and may be looking for just a bit more space than offered by the Forester crossover vehicle and the Legacy and Outback sedans and wagons.

For them, the B9 Tribeca could carve out a whole new niche as the un-SUV they've been waiting for.

~Howard

:lol:

Another article from The New York Times:

July 22, 2005

What's Under Tribeca's Hood? Yes, the Battery

By CLYDE HABERMAN

BID farewell to Park Avenue - it's so last decade - and say hi to TriBeCa, the embodiment of the urban, the sophisticated and the hip. Those last words are borrowed. More on that in a moment.

In case you were wondering, we are not referring here to New York neighborhoods. This is car talk.

For 14 years, Buick has produced a model called the Park Avenue, once described by a company official as "our flagship sedan," with a name that "means luxury." Certainly, Park Avenue the street holds its own. But Park Avenue the car is about to go the way of another venerable model, the Chrysler New Yorker, which purred its last in 1996 after a remarkable 57-year run.

Come October, the Park Avenue is "gone for good," said Cathleen O'Hare, a Buick spokeswoman in Detroit. "It's had a pretty long run."

So why did it run out of gas, with monthly sales these days bumping along in the low three digits? "There was nothing wrong with it," Ms. O'Hare said, quick to dispel any suspicion of sudden anti-New York bias. "You know, you turn a corner in styling and new architecture."

Maybe the Park Avenue acquired the musty air of too many yesterdays. That's what happened to the Chrysler New Yorker. By the end, an editor at AutoWeek magazine said in 1996, it had become "known as a car for PODS - poor old dumb slobs."

Ah, but now there is TriBeCa to fill the New York car void. To be more accurate, we have the B9 Tribeca, a new sport utility vehicle from Subaru.

This Tribeca comes without the internal capital letters signifying that the name is short for Triangle Below Canal. (B9, by the way, is not a vitamin. The B refers to the vehicle's horizontally opposed "Boxer" engine, a phrase we lifted straight from a Subaru news release. Being both carless and clueless, we don't understand a word of this. The number 9 is the model series.)

Why Tribeca? Because focus groups liked it best among 15 possibilities that were considered, said Lisa Fleming, a spokeswoman for Subaru of America. "Tribeca," she said, "really resonated with them," its name suggesting - here come the magic words - "urban, sophisticated and hip."

Similar points were made in Tokyo by officials of Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company. TriBeCa is not particularly well known in Japan. Nonetheless, the name, rendered Toraibekka in Japan, has managed to grace a restaurant, a jazz lounge, a pool hall and a racehorse.

Subaru, it seems, now wants to sell more S.U.V.'s to big-city types, expanding its base beyond the kind of people who schlep through the snows of New Hampshire or the mud of the Pacific Northwest. Rakishly styled, the B9 Tribeca has pizazz. "It's a progressive S.U.V.," Ms. Fleming said.

No question, most New Yorkers like to think of themselves as progressive.

THIS city can hardly be considered friendly to cars, let alone S.U.V.'s. But that has not stopped the auto industry from turning to New York for inspiration.

"We can probably say that it's the most represented city in automobile namedom," said Beverly Rae Kimes, an automotive historian from Manhattan. Since the early days of the last century, car models have borne New York-associated names that include, to list but a few, Yorkville, Bryant, El Morocco, Belmont, Fifth Avenue, Manhattan and Gotham.

It makes sense, said Mark Patrick, curator of the National Automotive History Collection at the Detroit Public Library. "Those names all speak to success and power, and that attracts people," he said.

Will the B9 Tribeca cast a similar spell? Not every expert would bet on it.

"This is a dangerous name for a car," said G. Clotaire Rapaille, a consultant who advises Detroit on consumer likes and dislikes. Yes, the New York label "can be attractive - it represents sophistication," Mr. Rapaille said. But for many Americans, "there is at the same time this fear about this very, very strange world."

That may be so, said Bob Gritzinger, a senior editor at AutoWeek. "But as a general rule, if a vehicle is good, it will get past the name," he said. "Unless they're familiar with it, people aren't going to connect it with New York."

Dutch Mandel, AutoWeek's editor and associate publisher, had doubts of his own about the benefits of the name for Subaru.

O.K., let's cut to the chase. With so many New York bashers out there, is it possible that a Manhattan label might even amount to a marketing kiss of death?

"I don't think so," Mr. Mandel said. "Unless, of course, you were to call it the Trump."

~Howard

:banana:

I do disagree with subyluvr2212's assertion that people who can buy nicer cars are all #ssholes. Just because someone makes more or less than you doesn't make them any worse or better than you.

I do have to point out that you're putting words in my mouth here as I said most, not all. On a very rare occasion, I do see some people of wealth who still have the enthusiasm to buy such cars because of how enjoyable they are to drive, not how much they can show off to their neighbors. But the latter point still applies in most cases.

Every STI owner that I know to include myself is very much a hard core enthusiast and the majority are old school fans as well.

I'm glad you live in such an area, because this is entirely UNTRUE in mine. 90% of the WRX/STi crowd in my area have no idea what Subaru made before the WRX and they couldn't care less. I refuse to attend local Subaru meets anymore because I'm flat out ignored.

What I still have yet to receive in all this is a GOOD reason for Subaru wanting to do this. Subaru has never been in better shape than they are now, just look at the current lineup and sales figures. The WRX completely transformed Subaru in this country, and upscale luxury had nothing to do with it. I don't know who in FHI or SOA is so greedy, but I hope they get canned.

As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

What I still have yet to receive in all this is a GOOD reason for Subaru wanting to do this. Subaru has never been in better shape than they are now, just look at the current lineup and sales figures. The WRX completely transformed Subaru in this country, and upscale luxury had nothing to do with it. I don't know who in FHI or SOA is so greedy, but I hope they get canned.

As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

I don't know what happens in the board room of subaru, but if you want a good reason of why subaru is releasing the tribeca, it's called GROWTH. In fact you even give a good example of it- the introduction of the WRX/STi in the US. Sure the Outback and the Forester were selling well. Why do we need to bring in YET another variant of the impreza line?? The impreza wasn't "BROKE" so why did SOA try to "fix it" with an STi??

The bottom line is this- if a company doesn't have growth, it doesn't have a future. If you stand still and do the same thing (follow the mantra of if it aint broke dont fix it), everyone else will pass you. Subaru is already seeing this when families outgrow the outback and the forester and move over to bigger SUV's and minivans. I don't think the move is for pure profits... afterall the tribeca is competively priced.

I refuse to attend local Subaru meets anymore because I'm flat out ignored.

IT sounds like you have more of an issue of feeling left out of the modern Subaru culture and you are using the tribeca as a sounding board for your frustration.

Watts and South Central LA should be bulldozed over, After a nuclear bomb. thats about the only way it would improve.

TriBeCa = Triangle Below Canal. Area south of Canal street in Lower Manhattan. Site of old business and warehouse district that, starting in the late 1970s/early 80s, became a settlement area of choice for young professionals seeking to be close to the financial district. More here. Suffice to say; "what a difference a generation makes."

So the name symbolizes renewal and gentrification out of decay. If the City of LA can manage similar regeneration in Watts or South Central who is to say what will happen a generation hence?

Ok, I'm jumpin in,

Firstly....

Shawn... and others that think the XT is ugly/fugly... you guys suck, I hate you!:-p Second, the airplane theme.. think of the XT, hell any high dollar(inflation) Subaru in the past, all airplaney. XT's pods, SVX'es SVXness.... Actually when I first saw pics of this B9 I almost threw up.. BLEH! Then I was waiting in a dealer for the new parts guy to tell me my car doesnt come up in the system... wait maybe I was having my sweet STi key cut that wasn't ever going to work in my car.....but does:banana: either way I was stuck looking at this thing for a bit of time and I kinda like the look... really. The back end is euro Alfa.. kinda neat, almost like a built in spoiler, the inside is real cool and the front... well it needs love. I think though what really NEEDS to happen is to get rid of the CHROME! This isn't a 1990 Ford Crown Victoria... it doesnt need more Chrome to make it "fancy". I think if they made the trim body color or black, then made the grill fins black the carthing would look like 10 times better.

Wow, so much of this thread is so BOOOOOOOGUS! I'm in with the crew that says the Benign Trybecka is the uglyiest creation ever by subaru.

As for what Shawn said ealier, that it shouldn't matter so much what it looks like, its still a Subaru and is super dooper reliable - Horse$hit. I've been a victim of Subaru's DOHC Head gasket defect denial. I got so jambed financially by it that I strangely was roped into buying yet another Subaru, because subaru dealer was the only place I could get a trade in value for the car with a blown HG. It turns out the SOHC engine are having HG failures now too! Fix the goddamn engine flaw already, fess up to it and recover your customers.

Subaru doesn't have $hit to be proud of lately for reliability. The last reliable engines they made were the 2.2L and the 1.8L. They did okay on looks with the Outbacks, the Imprezas and the newest Forester, but this hideous peice of phlegm they're hocking now eliminates "good looks" as a reason to buy it.

As far as I can see, the only thing Subaru has going for it right now is the AWD, and others are catching up to them on that front too. I'm dumping my meticulously cared for 2004 OB when it hits 55-59 k miles, because I don't trust it to reliably go much further. It's at 25K now, and seems like new, but then why shouldn't it, it practically is. My neighbor's 2001 OB had the head gaskets replaced at 74,000, and got no F************ing help from SOA. Screw them. I'll be looking elsewhere for my next car if Subaru doesn't get it's act together by then. Perhaps Mazda will come out with an AWD version of thier 6 wagon. If not, and Subaru still thinks it can get $25k for it's base OBW(I paid $19,500 for my 04, brand new) I'm sure I'll have a lot of choices for not much more. Hell and Audi A4 Avant wagon only cost $27-29. Subaru has lost it's collective mind. I hope they lose their collective rump roast on the new ugly car, their new "up market" approach, and their strategy of not standing by their customers when their products turn out to be seriously flawed.

-Bushels of sour grapes here.

I don't know what happens in the board room of subaru, but if you want a good reason of why subaru is releasing the tribeca, it's called GROWTH. In fact you even give a good example of it- the introduction of the WRX/STi in the US. Sure the Outback and the Forester were selling well. Why do we need to bring in YET another variant of the impreza line?? The impreza wasn't "BROKE" so why did SOA try to "fix it" with an STi??

The bottom line is this- if a company doesn't have growth, it doesn't have a future. If you stand still and do the same thing (follow the mantra of if it aint broke dont fix it), everyone else will pass you. Subaru is already seeing this when families outgrow the outback and the forester and move over to bigger SUV's and minivans. I don't think the move is for pure profits... afterall the tribeca is competively priced.

IT sounds like you have more of an issue of feeling left out of the modern Subaru culture and you are using the tribeca as a sounding board for your frustration.

You make an excellent point, sconnyite. Regardless of how any of us feel about the Tribeca design, Subaru, in its attempt to move "upscale," seems to have turned its back on the core values that made us love the car. That and their basic dishonesty in not facing up to the whole headgasket issue do not bode well for the brand's future--at least in my opinion.

But if they plant sour grapes, that's just what they'll harvest.

Do they have the right to do what they're doing? Sure. Do I have a right to look elsewhere for my next car? Sure! Unfortunately it's a dilemma I wish I didn't have to face.

Sconnyite, I have a Outback Wagon from 1997. It also blow a gasket. We fixed it for about 1,500. Now that sounds like alot. But the car is still running on 100,000 miles later with no probs. If you look at it that way its not realy that bad. I think you have some anger problems. You cant drive a car without something braking in it. The B9 is fine looking, and the price is rite from base to fullyloaded.

over 170,000 miles and only one problem. Not that bad.

well, the wife wants to trade in the outback for a tribeca... personally i think the 5 seater version would suit us great.. the H6 engines are extremely reliable and are smooth. i would however have to get over the grill, lol.. kids would love the dvd player and it has to be safe with all the safety features it has.

as far as price goes, quit moaning, the 94' SVX i had had a original window sticker price of $35K and that was in 1994'

so the tribecas price is not that bad in the grand scheme of things.. Have you ever priced a new VDC outback? they are close to 30K also..

as for me i'll still continue to drive my old 86' wagon and be happy.. it fits my lifesytle and needs just fine..

as for headgaskets get over it, alot of other cars blow headgaskets and thier manufacturer's deal with it the same way.. off the top of my head, dodge neons blow headgaskets at about the same rate as subaru's 2.5's..

gm 3.1 and 3.5 engines blow intake manifold gaskets at 60-80k miles, most of fords suv's burn brakes like once a year.. you think those people are happy when they get a $1400 bill to fix an intake gasket, or have an $600 brake job every year? prolly not..

we've been happy with our 99' outback.. paid $1000 for it with a blown motor, put a 2.2 in it and its not once given us any other problems.. so for about $1400 we got a nice car :-p that i can work on myself....