Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi guys ever heard of a 97 legacy outback safari edtion?

The only thing I can find on the net, is a Suabru Safari Race in Tasmania. What country are you in?

I would suggest taking the VIN number to a dealer's part dept and see what they can tell you. Maybe it was a local package done by a dealership or region to promote the race, the same way that here in the United STates we have Indy Pace Car editions of some cars.

Just a thought.

nipper

The only thing I can find on the net, is a Suabru Safari Race in Tasmania. What country are you in?

I would suggest taking the VIN number to a dealer's part dept and see what they can tell you. Maybe it was a local package done by a dealership or region to promote the race, the same way that here in the United STates we have Indy Pace Car editions of some cars.

Just a thought.

nipper

well im from the US and i think will will check the vin number thxs if i find anything i will tell you guys

well im from the US and i think will will check the vin number thxs if i find anything i will tell you guys

VIN’s don’t necessarily tell the story. My 01 Legacy GT was in for some bodywork and the front bumper for an Outback came in instead of the Legacy GT. My auto body guy told me that my VIN was for an Outback, not a Legacy GT. Weird!

Jack

VIN’s don’t necessarily tell the story. My 01 Legacy GT was in for some bodywork and the front bumper for an Outback came in instead of the Legacy GT. My auto body guy told me that my VIN was for an Outback, not a Legacy GT. Weird!

Jack

So, did they put it on anyway, and if so, is it now an "Outacy" or a "Legaback"?

So, did they put it on anyway, and if so, is it now an "Outacy" or a "Legaback"?

Nope, we waited. Go ahead and picture an outback front end on a GT, which is 3 inches lower (in stock form) than the Outback. I might be dragging those big round fog lights.

Jack

Nope, we waited. Go ahead and picture an outback front end on a GT, which is 3 inches lower (in stock form) than the Outback. I might be dragging those big round fog lights.

Jack

I did see a picture some years ago of someone that put a first gen Outback front bumper on a (same gen) Legacy sedan. He had it painted up body color. It actually looked pretty decent. But on a GT... probably not so good.

Commuter

Well, it's not an Outback but here's a 99 Forester Woody. I think it's hideous, but that's a matter of taste.

They missed the mark with the design treatment. It's obvious they were going for a forties/fifties woody 'look', hence the beanie/beautyring wheel treatment with whitewalls. To keep the look 'correct' they should have avoided the rear fender flare and left it body color. No real woody ever had the wood go all the way to the wheel arch.

Close, but. I give it a 'C'.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

sorry for the extremely long wait i decided to revive this topic because i asked a mechanic who knew about subarus and he said it was a special model sort of like the ll bean edition but it was only produced for a few months i will post some pics soon and to clarify, it has wood trim around the window switches and around the center console i will take a few pictures very soon,

thanks for your help