Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Beefing up the power in a 2005 obw 2.5i?

Hi!

Not sure how to ask this without soundling like a newbie idiot. I AM a newbie, but I'm trying not to be a newbie/idiot.

I just bought a brand new 2005 outback wagon 2.5i. I wanted a more powerful engine, but there was no way to get a higher model and keep the payments where we wanted them.

Is there a way to mod the car and add just a little more power? I don't want to go super mega crazy fast or anything, I'd just like a little more power for pulling out into insane traffic, passing people (getting out of their blind spots before they drift into me!), stuff like that. I have the sports shift.

My husband and I are computer geeks, but not car engine experts. If there are things we can do, my cousin can do the work, he's a brilliant mechanic. I just have not gotten around to calling him to ask him this same question.

My husband guessed maybe a new air filter or intake, but that the parts are not made yet for this new model.

I hope to get a more powerful model maybe in 3 years or so if I can pay down this one... but in the meantime, I'd just like to add a little power for pulling into traffic, passing, etc., if it's at all possible.

Any ideas? Or did I just label myself the ultimate dumb-*ss NOOB? <ducks>

Lauren :)

Whatever you do, please don't put a K&N high flow filter in your new car. It does not increase power, and will allow more dirt and junk into your new engine.

I am sure someone else will have some better solutions to add a bit more power...but there really isn't to much you can do that is not expensive.

Good luck!

Hi!

I wanted a more powerful engine, but there was no way to get a higher model and keep the payments where we wanted them.

Sounds like that's why they didn't get the XT.

If Subaru could make an extra 10 or 20 hp inexpensively and without compromising the longevity of the car, wouldn't they do that right out of the box? I think their engineers are probably pretty smart. I don't think there's a lot one can do, most "performance" mods are geared towards the FI (turbo) models. Maybe Cobb tuning will come out with something, you could check them out. Maybe you could wait until gas is $4 / gallon and people will start unloading their turbo models cheap in favor of the more fuel efficient 2.5i :lol:

Steve

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't get the XT version.

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't read my whole post. I said:

"I wanted a more powerful engine, but there was no way to get a higher model and keep the payments where we wanted them."

...Maybe Cobb tuning will come out with something, you could check them out. Maybe you could wait until gas is $4 / gallon and people will start unloading their turbo models cheap in favor of the more fuel efficient 2.5i :lol:

Steve

Good point! :)

Lauren

Should have bought a forester. Same engine, less weight = vroom vroom.

Does your Outback have the aluminum hood or was that for 2006?

And you could rip out the seats too! Improves acceleration, braking, and cornering! Just strap your passengers with the tie downs.

Your basically screwed in the hp increase department. I suppuse you could bolt on an electric squirrel cage or put on smaller drive pulleys or smaller dia. tires. How about a 50 shot nos job. I'm living with my non XT :( forester and I'm doing Ok. My advice is to really start flogging the car. Power braking, high rpm shifts, and tight cornering. Get used to driving the car like you stole it, use up some of the rubber, that way you know exactly what it can and can't do. Also nothing says get the f outa my way like dents on a new car. Hope this helps.

d.

You could look at the www.ipdusa.com site for starters.

You might need some help installing some of their equipment.

I have a 2005 OBW, 2345 miles on it. I am going in the other direction, trying to drive like the law says, which I have been doing, and getting 27MPG around town.

Different values I guess.

Maybe you should bite the bullet and trade it in on the GT.

Reminds me of an edition of Monster Garage where first thing they do is rip out all the interior crap and put in a smaller gas tank so there is more room for the backhoe attachment.

And you could rip out the seats too! Improves acceleration, braking, and cornering! Just strap your passengers with the tie downs.

How much can you spend? First thing is make sure you buy premium gas (is that the recommended grade for your car?) Better performance and usually better mileage - 2 for 1 at just pennies a gallon difference!

Next , you will get more 'zippy' acceleration with undersized tires. Of corse, the engine will be revving higher, mileage would likely suffer, and you speedometer/odometer will be off. Oh, and any warranty left might be voided.(this MAY be true for any cold air intake/oiled filter too - depnds)

you could try never filling the tank - leave it at 1/2 even 1/3 .Rule of thumb says 1hp equals something between 8-11 lbs. of weight in the car.

If you have around $600-$800, lighter wheels will free up a few ponies, maybe look better (bling!) and perhaps improve handling/ride.

Lastly, don't be afraid to get the revs up - torque doesn't start making it's appearance till around 3800-4000 rpm I think on your car. It's actually good for the engine as it runs a little cooler and there is a little less stress at higher rpms.

Get a sporty muffler, it'll SOUND faster!

Drive with all the windows down - it'll FEEL faster!

lol!

I like the 1/2 gas tank advise. Also am in agreement with the 'drive like hell' and rev the pea wad out of it. Is it true that my '05 yearns to be revved/driven at around 4 RPM? Just seems kinda harsh.

I've found that I can't play a tune on the tranny using the gas pedal. This car (truck?) is just not set up to do that. I've simply resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to actually drive mine and think at the same time ie: use the manual shift mode instead of kicking back and letting the thing shift for me.

I sure would like to drive it at around 3.5 RPM, though. You sure that wouldn't hurt it?

Juan

i take my 2.2 to redline all the time.... the only side effect? it gets a little loud and makes people stare at me alot....( im also running only one cat and the borla header combined with a flowmaster "muffler", and the weapon R intake, it makes the car sound pretty mean.) you wont hurt the motor by revving the piss out of it... they put a rev limiter on it for a reason......

Assuming you're car is past the 'break in' period (please - no arguments over that - do asearch for those discussions) I see NO reason not to regularly go to or a little past the peak torque point when driving(say - 4500 rpm or so). Lugging an engine causes more local heat buildup and excessive pressure.

I don't think ALL driving situations call for going to redline - but I would never feel redline needed to be avoided either.

Wondering how much that reduces clutch life? Sometimes I've noticed a more audible thunk at higher RPM's.

Assuming you're car is past the 'break in' period (please - no arguments over that - do asearch for those discussions) I see NO reason not to regularly go to or a little past the peak torque point when driving(say - 4500 rpm or so). Lugging an engine causes more local heat buildup and excessive pressure.

I don't think ALL driving situations call for going to redline - but I would never feel redline needed to be avoided either.

Wondering how much that reduces clutch life? Sometimes I've noticed a more audible thunk at higher RPM's.

You're right of course - it will have some effect.

I think , in most normal driving, shifting slowly and carefully should allow the rpms to drop and the synchronizers to do their jobs well. The clutch is a wear item and I think Subaru engines are fairly tough under a wide range of driving conditions. I'm not trying to fault anyone elses driving style. Just pointing out that 'babying' an engine can be counterintuitive to what is actually 'easy' for it.

Also, I tend to sacrifice my brakes when decelerating - instead of engine braking. That's not to say, as I'm slowing I don't select the correct gear if an emergency maneuver should call for me to move quickly, I just use the brakes a lot. So , maybe, I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul. Of course, heel-toe and other techniques would be required for racing (techniques I probably should practice) but - ahh - I guess I just take the lazy way out! hah!

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't read my whole post. I said:

"I wanted a more powerful engine, but there was no way to get a higher model and keep the payments where we wanted them."

So, now you are probably going to pay more then the price difference to get the power that you would have had with the XT. Given that, my question is still the same. It's like the old FRAM oil filter commercials, "You can pay me now or pay me later."

I may be old, but I don't need bold print to read, but thanks for thinking about me. I often just skim these posts so I may miss things some times.

How many miles do you have on your Outback? I recently bought a 2005 and have noticed mileage and performance to be noticably greater than 1300 miles ago. I would have chosen a turbo, but this is the wifes car, and I have been pleased with the performance.

I have a 5spd and on the freeway the motor is spinning at 3500rpm, so no, it will not hurt it to rev it up. Around town I never let rpms go below 2K so there is always plenty of power on tap. I don't drive much in town, but I'm getting 28mpg on the freeway and 30mpg on two lanes at 60mph. I've noticed there isn't much reason to exceed 4500rpm unless you really need to go fast, it just hurts the mileage. The torque in the mid-rpms is awesome. If you get used to the car and find its sweet spots I think you will be happy.

andy

I'm getting 28mpg on the freeway and 30mpg on two lanes at 60mph. I

I'm assuming that you are getting your gas milage figures from your dash readout. How accurate do you feel it is?

I've got 6,000 on my '05 automatic and I'm seeing better gas milage on the readout.

Juan

Doing anything to the intake on the 05+ models isn't going to gain anything in the way of hp, it is already very free flowing. If you want a little more power headers and exhaust will add some. 06 models gain a few hp by deleting a cat and adding a smog pump to maintain emmissions.

I'm assuming that you are getting your gas milage figures from your dash readout. How accurate do you feel it is?

I've got 6,000 on my '05 automatic and I'm seeing better gas milage on the readout.

Juan

Those figures I quoted are calculated. I've found that my trip computer is optimisitc by about 1.5-2.0 mpgs depending on the type of driving I'm doing. If it gets even a little better in the next few thousand miles I'll be very happy. My '95 Legacy with the 2.2L gets about the same as is.

Andy

Those figures I quoted are calculated. I've found that my trip computer is optimisitc by about 1.5-2.0 mpgs depending on the type of driving I'm doing. If it gets even a little better in the next few thousand miles I'll be very happy. My '95 Legacy with the 2.2L gets about the same as is.

Andy

I'm surprised to hear the opinions concerning the accuracy of the trip meter.

I would think it would know exactly what MPG is doing. The car knows exactly how far it has traveled and exactly how much fuel it is sending to the engine at any given second. Then it just averages out the sampling over the life of the current trip.

Where as calculations done by hand can have corrupt figures since you can't precisely know how much fuel was used before filling up again. I imagine heat and cold can have an effect on when the gas pump does it's autofill as well. Or maybe different pumps will each have their own tollerance for shutting off.

Where is the mistrust in the car's trip computer coming from?