Ultimate Subaru Message Board

towed a freebie home today.. bragging rights.. :)

picked up an 88' 2wd 5-speed DL wagon today.. towed her home about 100 miles.. was a freebie that sat for 3 years.. (tires were flat and sunk 6 inches into the ground)

after airing up the tires and getting it on the dolly we towed it home..

after we got it home we got it started with some brake clean and a good battery, she smoked like it had a bad headgasket for about an hour... but we changed the oil and its not using coolant and it quit smoking..

only thing i can figure is that there was a rats nest in the exhaust cause it smelled like burning foam/wood chips..

eventually she quit smoking, temp gauge ran just above half (the electric fan was kicking on and off) so some radiator flush and a new thermostat is in order.

she needs some new wires and plugs and some filters..

otherwise she runs good, is spotless inside, the car is 98% rust free, the only rust is the top of the rear fender wells, which is just surface rust anyways..

First pic, got the car loaded behind my 86' wagon (this is the silver 100% rust free wagon i posted for sale a week or so ago)

154111_1144-med.JPG

2nd pic is my buddy posing with his new soob

154111_1146-med.JPG

3rd pic, half ways home, just had to stop for lunch.

154111_1147-med.JPG

my silver wagon (webered 86' 5-speed dual range 4wd GL wagon towed this car 65-75 mph for about 70 miles today, never once got above half on the temp gauge or had any problems at all. and the best part, i got 21mpg towing my wieght + the 500 or so the dolly wieghs..

then later in the day while we had the dolly i had to move a friends truck..

late 80's 4wd chevy s-10 truck.. has a 4.3 v6 and a ton of body parts in teh back.. towed this thing about 20 miles today... my wagon temp gauge never got above half, and i could run 55-60 mph with 5000lbs on behind.. now thats what i call a real wagon..

i did get a bunch of looks from people, along with a thunbs up from a guy in a toyota, lol..

154111_1151-med.JPG

That's fantastic that you could tow so much with so little motor. Not to mention that Subaru doesn't recommend towing more than 1000 lbs. Hah!

I towed a trailer and car full of stuff, about 2000 lbs, from Oregon to Virginia with my Loyale. Even went over the steepest part of the Rockies at Vail on I-70 (in first gear).

Congrats,

Its always good to have a spare.

I was wondering if you messed the 4WD by towing it with a dolly,

but then I went back and reread your post and figured it out. (2wd)

Score!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Wagon

01 Forester

I always wondered if you could tow another car with a Subaru...

Congrats! It looks just like the one I got as my "first Subaru" (that led rapidly into my 4WD GL wagon rescued from the junkyard).

Towing the old 4WD Subarus with 2 wheels up won't hurt 'em - in FWD mode, the rear is totally disconnected. The problem is with the newer AWD ones - those are the ones you can screw up by towing with 2 in the air.

-=Russ=-

stopping was not really an issue, the 4 wheel disc on my wagon helped with that alot..

my buddy is thinking about snagging a white 86 4wd gl from the junkyard and converting the 2wd red dl to 4wd.. i figure the white one has most likely got a good drivetrain cause its only got like 100k on it, its just a rustbucket.

Its not towing ability that the soobie lacks its BRAKES. But it looks like a fun time and I have no room to talk I flat towed a GL with a Legacy.