Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MPH vs taller tires

heep70

Ok, I am board here at work, so I decided to re-arrange some formulas to figure out how fast I am really going (MPH) with 26" tall tires. I come up with a couple different answers not far from each other, but well worth a ticket if I choose the wrong one.

So now I come to you folks. What is the MPH offset I will be seeing running 26" tires? I am close to 5 - 6MPH (9.1%) difference (faster) at 55MPH on the speedo. :drunk:

Shouldn't it just be a simple ratio of the original tire size to the new? (original being the size the spedo' is set to)

if v = w*r (v= velocity, w = angular velocity, r = radius), and we give em subscripts (1 = original, 2 = big tires)

thennn...

v1/r1 = w = v2/r2

soo...

v2 = (r2/r1)*v1 :drunk:

yeah, that's right, i'm a physics major, and proud of it! :grin:

so i guess if you wanted the 'percentage' you could just take the ratio of the tire diameters... seems right to me :rolleyes:

I bulit an Excel spreadsheet that has the formulas in it. Interested?

In the short term, your stock size is 23.2" (185/70R13). Your new size is 26", so your speedo is reading slow. When you are indicating 50, you are actually doing ~56. Its a percentage expressed by (old tire diameter)/(new tire diameter). In this case 23.2/26=1.1206. Multiply by your current diff ratio and you get a ratio that brings your speedo back into line. 1.1206*3.7=4.15. If you want to use a really good set of calculators, go to www.4lo.com . They've got the best.

^ an excellent resource. However, since every tire is a little different (not all 205/65/14s are the exact same height, for example), I've just resorted to figuring out the difference myself.

(New tire diameter / stock tire diameter) * indicated speed = actual speed

So, my stock tires are 22.65" and the new ones are 24.5". 24.5 / 22.65 = 1.0816, an 8.16% difference. So, at 60 indicated MPH, I'm really going 64.9.

When I go to 27" tires (27 / 22.65 = 1.1921 = 19.21% difference), 60 indicated will be 71.5 MPH.

You can do the math with either diameter, radius, or circumference, the results are the same.