Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emergancy help needed for USMB member in CALI

Our very own Zoombaru is in a bit of trouble...

She's got an 86 GL-10 thats down with timing belt issues...just needs a spring on that thing and the belts on it and it should be golden.

Problem is that the landlord of the current location of the car wants it gone...like last month...and its going to get towed....she needs the car to either:

1. Move under its own power.

2. A temporary place to park it until its running (2 weeks she tells me)

3. ??????

4. Profit!!

Seriously, is there anyone in Cali, around the Fremont (bay area) area that can help her out? Basically its a lack of tools...She's really in a tight spot...lets show her some USMB love....ive done all I can over the phone and messenger...next to flying out there....

I can't do mechanical work, don't have a tow vehicle and am an hour north -- My experience with California is that Subaru help is mighty thin -- if there are no friends or neighbors local to Fremont, she might try Craigslist with a simple plea for help close by. Like to push the car to a parking spot! Or ask is there a way a way to buy off the landlord. Or pay a tow truck driver to move the car somewhere herself (often they know where it's possible to leave a vehicle for a little while, if there's no alternative).

Anything but let a tow-away company take it. They eat you up in a week with fees.

Looking (without an immediate crisis) myself near where I live, the last few weeks, I've flagged down people driving GLs myself and asked if they know a reliable Subaru mechanic hereabouts -- all said no! Scary.

get me there and back, (from minneapolis) and feed me.....

you dont even have to put me up overnight.

im going to get carpal tunnel syndrome from twiddling my thumbs...

belts are quite easy even with the radiator in,

you dont need the springs on the tensioners :P

belts are 20.00 and 22.00 each

the most difficult part of the job is either those lousy embedded nuts in the covers, or the crank bolt.

i just did this on one of mine in june, i think it was 45 minutes

but i had the covers removed already.

betcha miles would LOVE a gig like this.....

I Live about 30 minutes outside of fremont... i might be able to offer assistance... but i have no trailer.... i have a 1998 Yukon that can easily tow that car.... just no trailer...

if i can be of assistance, let me know... as for storage... possibly up the street. i dont know how much help i can offer... i have tools i can bring over, but my expertise is minimial... but i'm an able set of hands!! let me know...

PM me.. :) i hope i can offer some assitance!

Luigi :)

the belt replacement can be performed with a minimum of tools and

patience if one has guidance/instruction.

theres plenty photographic portrayal of the elements involved.

those cotton garden gloves work well for protecting the meaty parts involved.

you dont even have to drain the radiator, there will be some spillage...

belt replacement isnt a hideous monster as far as car repair/maintenance goes.

ive heard some parts stores lend tools also... i believe the only tool not found

in most tool boxes would be a socket large enough for the crank bolt

I'm about 85 miles north of there, and have the space, but that's not much help.

If it has current tags and the neighborhood is a safe one, couldn't it be rolled to where the landlord can't complain? It would still have to be moved every few days.

Soobs are not that big around here like they are farther north or in the mountains. No snow or ice, no need for 4WD, so they're kinda scarce.

Ray Mac

Wow, thanks for all the help, guys. I spoke with one of my friends who rents out space in the building the car is parked at. He's good friends with the landlord and said that the guy won't do anything but bug him to move it, so thankfully the car isn't in immediate danger like I thought it was. The tags that are on the car expired in '00 though, so I can't park it on the street if it comes down to it.

As for the timing belt thing, the car is already dismantled. I made the mistake of taking off the tensioner, and now I have no idea how I'm going to get it back on. The spring is all stretched out and either needs to be bent back into shape or replaced. I'd bend it, but I don't have any pliers. I have a socket set and some wrenches, and a 22mm socket with a 1/2" drive ratchet and a giant pipe for crank pulley purposes, but that's about it. I really need to hunt down a prybar in order to get the belts back in. I don't even have a flat head screwdriver. This is going to get expensive, I can tell already.

Luigi, I got your message from Will. Thanks a lot for the offer to help, there's a good chance I'll take you up on it...especially if you have a prybar. Are you busy Sunday? I'll PM you my number.

Woohoo! USMB meet! That'd be awesome, we should definitely do that.

I also had minimal timing belt experience before I tackled this job. I had only installed timing belts on engines that were out of the car. It's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, this car is just FILTHY. The whole undercarriage is covered in thick black grease, everything is leaking and the car is infested with ants and spiders from being parked under a tree. Tomorrow I'm going to try to pick up a can or 10 of Raid and some engine degreaser. Yuck.

Engine degreaser will work as good as raid, so get like 15 cans of degreaser :)

Also, some of those Do-It-Yourself Car washes have a degreaser setting. My local car wash does and its not too bad. I guess it'd be hard to push the car to a carwash tho :lol:

And yeah, a meet would be nice since I cant find any cool EA82 owners up here in Sac (yet).

-Brian

That package was from you?! I got a notice on my door from FedEx and I was wondering who it was from, but unfortunately, I got home too late to go pick it up. I'll go get it tomorrow though. WOOHOO! Thank you soooo much! You just saved me a ton of time getting one from the junk yard.

For the record, guys, CCR rocks.

Beware using pesticide (as opposed to repellent) types of bug spray -- you'd make the car toxic --- for children particularly, for a long time to come, and for yourself. And you don't need to do that.

www.safe2use.com/government/ny-inert.htm

Easy fix -- Broom, vacuum cleaner, fresh air

-- the flies will leave because of the disturbance,

-- the spiders, who have been helping you all along keep the flies somewhat controlled, will leave because you've chased out the flies.

Easy persistent fix -- mint, catnip, tea tree oil, citronella, all will discourage flies from coming back.

And the spiders, remember, have been there trying to remove the files.

----

A USMB Bay Area get together would be a great idea

Beware using pesticide (as opposed to repellent) types of bug spray -- you'd make the car toxic --- for children particularly, for a long time to come, and for yourself. And you don't need to do that.

www.safe2use.com/government/ny-inert.htm

Eh, I don't like kids much anyway. ;) Never let me around your kids when I have a prybar handy. I might make them help me adjust the belt tension in my Suby.

Woohoo! USMB meet! That'd be awesome, we should definitely do that.

I second the motion!!!! that would be AWESOME. trade parts, ideas, food, BBQ, games, like a giant picnic! count me in!!!

like....WCSS.... for norcal! ....anyone know a place where this could be put together??

Luigi

p.s... someone should try throwing a thread out and see what the response would be...

Luigi, I've put up many a thread in the meet and greet section about a NorCal sube meet, and never get any responce.

Seems from this thread alone, there are quite a few of us old-school subie owners nearby.

I know of a few places. We can start planning, but I wont have much free time until maybe mid-september or maybe later.

I'd like to keep it EA81 and EA82 if possible. Its not hard to find 500 impreza owners, but to find a bunch of USMB gearheads is kinda hard. I'll put up a seperate thread later when I locate a venue.

-Brian