Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who here owns a Trebeca...be honest...we'll find out eventually.

No you won't be kicked off the board...well...you might be restricted a bit :rolleyes:

Ya...we have raked them over the coles but fess up and tell us your impressions so far...

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vickaroo

I dont have one, BUTTTTTtttttt I sure would like to!!!! I LOVE the looks and well with it being a Subaru how can you go wrong???? Tim dosnt like them,(he likes the inside) just not the body... Me I like the whole thing!!!!! Vicky

I dont have one, BUTTTTTtttttt I sure would like to!!!! I LOVE the looks and well with it being a Subaru how can you go wrong????...

UUUUHHHGGG! Well no accounting for taste... ;) what is it again that you drive at work??? Big, yellow and boxy, isn't it? :lol:

Nit: Tribeca...

Tri-Borough Economic Area, IIRC. Nothing like trying to make a high-falutin' Brand out of an old warehouse area. What's next??? Some fancy brand named after Watts or the South Side? US consumers are gullible.

Oh, and is that brand new Saab SUV a Tribeca in Saab clothing?

Nit: Tribeca...

Tri-Borough Economic Area, IIRC. Nothing like trying to make a high-falutin' Brand out of an old warehouse area. What's next??? Some fancy brand named after Watts or the South Side? US consumers are gullible.

TriBeCa = Triangle Below Canal. Area south of Canal street in Lower Manhattan. Site of old business and warehouse district that, starting in the late 1970s/early 80s, became a settlement area of choice for young professionals seeking to be close to the financial district. More here. Suffice to say; "what a difference a generation makes."

So the name symbolizes renewal and gentrification out of decay. If the City of LA can manage similar regeneration in Watts or South Central who is to say what will happen a generation hence?

24 Hour Test Drive!!!

Well I got this in my email and I might just take it for a spin! What do I have to lose?

top24.jpg

c.giftribeca.jpgc.gif

Others may give you 24 minutes, but we give you 24 hours. Get to know the new Subaru B9 Tribeca during the Subaru 24 hour test drive.* You can do a lot in 24 hours. Take it to the museum, the supermarket, or just a joy-ride on the highway. It's up to you.

Take 24 hours. Discover how the new Subaru B9 Tribeca can fit your lifestyle. c.gifc.gifc.gif

Asked politely at my local dealer and was told sales are very disappointing...

Same at my dealer. They like the interior and the fit n' finish, but can't stand the front end. The ones I saw them get in the first day are mostly still there and haven't moved.

I hope it is a horrific marketplace failure and is killed for 07. I hope the Impreza sales drop off considerably for 06 too.

Is it really about the looks for this many of you? A Subaru is more about reliability, performance and features than looks since day one. This one seems to fill a void in the Subaru lineup. The grill is not that special, its shape is showing up on more vehicles than just Subaru's and isn't that terrible.

The XT was ugly, the brat ugly, the justy ugly........whats new?!?!!?!?! I like em still but what they look to me is SUPERIOR to other cars.

I think it's just too expensive for a Subaru. I read a review in The Wall Street Journal last week. This car is almost $40,000 ! That much for a Subaru ? Someone at FHI is NUTS !

The name is bad too. B9 Tribeca ? B9.....sounds like a plane the USAF would buy.

The front isn't too bad but it might take some getting used to.

~Howard

:D

The XT was ugly, the brat ugly, the justy ugly........whats new?!?!!?!?! I like em still but what they look to me is SUPERIOR to other cars.

Shawn how can you say the Brat was ugly! I personally think they look kinda cool,but for the price....I also don't like the letter number choice.It sounds to much like benign.Dave

Personally I think the styling looks great, only not on that car...The R1 and R2 look awesome with that front end, but they're minicars.

Also, the Tribeca is only planned for North American markets. If it lasts 'til '08 I'll be surprised.

I think it's just too expensive for a Subaru. I read a review in The Wall Street Journal last week. This car is almost $40,000 ! That much for a Subaru ? Someone at FHI is NUTS !

The name is bad too. B9 Tribeca ? B9.....sounds like a plane the USAF would buy.

The front isn't too bad but it might take some getting used to.

~Howard

:D

PS: If anyone wants a copy of the WSJ article, please PM me and give me your e-mail address. I might be able to e-mail a copy.

This touches on the reason the upscale Nissan, Honda and Toyota models are sold under different banners here in the States (Infiniti, Acura, Lexus). Perception. They realized folks would have a problem paying $40k for a Honda (In '78 Honda sold the cheapest car sold in the US, $3000 - I bought one! ) so they created an upscale flag to sell 'em under. If Subaru wants to pursue the 'on-star - navigation - popcorn-and-movie - living room on wheels' business, they should've done the same and created a new line name.

Rumor at my closest dealership is that they are selling well.

Carl

I have looked the B9 a couple times. The mlodel I was looking at was starting at 33,000. Full leather. I also talked with the manager for a while.

I expressed my annoyance at the front end "saab" styling (and mentioned the Saab / impreza failure) and explained to him that many of the die hards were dissapointed at the three panel grill.

He then explained the me the it was NOT a Saab three panel, it is intended to be a indication of flight. The center peice being the fuselage and the two outer peices being swept back wings. According to him, this is Fuji attempting to go back to thier roots as a airplane manufacturer. In addition the interior is designed to be like a cockpit, and any of you who have been in one knows what I mean.

I'm not sure if I buy it, but the grill is different enough from Saab to be an "airplane". He also added that "I better get used to it because all the models are going to that grill in the coming model years"

Hmmmm.

Overall, I liked the Tribeca. Unlike the Baja, it was not advertised as something useful then produced differently. It is a straight forward challenge to Lexus, Volvo, BMW and Nissan. I think it is well designed and with the H6, well powered. I'm not sure I would buy one due to price, but I do like the "premier" model. My only caveat - I did not drive it. I have no idea how it handles.

Kurt

Is it really about the looks for this many of you? A Subaru is more about reliability, performance and features than looks since day one. This one seems to fill a void in the Subaru lineup. The grill is not that special, its shape is showing up on more vehicles than just Subaru's and isn't that terrible.

I agree 100%.

As far as the price, I've heard people complain that the $38k price tag is too high. You have to realize that for that price you get 3 rows, NAV, DVD, side curtain airbags, on and on..... THe only Highlander that has those features is the hybrid limited costing around $43 (granted it comes with a hybrid engine). You can't get a Pilot with all those features. If you look at minivans, the Sienna XLE limited AWD is in the low 40's. THe Odyssey touring W/O AWD is in the upper 30's. Now you start looking at the Lexus and Infinitis and BMW's. Granted those cars are in another class, but they also cost more too.

Don;t forget you can get a well equiped car in the low 30's making them competive with some of these other suv's. And hearing the reports that the B9 is not selling well means you might get some leverage when bargaining on this car.

I looked at one, and if I had the money it would probably be a second car for me without hesitation (if it developed some hesitation, i'm sure a can of Seafoam would fix it right up. . .). As for the exterior styling: That is not what I buy a Subaru for. I look at what is underneath the skin, and decide based on that. The drivers seating position (in relation to the pedals) also makes it an excelent choiuce for my ex wife, who could really use a good reliable car. she has these really short legs that mean that she is shoved into the steering wheel on alost all sedans. Minivans are fine for her as she sits above the pedals instead of behind them. Now my greatest complaint with the B9 is that it does not have the option of coming with a manual transmission. I do not trust automatics to last (and any car I buy has to last), so the restriction to only automatics is worrisome to me. I feel that this is the mistake they made with the SVX that killed it . Granted the auto trannies have improved over the years, but I do not like being locked into one. If they even made a manual transmission available as a special order item (you have to special order the car), I would be happier. As for how it handles? Well it is a Subaru, but it is also a very large car, built for luxury. It would handle better than a lot of the luxury SUV/Minivans out there, but it would not be in a class with the STI, or even the Outback on that field. That is not what it is built for. For what its intended market, it is a fine vehicle, and I can find only the one complaint with it (that being the transmission limitation)

Article from The Wall Street Journal follows:

DRIVE BUYS

Family Values, Subaru-Style

By JONATHAN WELSH, Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

July 15, 2005; Page W11C

Back in the 1970s, Subaru was ahead of the curve, hawking four-wheel-drive cars long before the rest of the industry. And by the mid-1990s, when big, gas-guzzling SUVs were all the rage, it was pushing its "sport-utility wagon," the Outback, as an alternative.

But now the Japanese car maker seems to be following the crowd. With family haulers getting ever larger, the company is rolling out one of its own, the B9 Tribeca. The new seven-passenger "crossover" vehicle (that's a truck body combined with a car's chassis) is the latest attempt to blend the qualities that people like about SUVs with those they like about cars.

The Tribeca is one of about 35 SUVs and crossovers that offer third-row seating -- a selling point for many car makers, but a trend we don't care for.

The Subaru's cramped, ill-conceived third row, for example, reminds us of the back seat of a tiny Porsche Carrera.

Putting It to the Test

Still, with prime road-trip (and family-hauling) season here, we wanted to see how the B9 compares with its growing field of competitors. To do that, we spent a week with one, hauling things from groceries to a couple of bicycles.

Before we go further, we have to say that we found the Tribeca about the strangest-looking vehicle we've seen since Ford's Edsel, with a sort of keyhole grille flanked by tapered horizontal openings that look like whiskers.

But while driving it we kept meeting people who found it handsome. So perhaps its styling will turn out to be an advantage -- but we find that hard to imagine.

The interior is nice, if you keep the rearmost seat folded down. In that configuration, the B9 has lots of room behind the second-row seats, which slide back and forth to adjust legroom -- a rare feature and a treat for backseat passengers. Sliding that seat all the way back, however, requires an awkard manipulation of two levers, a safety feature meant to protect the ankles of any third-row occupants. But we were a little annoyed that we had to use the safety measure, even when the third-row was folded down.

Kid-Friendly?

More seat gripes: The second-row seatback on the right side folds forward for access to those third-row seats. This kept us from mounting our child seat in the middle of the second row -- where it belongs -- because it interfered with the folding. The five-passenger version of the Tribeca (with no third row) is a more realistic configuration, saving hassles as well as money. (It's $30,695, compared with our tester's $33,895 sticker.)

The Tribeca drives a lot like the Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle and other seven-passenger SUVs. It rides smoothly on long stretches of highway, but isn't much fun to drive in town or on twisty back roads. We found its steering not nearly sharp enough, giving us little feel for the road. Next to other Subarus -- such as the nimble Legacy GT wagon -- it feels slow and ponderous.

The Tribeca's six-cylinder engine puts out 250 horsepower, the same as the Legacy GT, but the SUV outweighs the wagon by about 800 pounds, putting what seems to be an undue strain on those 250 horses. And while some of Subaru's less-powerful models, like the 1998 Impreza wagon we own, are peppy and fun to drive, that's not the case here.

By the end of our stint with the Tribeca, we couldn't find anything that set it above, or even apart from, other vehicles in its class. The new SUV is an OK design that performed the usual tasks well, but no better than others we have driven in the past few years. And that's a disappointment from a company once known for hatching trend-setters.

Write to Jonathan Welsh at jonathan.welsh@wsj.com

~Howard

:cool:

Not about the looks, it is that the third row seating sucks. I have had many customer have to leave the Subaru family cuz they needed larger vehicle. That third row is a joke.