Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the easiest quickest way to change a clutch

Its my 3 door I picked up a few weeks ago the throw bearing is locked up so I'm back to driving the wagon and the lift is put back on hold anyway i just wanted to know which is quicker and easier to change the clutch to pull the motor or the trans I have pulled the motor to change the clutch on my wagon but i had alinment problems with the clutch disk so this being a 2wd would it be easier to pull the trans

About a week ago me and Meeky Moose changed my clutch (3door/2wheel) We decided to pull the engine, being that with two of us we could just pick it up and set it on the ground. Thats alot easier then holding a transmission up from under a car.....

-dC

most people say pull the motor if you can. really depends on how you like to work and what tools/space you have available. i work on XT6's so the motor and trans are both very heavy. it's really nice to pull the motor and work above the car. it's clean and easy that way. easier to replace the rear main seal and any other items while the motor is out too. like the oil pan gasket or motor mounts if needed. but i can have the trans out quicker than the motor so if time was critical i might think about just dropping the trans. fewer things to disconnect and no messing with an engine lift (though the engine lift makes it easier because it does all the work). so if you're creative and ambitious getting the trans out and back in would be quicker in my oppinion. but it is annoying working under the car. sure feels nice to have the trans on the floor in a few minutes as opposed to taking pulling the motor. but then the end sucks because you have to install from underneath balancing the trans on a jack.

I have always thought pull the engine, but I just did an '83 gl10 fwd sedan by dropping the tranny. It was a lot easier and faster than I thought it would be.

I guess it might depend on how much "junk" you have under the hood. With that gl10 and the air conditioning, power steering, cruise control, etc, etc, it would have been a lot tougher getting the engine out than with my more basic and "stripped down" 4wd wagon.

It could also depend on if there is anything else you want to do like change seals or gaskets on the engine while you are doing the clutch. I was just doing this last one for my girlfriend's kid. All I was worried about was getting it back on the road because he's a moron and is going to trash the car anyway.

I must have got lucky because getting the tranny lined up and back in was not trouble at all. Use the pitch stop to tilt the engine way back and it should slip right in.

i put a new clutch in my xt6 when i bought it. i put it up on stands so i had 1.5 to 2 feet to work with then un bolted the tranney support the engine first but wiht out removing the axels or anything you can move the tranney back about six inches more than enough to remove and replace the clutch

just my two cents

I wouldn't dare remove the engine on my EA81T to replace the clutch. There is just too much crap connected to the engine to make it worth my while. Plus I've done it by pulling the tranny quite a few times. Now if I had a carb'ed EA81 I would probably pull the motor.